Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-14-2018, 06:17 PM

Default Bc Winter whitefish ice fishing break on the Fly

I know some of you guys may go to bc snowmobiling and skiing in the winter. If you're in the Vernon / kelowna area in November/ December bring your fly rod and go check out the shore fishing for whites. Sight fishing huge schools. 10 to 50 fish at a time. Success seems to vary on the day. This was my first try.

Fly Fishing for whitefish on Kalamalka lake in the winter months was introduced to me this year. I went out and walked along the shore until I noticed schools of mountain whitefish. Then I set up and started casting out small black flies on a float. They liked slow movement of the fly. Either a falling fly or a slowly pulled fly. The wind action also seems to help a big. These hard fighting fish are great fund to catch and the schooling behavior is fun to watch even when they aren't biting. If anyone knows what kind of whites these are i'd be interested in knowing. Look like some sort of mountain white but don't quite have the snout of the Rocky Mountian whites I've caught before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OntiCZwrY1E

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 02-15-2018, 08:33 AM

Nice, looks like a very peaceful day. Great scenery and feesh. Thx for sharing.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:34 AM

Nothing but awesome there Brandon. Great report! Glad to see you trying all the types of fishing. I could see myself trying a trip like that out. One thing about sight fishing for whites, any problems just melt away as you concentrate and watch the take. I know fishing in general is therapeutic but sight fishing really is the medicine we all need