Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-12-2018, 09:47 PM

Default Guided elk bow hunt in Montana or idaho

A friend is looking for advice on a good guide / outfitter for an Idaho or Montana elk bow hunt. If anyone has firsthand experience to share that would be appreciated. PM if you'd rather not broadcast info. Thx
Old 04-22-2018, 02:19 PM

Have first hand experience in SW Colorado but not in Idaho or Montana. I know around Lewistown, MT they have some big bulls down there.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:40 PM

What kind of experience is he looking for? There are lots of different outfitters, and lots of different price ranges. Is he looking for a 250 class or 350? a bit more detail would help a lot. Most of those guys get a few big bulls every year, but the majority is your average bull that you could take in alberta.
Old 04-22-2018, 04:15 PM

He is after a quality hunt in terms of lots of calling, responses to bugeling, close range encounters, good guides, foot or horseback, and is not focused on getting a huge 350 bull (although that would be a plus). Obviously we all like to see and have opportunity at huge bulls but those areas typically come at a much higher price tag.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:19 PM

If I was seriously considering a guided elk hunt in the lower 48 I would join rokslide.com and pose this question in their elk hunting forum.
There is a ton of american elk hunters on that forum with a ton of knowledge.
Surely someone there can point you in the right direction.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
A friend is looking for advice on a good guide / outfitter for an Idaho or Montana elk bow hunt. If anyone has firsthand experience to share that would be appreciated. PM if you'd rather not broadcast info. Thx
For this year or future years? Deadline for non-residents to put in for Elk has come and gone here in Montana. When the surplus licenses come available for sale over the counter there may be some left over but no guarantees. I believe that happens in mid August but you may want to double check that date. If you get a tag, just find an outfitter as mentioned. Plenty of elk all over Montana. If you look around Lewistown or White Sulfur Springs they have an over abundance of elk. HD313 used to be a huge trophy elk district but that was back in the 90s. People still want to hunt it like it was back then but while there are some big bulls, the numbers are down. Plus 313 is open to a general tag the first 3 weeks of the season. Last 2 weeks are permit only and that is usually when the big bulls make their appearance. Several outfitters down there although if your not a big tipper, they won't put you on the biggest bulls or take you to the best areas. They'll say different but numerous reports from former clients all sing the same tune...
Old 04-23-2018, 07:07 AM

While pronghorn hunting with Muleshoe Outfitters out of Pinedale Wyoming a couple of years ago, they came in with 6 bow-hunters who had 5 nice bulls. The 6th guy messed up on a big bull (saw the pics) at less than 10 yds. Based on that, I'd certainly recommend them. They are great people and have a spectacular area to hunt.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingershooter View Post
While pronghorn hunting with Muleshoe Outfitters out of Pinedale Wyoming a couple of years ago, they came in with 6 bow-hunters who had 5 nice bulls. The 6th guy messed up on a big bull (saw the pics) at less than 10 yds. Based on that, I'd certainly recommend them. They are great people and have a spectacular area to hunt.
Wyoming takes 6-10 years to draw those elk tags, that’s a long wait
Old 04-23-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
Where is your friend from ? What price range is he looking to spend in ?

For elk the money really does talk on 98% of these hunts
Old 04-23-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Wyoming takes 6-10 years to draw those elk tags, that’s a long wait
Oh, that explains why the hunting isso good there then.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:35 PM

Some guides have landowner tags that you can buy rather than wait out the priority point system but those get a little pricey as well
Old 04-24-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rady0601 View Post
Some guides have landowner tags that you can buy rather than wait out the priority point system but those get a little pricey as well
Wyoming doesn’t have landowner tags for NR, no guides have these available for sale.

Other states do, but as you said those do get a little pricey. North of $10,000 for any truly good area now that you’d be willing to pay for.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rady0601 View Post
You can't sell your Landowner tag in Montana. That would result in a citation to the landowner for loan and transfer, and then a citation to the hunter for hunting w/o a license and illegal possession.