Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-13-2018, 01:45 PM

Couple good rains and a wind on a warm day can rot out alot of ice quickly. Im betting it'll be gone on most lakes south of Swan Hills by May long weekend
Old 04-13-2018, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
The water underneath the ice will be at 4C and the air temperature will be above zero, it thusly will take less than 7ml of 10C rainwater to change 1g of ice into pike fishing time!!
Not entirely true. Water is most dense at 4C and gets progressively less dense between 4C and 0C. So any 4C water will sink right to the bottom of the lake. Above that will be water at 3C, then 2C, then 1C, and right up against the bottom of the ice will be water at 0C. So don't expect any help melting the ice from below by the 0C water that is in contact with the bottom of the ice.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isopod View Post
Not entirely true. Water is most dense at 4C and gets progressively less dense between 4C and 0C. So any 4C water will sink right to the bottom of the lake. Above that will be water at 3C, then 2C, then 1C, and right up against the bottom of the ice will be water at 0C. So don't expect any help melting the ice from below by the 0C water that is in contact with the bottom of the ice.
You are absolutely right. While the lake is 100% covered, the lake water will have very little to do with the melting process
Old 04-14-2018, 04:12 PM

Took a walk down to the lake this morning, two guys ice fishing with their truck parked on the ice, they reckoned there was three foot of ice still there, I started weeping like a child, guess I won’t be on there for a while
Old 04-14-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampy45 View Post
The good news... lots of lakes to ice fish for the next few weeks yet!
Still 18" at the St.Anne narrows today but REALLY slushy and lots of open water around the bridge.

Keep an eye on your dogs if your out, mine went through the ice chasing a Muskrat.

Didn't take him long to stop kicking, had to jump in after him in waste deep water.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:45 PM

Quote:
You are absolutely right. While the lake is 100% covered, the lake water will have very little to do with the melting process
when snow melts on land and migrates down hills and through coulees and the like, some water flows atop the ice and a lot travels under the ice. that moving water is fairly aggressive in degrading the ice.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:22 PM

Lakes will all be open, you heard it here first .

Starting Friday double digit temperatures for the foreseeable future. Some lakes will start opening up by the end of the month and the rest will follow shortly.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:36 AM

I saw a forecast that said we would hit 21 degrees next week. With temps like that and a little wind, we just might get that damned ice off in time. Fingers crossed.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:29 AM

So your all saying, ice will be off in 4 weeks when it took about 16 weeks to get over 3 feet thick. I don't think so. Most years the ice around the shore lines are meltinting by now and i'm starting to work on my grass and yard by now. Not for a couple weeks yet till I can do the grass. The garden is still frozen solid still. Won't be tilling it for a few weeks if I'm lucky. Still got a foot of snow in the back yard in some places.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
So your all saying, ice will be off in 4 weeks when it took about 16 weeks to get over 3 feet thick. I don't think so. Most years the ice around the shore lines are meltinting by now and i'm starting to work on my grass and yard by now. Not for a couple weeks yet till I can do the grass. The garden is still frozen solid still. Won't be tilling it for a few weeks if I'm lucky. Still got a foot of snow in the back yard in some places.
Ice breaks up much faster then it forms. For ice to form the cold air above has to suck the energy through the already formed ice to cool the water below which then freezes to thicken the ice. The existing ice and any snow on top insulates and slows down this process. Radiation heat also slows down this process by heating the top of the ice even if the weather is cold(which is why snow and ice melt on a sunny day even if it is below freezing).

When melting the ice melts from both the warm air above and the warm water below. Radiation heat has a significant effect(already have nice long days) and wind, rain and runoff all speed up the process as well. The ice rots through much of its thickness to the point where you can't even walk on 12 inches of ice anymore then it disappears within days. Even with our lower temperatures I would wager our ice has already been melting for a bit now(from the water below).

In 2016 9 days is all it took for one of our smaller lakes to go from having open water around the edges and the odd person still out on the ice to being mostly ice free.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:51 AM

I wonder how many tiger torches I can attach to my boat.......
Old 04-17-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampy45 View Post
but how many joules does it take to melt the ice my beer is sitting in?
I tried that exact experiment for years and years .......... never found out .... but the cool beer was very refreshing ....

Last year we were on Cold Lake and most the lake was absolutely impassable on Friday with Ice covering virtually 3/4 of the lake, edge to edge, and all along the shoreline there was only a small amount of open water from the west all the way around north. One solid mass, miles and miles in either direction, it was crazy.

We were limited to only a kilometre or two along the south size from the marina and towards french bay.

We found this out by taking a drive Friday evening around the lake and stopping at various spots.

Friday night was mildly windy and Saturday the sun came out and withing hours the ice started breaking up and the center mass seemed to "pulling away" from the shore quite quickly.

Sunday - the lake was 100% ice free except for one large broken up mass of small floating ice in the middle of the lake.

I was absolutely stunned how quickly that happened.

I would not have believed it if I had not seen it with my own eyes.

The picture posted was taken on Sunday while burning across the lake.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:38 PM

Old 04-23-2018, 12:55 AM
Banned

Does anyone still think that there will be ice on the lakes for May Long?
Old 04-23-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Heat is transferable from all sources. So, as the ground heats up, it transfers at least a portion of it to the lake. The only perfect insulator is a vacuum.

It takes 1 calorie to heat 1g of water 1C. There are 4.2 joules/calorie. Conservation of energy works both ways, so cooling 1 mL of water from 10C (the average temperature of a spring shower) to 0C (the temperature of ice at phase change) will transfer 42 joules of heat energy.

We need to take into account that ice is less dense than water. So 1g of water is 1 cm^3 or 1 mL. 1cm^3 of ice is 0.9g

if you want to do all the ratios, it takes approximately 7mL of water at 10C to change 1mL of ice into water. since heat is being transferred from all directions. The ice itself is not an infinite heat sink. The water underneath the ice will be at 4C and the air temperature will be above zero, it thusly will take less than 7ml of 10C rainwater to change 1g of ice into pike fishing time!!
Wow ok well I'm impressed! I was terrible in science and math!
So long story short tho with temps above zero for the next 2 weeks WHEN is it going to be pike time