Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-19-2018, 10:52 AM

Default Impassable slush and too many elk

I snowshoed in to my land to check my trail cams yesterday and it was about the toughest slog I have ever done. Every 3rd step we would sink up to our thighs in the deepest most rotted snow I have ever tried to move through. My herd of 40 elk have paved my land with crap. There is not a growth tip to be had. Anyone ever seen what 40 elk do to a few acres after a few months of 12 hours a day of feeding and crapping. Hundreds and hundreds of small trees will be dead as they have been girdled up and down. It looks like a dirt trail but the actual ground is another foot below. I wished for elk on my land, so I guess this one is on me. Be careful what you wish for
Old 04-19-2018, 10:56 AM

I can help you this fall!
Old 04-19-2018, 10:58 AM

What part of Alberta I'm headed to my cabin tomorrow up by teepee Creek got to quad in 400 yards.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
What part of Alberta I'm headed to my cabin tomorrow up by teepee Creek got to quad in 400 yards.

Quad! Don't bother. My 4wd tractor couldn't move in this crap. Big big snowshoes or nothing. I am in GP.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:04 AM

I do have chains on all four tires I'm hoping that'll make the difference and I'm getting there at 8 in the morning hopefully well it still froze

Old 04-19-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
I have never seen an elk on my land in 20 years. They won't be around in the fall, but if they are, you can be sure I will help myself...
Old 04-19-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
I do have chains on all four tires I'm hoping that'll make the difference and I'm getting there at 8 in the morning hopefully well it still froze

Bring snowshoes. Access will be impossible without them.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:08 AM

Okay thanks I got a buddy with a sled not too far away

Old 04-19-2018, 03:06 PM

Have the elk shed antlers or all cows?
Old 04-19-2018, 03:45 PM

There are at least 3 bulls in the herd and as of yesterday, at least 2 for sure (a very thin 6x6 and a handsome split point spike) were still packing, but I found some blood in the snow near some very recently wrecked alders so maybe one dropped his.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:39 PM

Lots of snow this year!
Old 04-20-2018, 07:25 AM
Banned

The elk I've seen still carrying to should drop soon I'd think.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:21 AM

Default Wow

I’m surprised with the amount. We had a decent snowfall season but not crazy in the North h where I am.
Did Peace River country and North suffer as well?
Old 04-20-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays toyz View Post
There are at least 3 bulls in the herd and as of yesterday, at least 2 for sure (a very thin 6x6 and a handsome split point spike) were still packing, but I found some blood in the snow near some very recently wrecked alders so maybe one dropped his.
Drove through jasper last week on my way to visit the daughter... and yes still packin head gear!!!
Old 04-20-2018, 12:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Quad! Don't bother. My 4wd tractor couldn't move in this crap. Big big snowshoes or nothing. I am in GP.
Ain't that the truth. D6 isn't enough cat in some places.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:36 AM

Quote:

Did you make it in? It's amazing the snow melt in town but every year I am equally amazed how much still is in the bush.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Did you make it in? It's amazing the snow melt in town but every year I am equally amazed how much still is in the bush.
Headed out sunday early .
Old 04-21-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
I also can help
Old 04-21-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:

Don’t count on a sled being much better in some places. Our snow was so rotten I had a hell of a time just moving them across my yard to store them for the summer. They wouldn’t stay on top just slide through the bottom. Very similar to risig through 16” of slush.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:31 AM
Banned

I hate elk, they wreck all the good hunting. After the elk moved in so did all the idiots of the hunting community. Not only will elk take over an area, the band of reckless idiots that chase after them will as well. I've seen people do the most dangerous things chasing after elk, driving them down in fields they have no permission on, shooting out of MOVING vehicles, never once taking the time to look at the backdrop.

I hear what you're saying, careful what you wish for!
Old 04-21-2018, 09:04 AM
Banned

Very true Kurt.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I hate elk, they wreck all the good hunting. After the elk moved in so did all the idiots of the hunting community. Not only will elk take over an area, the band of reckless idiots that chase after them will as well. I've seen people do the most dangerous things chasing after elk, driving them down in fields they have no permission on, shooting out of MOVING vehicles, never once taking the time to look at the backdrop.

I hear what you're saying, careful what you wish for!
Ya, some people just seem to go full re tard over elk. Unfortunately we are all thrown into the same category. Getting permisson on decent land these days is next to impossible. Seeing how some people act it is no surprise....

If there world is warming why is there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why are you demanding special treatment?
Old 04-21-2018, 05:52 PM

It can be the hardest part of elk hunting ^^
Old 04-22-2018, 08:21 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky7mm View Post
Ya, some people just seem to go full re tard over elk. Unfortunately we are all thrown into the same category. Getting permisson on decent land these days is next to impossible. Seeing how some people act it is no surprise....
oh yeah, full on is correct. I have an area in which i have hunted over the years. Its a full mile walk in and the herd take about 3 different routes thru the area going to their bedding grounds for the day. In that spot i sit in i have had twice the herd pop over the road and come right to me on a string. Both times within 30 seconds or so pickups out on the road, guns out the window, guns off the hood, shots fired at the herd while running dead straight away. texas heart shots all the way. very dangerous and i quit going there. i had a couple of the neighbours that we would shoot a quick text to if i was in an area and they were on the other side of the 1/4 and stuff like that in which works great. not anymore tho. one thing that was brought up in conversations is that guys would say it was those 'city guys'. don't know anything blah blah. but these folks were most always locals and neighbours. when confronted they would outright lie to your face. then run and duck when i told them how many got out and shot, how many shots, colour of coats and truck. one thing i have learned over the years is that there is always someone watching. it aint worth it.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin View Post
oh yeah, full on is correct. I have an area in which i have hunted over the years. Its a full mile walk in and the herd take about 3 different routes thru the area going to their bedding grounds for the day. In that spot i sit in i have had twice the herd pop over the road and come right to me on a string. Both times within 30 seconds or so pickups out on the road, guns out the window, guns off the hood, shots fired at the herd while running dead straight away. texas heart shots all the way. very dangerous and i quit going there. i had a couple of the neighbours that we would shoot a quick text to if i was in an area and they were on the other side of the 1/4 and stuff like that in which works great. not anymore tho. one thing that was brought up in conversations is that guys would say it was those 'city guys'. don't know anything blah blah. but these folks were most always locals and neighbours. when confronted they would outright lie to your face. then run and duck when i told them how many got out and shot, how many shots, colour of coats and truck. one thing i have learned over the years is that there is always someone watching. it aint worth it.
I watched the Barrhead John Deere rep in the company truck fly across a field chasing a herd of elk shooting out of the truck, one of the most reckless things I've ever seen, and it happened with a company vehicle. I can't believe how stupid people get over elk.
Old 04-22-2018, 10:45 AM

Not getting in for a few more weeks

Old 04-22-2018, 11:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Not getting in for a few more weeks

Wife said +16 on weds. If the wind keeps up it’ll make short work of the snow.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:10 AM

I was out at my land today and though still impassable, the rotten snow has diminished by half in a week. One more week and you will be in.