Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-17-2010, 07:34 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bit Runner. View Post
Dave, Its a statement that goes with my whole post,You obviously never read the whole thing or your stupid comment on my post would not be here.

Let me ask you one question. Do you think the crossbow has a huge advantage on the situation in my last post? Just a ohnest answer would be great. Of course you and everyother person on here would say YES to that answer. How could you not!!!!!!!!!
Hate to rain on your parade bit but it's pretty hard to rest a crossbow on a tree or even get behind a tree to shoot. Horizontal limbs add an entirely new set of issues to deal with. For every instance of a crossbow having an advantage, you could list one where a compound would have an advantage. They are large, wide, cumbersome, heavy objects that are not well suited to still hunting or spot and stalk. For all the guys that say if they'd have had a crossbow they could have made kills...there is no way you could know that. You might not have even have been able to get in that position with a crossbow. Unlike a gun, you just can't lean up against a tree or shoot between some branches or swing it around to shoot. It just doesn't work that way. Crossbows require a ton of clearance on all sides to work.

Last edited by sheephunter; 12-17-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:41 PM

pottymouth;Again, putting Mule deer on a draw system for bowhunters I don't believe is an effective way to increase numbers and trophies, in Alberta.

Now your Just being Naive.Eitherway I finished my survey and Voted Yes.

No Harm can come from Crossbows in alberta.Will i Buy a Crossbow if they allow them??? Probabley not.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
If the crossbow is loaded then you have to assume that you have an arrow ready to be drawn on the compound bow. Unless you always hunt with the crossbow at the ready like a SWAT guy entering a house, your going to have to move to get that crossbow to your shoulder. Likewise you will have to move to draw the compound bow.

Like I stated earlier, a compound bow takes extra effort to draw but as far as movement goes there's not a heck of allot more giving this situation. Make sense?

Your assuming now that a crossbow hunter is gonna walk in the woods much like a rifle hunter would, with the Swat senerio. I will assume you have never bowhunted when saying this. The majority Bowhunters hunt out of a tree stand, or blind. they will have to cut and limb out lane ways. Trajectory of crossbow is relatively the same, making me certain that the hunting style is similar. With only a movement of a single finger Dave, a crossbow hunter rested on his treestand rest, that rifle hunters use, will be able to shoot a deer. He will have the benefit of less than 1% movement, and the ability to hold that position for hours, down his lane way. If crossbow legislation ruled that crossbows had to be manually loaded and held by muscular power, I'm sure there would be little or no arguements.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Let me ask you one question. Do you think the crossbow has a huge advantage on the situation in my last post? Just a ohnest answer would be great. Of course you and everyother person on here would say YES to that answer. How could you not!!!!!!!!!
Honest answer.......No, it does not have a huge advantage over a compound bow. Unless, like I said, you have it at the ready like a SWAT team member entering a house. You still have to get the crossbow to your shoulder in order to aim. Whether or not there's more or less movement than drawing a compound bow is debatable but for anyone that thinks it's a HUGE advantage you are sadly mistaken. I have hunted with both and what some archers may imagine as a huge advantage...well, it simply is not true.

That's my honest opinion.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Hate to rain on your parade bit but it's pretty hard to rest a crossbow on a tree or even get behind a tree to shoot. Horizontal limbs add an entirely new set of issues to deal with. For every instance of a crossbow having an advantage, you could list one where a compound would have an advantage. They are large, wide, cumbersome, heavy objects that are not well suited to still hunting or spot and stalk. For all the guys that say if they'd have had a crossbow they could have made kills...there is no way you could know that. You might not have even have been able to get in that position with a crossbow. Unlike a gun, you just can't lean up against a tree or shoot between some branches or swing it around to shoot. It just doesn't work that way. Crossbows require a ton of clearance on all sides to work.
I agree TJ about them being cumbersome and awkward, and perhaps difficult to handle in certain senerio's. I also know when stalking game like antelope with a decoy, not having to pop up above the decoy, and have the ability to shoot from the prone position, is an advantage. I know would have got me a couple more prairie critters, than the resume shows. You have to agree on that senerio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
pottymouth;Again, putting Mule deer on a draw system for bowhunters I don't believe is an effective way to increase numbers and trophies, in Alberta.

Now your Just being Naive.Eitherway I finished my survey and Voted Yes.

No Harm can come from Crossbows in alberta.Will i Buy a Crossbow if they allow them??? Probabley not.

I'm open to hearing your explaination as to why I am Naive???
Old 12-17-2010, 07:50 PM
sheephunter

And you're in your treestand Potty and a deer walks by on the left. You simply pivot, draw and shoot, despite the fact that your bow is only inches from the tree. With a crossbow you watch it walk. The scenarios both ways are endless. I agree that a crossbow being held at full draw may be enough to exclude it as archeryu gear but all the "what if" scenarios here are getting rediculous. Time and time it's been proven that crossbow harvest is right on par with vertical bow harvest in areas where both are permitted in archery season. Your beating an imaginary dead horse. There is no overall advantage that will increase harvest. It would be nice to see this issue debated on the facts but I doubt that's ever going to happen...........
Old 12-17-2010, 07:52 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
I agree TJ about them being cumbersome and awkward, and perhaps difficult to handle in certain senerio's. I also know when stalking game like antelope with a decoy, not having to pop up above the decoy, and have the ability to shoot from the prone position, is an advantage. I know would have got me a couple more prairie critters, than the resume shows. You have to agree on that senerio.

I'd agree on lots of scenarios where the crossbow would offer up an advantage just as I'd agree on lots of scenarios where the compound has an advantage. The point is, there is no overall advantage. Isolated cases for both...absolutely.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
What do you not see here sheephunter. Rest on a tree was a example, Just figure he is resting it on any thing that he can his knee in a prone postion for all that matters, point i am making is he is ready to go at any time. With very little movement or having to let back down because he cant hold any longer. I do not see why there is any arguement on this at all its a 100% no brainer.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:55 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
What do you not see here sheephunter. Rest on a tree was a example, Just figure he is resting it on any thing that he can his knee in a prone postion for all that matters, point i am making is he is ready to go at any time. With very little movement or having to let back down because he cant hold any longer. I do not see why there is any arguement on this at all its a 100% no brainer.
But it was a poor example and shows how little understanding of crossbows you have. As I said to Potty......no doubt each has an advantage in isolated cases...so what? Harvest stats do not favour crossbows......why is that if they offer such a huge advantage?
Old 12-17-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
No i'm with TJ,differnent advantages for both compound and crossbows.No argument about it.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
And you're in your treestand Potty and a deer walks by on the left. You simply pivot, draw and shoot, despite the fact that your bow is only inches from the tree. With a crossbow you watch it walk. The scenarios both ways are endless. I agree that a crossbow being held at full draw may be enough to exclude it as archeryu gear but all the "what if" scenarios here are getting rediculous. Time and time it's been proven that crossbow harvest is right on par with vertical bow harvest in areas where both are permitted in archery season. Your beating an imaginary dead horse. There is no overall advantage that will increase harvest. It would be nice to see this issue debated on the facts but I doubt that's ever going to happen...........
Again I agree with you, but you would position your lanes accordingly, just like a right handed archer has no lanes at his 5 o'clock position(back right), it's a very difficult shot to take. Pro's and con's to both forsure.

I'm NOT debating the fact that they have similar harvest rates, just saying that technology behind crossbows makes it an easier tool.

*oops edit mistakes
Old 12-17-2010, 07:58 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
I'm debating the fact that they have similar harvest rates, just saying that technology behind crossbows makes it an easier tool.
In some situations..absolutely...in others...hardly. At the end of the day it doesn't matter if that one elk scenario or antelope scenario favours the crossbow. The big pictures says there is no OVERALL advantage, at least when it comes to killing critters. The only question is, "Is it archery tackle?"
Old 12-17-2010, 07:58 PM

Thumbs down

Sheephunter,This is what you said;
It would be nice to see this issue debated on the facts but I doubt that's ever going to happen...........

The fact is the crossbow is at full draw ready to go with the touch of a trigger. You dont have to let down a cross bow and re draw it. Enough said i would think wouldnt you. Those are the facts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-17-2010, 08:01 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Sheephunter,This is what you said;
It would be nice to see this issue debated on the facts but I doubt that's ever going to happen...........

The fact is the crossbow is at full draw ready to go with the touch of a trigger. You dont have to let down a cross bow and re draw it. Enough said i would think wouldnt you. Those are the facts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is definitely a fact.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
ok, i see, you are behind in the understanding of the tool. typical crossbow draw weight is around 150 lbs. because the power stroke is much shorter, and the bolt much heavier, arrow speed are generally in the 300-350 fps range. because the bolt is shorter and heavier, it has much less ballistic coefficient....meaning it drops much faster than a longer lighter arrow which effectively reduces range. so, you have a projectile travelling at about the same speed as one from a vertical bow. my reezen for example is sjooting around 318 fps. with a practical range of around 40 yards the useful hunting range is pretty close for most guys. hmmm....seems like a similar speed and a similar range would explain the similar success rate. but if you have a different explanation as to why stats have been proven the same for 30 plus years id love to hear it. the question is simple....if xbows are so much better, then why dont they kill more?
Thanks for some insight into the x-bow. I didn't realize that they only push the bolt out at 300ish ft/sec.
The only x-bow action I've ever witnessed was on tv. It sure appears that a bolt flys alot faster and straighter than an arrow does.
One thing that hasn't been discussed is tuning.
A big part of bowhunting / archery is tuning. You don't just pick a bow off the wall and go hunting. It would appear to me that a x-bow would be more like a [B]rifle[B] in that respect. I've spent alot of time paper tuning broadhead tuning,etc,etc proir to even thinking about hunting with my bow.
Does the same apply to an x-bow??
If the answer is no than that alone is a good enough reason to vote no
Old 12-17-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:

I'm open to hearing your explaination as to why I am Naive???
Your being Naive in the sense that you dont want to believe that having archery Muledeer on Draw will better manage the species.Right now anyone can buy a general archery mulebuck tag and hunt any WMU in alberta.Thats not Management.

Therefore if Archery Muledeer goes on Draw You might have to wait a couple or few years to Draw a Mule Buck Tag.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Your being Naive in the sense that you dont want to believe that having archery Muledeer on Draw will better manage the species.Right now anyone can buy a general archery mulebuck tag and hunt any WMU in alberta.Thats not Management.

Therefore if Archery Muledeer goes on Draw You might have to wait a couple or few years to Draw a Mule Buck Tag.
Do you have the archery mule buck harvest rates, so I can see what your talking about. I'm sure the rate of archery success is very low, and negligible in the big picture.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Do you have the archery mule buck harvest rates, so I can see what your talking about. I'm sure the rate of archery success is very low, and negligible in the big picture.
You dont need to see what i'm Talking about when you already KNOW what i'm talking about,again dont be Naive To the Situation.

I Said 1.5 years ago that there will be crossbows in the archery season and that muledeer will go on draw for archery.Guys on here including yourself laughed at me and figured I was in Fantasy land,well Guess again EH!
Old 12-17-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
no mountain guy....you are missing the question. in many places in north america crossbows have been allowed in archery seasons for 30 years and even more. the results are in. this might be a new idea in alberta, but it isnt new across the continent. crossbows have virtually identical success rates to vertical archers. if a crossbow is so much more deadly according to some, then why are success rates the same?
To me success rates are irrelevent to this whole issue. I know guys that probably have lower success rates with their rifles than most bowhunters !
Does that mean that they should be able to hunt archery season with their rifles??
To me, x-bows are fundamentally closer to a rifle than they are to other forms of archery. Drawing and holding being the main reason.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post

I already hunt with a crossbow due to a permanent disability (Two surgeries for a wonky shoulder). The only difference between hunting with a crossbow and hunting with a long bow is that you don't have to draw before taking a shot with a crossbow. Everything else is basically the same in the way of how you have to hunt.
Given your disability, I have absolutley no problem with you or anyone else who is unable to shoot a compound, recurve or long bow because of a disability being allowed to use a crossbow in the archery season. However , I disagree with the second and third sentences quoted above. If the only difference between hunting with a crossbow and hunting with a long bow (and a recurve or compound, presumably) is that you don't have to draw before taking a shot, then, as long as you are physically able to draw one, why not just use a long bow, recurve or compound and forget about the cross bow until rifle season when you can use it if you want to. Sorry, HunterDave, I don't buy it.
I voted NO.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
You dont need to see what i'm Talking about when you already KNOW what i'm talking about,again dont be Naive To the Situation.
!
Unfortunatly i don't know what your talking about, That's why I've asked to you 2 X now to explain it and show me your evidence
Old 12-17-2010, 09:04 PM

The bottom line for me is a crossbow is not considered archery tackle by The Province's own definition as outlined in the Wildlife act. I am sure alot of thought went into the definition, and crossbows were obviously around when this definition was put into the act.

You can make all the comparisons, analogies, hypothetical situations you want, nothing will change the fact that a crossbow is not currently considered legal archery tackle because you don't have to hold it by muscular power at full draw; the whole basis of the legal definition of a legal hunting bow!No matter what new technologies bows incorporate the fact remains it is a bow when held at draw by your own muscular power.

Right now bowhunters are approx. 15% of the overall hunter numbers yet the vast majority that have never bowhunted get to decide the future of the archery season? Based on harvest numbers archers harvest less than 10%, so if crossbows are introduced it is a safe bet that this new group of "bowhunters" will be harvesting more than 10% in the bow season, based soley on more hunters in the archery season.

If this goes through It would be a safe bet that the crossbow and vertical bow hunters would lobby hard for all species seperate draws like Antelope and 410 and 408 sheep currently have to properly represent the harvest rates that the data shows from bow season harvest based on user numbers.

Based on this scenario it really seems like it is opening a can of worms, if this goes through I am sure the next can of wormss to be opened would be a seperate muzzleloader season, even further carving up the harvest data and who knows what kind of implications ie; longer draw waits for a rifle tag this could pose...

Last edited by LongDraw; 12-17-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Exactly!!! On the ground is where the huge diifernce is. Like i said before you might as well have a gun in your hand when hunting with a cross bow in archery season. When your busted by a 340 bull at 10 yards and you could not draw your bow prior or you had it drawn and he took to long to get into the shooting lane and now you have to let down,compared to just resting your arm on a tree at full draw for ever if needed with your cross bow looking through your SCOPE and just pulling the trigger.hmmmm yep like i said might as well have a 300 win mag in archery season. What a fricken joke!!!!!!!!!
99% hunter, 1% tool, the guy who's figured out how to repeatedly call in bull elk and is already getting the chances has probably figured out how to kill them with whatever is in his hands too, calling in several bulls a day....crossbow might get you one on the second bull instead of the third (hypothetical to your one situation)....but don't get the jitters and blow it with your first shot, then your caller stops the bull for a second shot and your trying to reload your crossbow....ha.....good luck with that.....for every scenerio there is another where the compound would be the better choice, it absolutely is the more versatile weapon over the crossbow.....ask yourself, how many hardcore elk guys are going to head to the field with a crossbow anyhow? none you know....whats the worry?, we hardcore guys like our compounds, there will be plenty of other places and types of hunting for where the crossbow will shine but when it gets to nitty gritty bowhunting your likely only going to run into guys with compounds....why? because its the better tool for more situations overall

there is nothing to be scared of here, just another bow, stepping out from behind a tree with vertical bow just enough to shoot is an advantage....better stand back with the horizontal bow, its never ending...one can do this better, one can do that better, blah blah, harvest stats same so all are silly arguments.....i'd rather be able to reload quickly and shoot again as many times you do get a second chance, if even to throw a finisher into something, the compound is way more versatile, quieter, lighter, holds energy down range better.....there is a long list of pros for the compound over the crossbow, once you learn about the tool it becomes very not scary, more pain in arse tool if you ask me, i think you'd have more to consider at 'go time' then with compound....but could be because i'm really used to my compound, i'd be worried a bunch about what those limbs might come in contact with etc., it would be a new learning curve figuring out the true field limitations/tricks with one of those.....compounds are slick, they are in line with you, most vegitation/trees etc. is inline with you also....makes it something you don't have to think about much, the list goes on
Old 12-17-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
I know at least 10 guys here in the south that shoot a160 -200 inch mule deer buck every year . In a 5 year period thats a lot of trophy deer that arnt included in the draw stats and thats just from a hand full of guys. I guarantee there are alot more than 10 guys buying a general tag and hunting mulies in the draw zones. And ya i think crossbows should be included with archery.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguyd View Post
I know at least 10 guys here in the south that shoot a160 -200 inch mule deer buck every year.
thanks for pointing that out, i thought the tool having to be drawn in the presence of game wouldn't make it so easy on those southern muley's, or is it possibly 99% hunter?

just sayin
Old 12-17-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
99% hunter, 1% tool, the guy who's figured out how to repeatedly call in bull elk and is already getting the chances has probably figured out how to kill them with whatever is in his hands too, calling in several bulls a day....crossbow might get you one on the second bull instead of the third (hypothetical to your one situation)....but don't get the jitters and blow it with your first shot, then your caller stops the bull for a second shot and your trying to reload your crossbow....ha.....good luck with that.....for every scenerio there is another where the compound would be the better choice, it absolutely is the more versatile weapon over the crossbow.....ask yourself, how many hardcore elk guys are going to head to the field with a crossbow anyhow? none you know....whats the worry?, we hardcore guys like our compounds, there will be plenty of other places and types of hunting for where the crossbow will shine but when it gets to nitty gritty bowhunting your likely only going to run into guys with compounds....why? because its the better tool for more situations overall

there is nothing to be scared of here, just another bow, stepping out from behind a tree with vertical bow just enough to shoot is an advantage....better stand back with the horizontal bow, its never ending...one can do this better, one can do that better, blah blah, harvest stats same so all are silly arguments.....i'd rather be able to reload quickly and shoot again as many times you do get a second chance, if even to throw a finisher into something, the compound is way more versatile, quieter, lighter, holds energy down range better.....there is a long list of pros for the compound over the crossbow, once you learn about the tool it becomes very not scary, more pain in arse tool if you ask me, i think you'd have more to consider at 'go time' then with compound....but could be because i'm really used to my compound, i'd be worried a bunch about what those limbs might come in contact with etc., it would be a new learning curve figuring out the true field limitations/tricks with one of those.....compounds are slick, they are in line with you, most vegitation/trees etc. is inline with you also....makes it something you don't have to think about much, the list goes on
Blah,Blah, The bottom line is they are not at all equal. They have no place in Archery season Period.Everyone has there own ideas,stats ect but the bottom line is you do not have to draw your bow back,you do not have to let down and re draw your bow. End of discussion i would think. They are in a differnt leauge. All that want to use cross bows hunt in rifle season or a primitive weponds season where they should be. Whats next shooting Arrows out of a rifle in Archery season?
Old 12-17-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguyd View Post
I know at least 10 guys here in the south that shoot a160 -200 inch mule deer buck every year . In a 5 year period thats a lot of trophy deer that arnt included in the draw stats and thats just from a hand full of guys. I guarantee there are alot more than 10 guys buying a general tag and hunting mulies in the draw zones. And ya i think crossbows should be included with archery.
Well I'm sure you can agree that's not the norm, and if that's true perhaps there's alot we can learn from those 10 guys. The fact is there are many that have bought tags for years and never shot a buck of any species, with the bow, there's senerio's for everything.

The feeling around here is that, why can bowhunters and why can't we. There will be a time when the debate will switch to muzzleloaders having there own season. The riff between hunters will get bigger there again.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:05 PM

Default lots

of opinions for and against. Myself it boils down to is it archery equipment.
It has a string on a stick and shoots what looks like an arrow with a broadhead on it. SOmeone pointed out that the provinces definition say archery equipment must be drawn and held by muscular power. Well a lot of compounds are 85% let off. When Compounds first came out the traditional archer screamed bloody murder that it was an unfair advantage and shouldn't be allowed in archery season. Seems to me that that is what the compound crowd is arguing about xbows now. Seems to me the definition for archery equipment was changed when compounds became popular. DId it not use to say that it must pull a 28" arrow to full draw and be held and measured at 45lbs? If that was the case most people would never be able to draw a compund bow back with the let off because you are actually holding a lot less. Or is my memory at fault here. At anyrate One thing everyone thinks will happen is the amount of hunters will explode in the archery season. It may increase a bit but not substantaly IMHO. I don't know about some of you but I only have 1 week a year dedicated to hunting. I have set partners to hunt with and I for one don't feel like loosing hunting with good friends and family because I could hunt with a crossbow in archery season. Sure I might go on weekends, but really don't see that happening as my partners probably will not buy a crossbow. We have archery equipment now and we don't utilize them for hunting, just target practise a few times a year in case we want to use them in the fall.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:05 PM

The more I think about this the clearer it gets. The only conclusion I can come up with is it is a marketing scheme. Plain and simple.
The whole x-bow thing..... if you really want to hunt in bow season than buy a bow !! Gee whiz..
I compare it to a ''fly fishing only water'' Should I lobby to be able to use a wobbler and a worm !! Come on guys, bleeding heart syndrome comes to mind.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Your assuming now that a crossbow hunter is gonna walk in the woods much like a rifle hunter would, with the Swat senerio. I will assume you have never bowhunted when saying this. The majority Bowhunters hunt out of a tree stand, or blind. they will have to cut and limb out lane ways. Trajectory of crossbow is relatively the same, making me certain that the hunting style is similar. With only a movement of a single finger Dave, a crossbow hunter rested on his treestand rest, that rifle hunters use, will be able to shoot a deer. He will have the benefit of less than 1% movement, and the ability to hold that position for hours, down his lane way. If crossbow legislation ruled that crossbows had to be manually loaded and held by muscular power, I'm sure there would be little or no arguements.
Potty, I was using the scenerio that someone posted as an example of where a crossbow would be an advantage over a compound bow when a bruiser buck walked out in front of you. My point was that crossbow hunters DON'T hunt like SWAT members raiding a house. Do you want to try walking around all day with a crossbow raised and aimed...lol?

I hunt with a crossbow because I don't have the option anymore of drawing a compound bow due to a wonky shoulder. I don't hunt any differently than when I hunted with a compound bow, from a treestand for deer and on the ground for moose.

I walk to my treestand with my crossbow unloaded over my shoulder and pull it up a string unloaded. Once in my stand I load a bolt and rest my crossbow on my lap. I could hang it on a foot peg like a compound bow if I wanted to but I don't like the idea of having to make extra movements. I do have to move more than just my finger to take a shot at a deer though.

As far as trajectory goes, my opinion is that a compound bow's is flatter than a crossbow's AND arrows have better penetration than bolts. Also, bolts lose energy allot faster than arrows. I suppose that it is relative to the draw weights of each but that has been my experience. Perhaps scientific facts may prove me wrong but that is the impression that I have. I'll have to check it out.

Other crossbow hunters may do things differently or have different ideas but that's what I do and think.