Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-20-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Type13X2 View Post
and why not? They are essentially police officers for wild life, why not give them the ability to just scan / read a WIN card. It'll be somewhat expensive upfront but it is a worthwhile investment in infrastructure.
I think a problem with scanning is you would have to have cell coverage for one thing.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:37 PM

So what happens when they check a guy in the middle of butt-**** no where, and the thing won't read your card, or can't pick up a signal??? Does that mean your guilty because you can't produce your license? Is the officer just to assume you have one and let you go on your way. If you can't keep a paper copy of your license on you without messing it up, maybe you shouldn't be out there in the outdoors, might be a bit beyond your capabilities. Spend the money where its needed, to hire more guys to be out in the field...

Last edited by Hunter Trav; 03-20-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Trav View Post
So what happens when they check a guy in the middle of butt-****** no where, and the thing won't read your card, or can't pick up a signal??? Does that mean your guilty because you can't produce your license? Is the officer just to assume you have one and let you go on your way. If you can't keep a paper copy of your license on you without messing it up, maybe you shouldn't be out there in the outdoors, might be a bit beyond your capabilities. Spend the money where its needed, to hire more guys to be out in the field...
X2
Old 03-20-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogs View Post
Ok new to Alberta from BC but resident now. How do I get a fishing license.
BC guys have to take a drug test
Old 03-20-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoff View Post
BC guys have to take a drug test
If that where the case nobody from bc would be allowed to fish
Old 03-20-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
So what happens when they check a guy in the middle of butt-**** no where, and the thing won't read your card, or can't pick up a signal??? Does that mean your guilty because you can't produce your license? Is the officer just to assume you have one and let you go on your way. If you can't keep a paper copy of your license on you without messing it up, maybe you shouldn't be out there in the outdoors, might be a bit beyond your capabilities. Spend the money where its needed, to hire more guys to be out in the field...
lol

But I have to agree
Old 03-20-2013, 11:58 PM

You get a PDF of your licence when purchased online. I keep a viewable PDF copy in my iphone. There are apps that give you the ability to put digital signatures on PDF files. You can also download hunting and fishing regs in PDF for quick access in the field.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Wow.... just wow... the amount of asshattery in one post... Ever put a business card in your wallet and had it sit there for a few months, go to produce it to give a friend the information off it for when they are getting similar work done and discovered that somehow in the blackhole that is your wallet it has gotten beaten up pretty badly and is now barely legible? No never happened to you? Well clearly you never leave your house because that happens to literally every damn person I know of.

And the problems you list are so damn easy, ever bought something with a credit card and they didn't have immediate access to a signal for whatever reason? If only in situations like that they had some sort of technology available to take an imprint of your card. Holy crap I could make a fortune off of inventing that technology, oh wait it already exists and was in use for decades in rural area's before cellphone coverage became rampant.

I swear some peoples children, so quick to flame and yet so utterly stupid.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:59 AM

Taking an inprint of your card will not show you have have a license. Now they could go to satelite scanners, but the costs would be astronomical

As for Ques post, not sure in Alberta, but in BC, having a license on your phone is no good. Was at a derby in the fall and a guy was charged for not having a license when he produced his phone with his license on it. Another problem with the phone idea, what if your phone loses power?

Last edited by Bigdad013; 03-21-2013 at 05:16 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Wow.... just wow... the amount of asshattery in one post...
Quote:
There...I think that about sums it up...pot...kettle etc...

What does an old credit card imprint machine have to do with scanning a modern card to see if the cardholder is in posession of their license or not? Nevermind the fact that WIN cards don't have raised numbers.

I keep my license in the little plastic card holder that they give me when I get it, and that gets kept in a pocket in my tackle bag...and despite your wallet eating business cards it is in fact possible to keep your license intact for an entire season with minimal effort...If you're having a tough time maybe try something else...or get it online and print off some extra copies.

Yes Trav was a little sarcastic, but I can see where he was doing it to try to make a point...at least he didn't have to resort to childish name calling.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 03-21-2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Wow.... just wow... the amount of asshattery in one post... Ever put a business card in your wallet and had it sit there for a few months, go to produce it to give a friend the information off it for when they are getting similar work done and discovered that somehow in the blackhole that is your wallet it has gotten beaten up pretty badly and is now barely legible? No never happened to you? Well clearly you never leave your house because that happens to literally every damn person I know of.

And the problems you list are so damn easy, ever bought something with a credit card and they didn't have immediate access to a signal for whatever reason? If only in situations like that they had some sort of technology available to take an imprint of your card. Holy crap I could make a fortune off of inventing that technology, oh wait it already exists and was in use for decades in rural area's before cellphone coverage became rampant.

My licence (printed off from whatever sporting goods store I bought it from) doesn't leave my wallet unless I'm asked to produce it. It's been in there since last April- folded in half twice and still in perfect condition. I'd venture a guess that I could keep in there for another 2 years and it would still be usable. I don't understand what is so hard about keeping an intact licence in your wallet, tackle box, etc...... I've never had problems with it falling apart. Are you taking it out and "playing" with it everyday? Using it to blow your nose? What? I don't get it....

Why spend millions upon millions of dollars on WIN card "scanners" when it costs nothing for you to just take care of your licence.....Seems like a complete waste of money. That money would be better off spent on more enforcement and not useless "scanners" just so you don't have to take care of your licence....

Quote:
....yet so utterly stupid.
Indeed.......

Last edited by MoFugger21; 03-21-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:45 AM

Amazing how the smallest conversation can get what I assume are grown men all fired up!

LC
Old 03-21-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Amazing how the smallest conversation can get what I assume are grown men all fired up!

LC
That's a pretty big assumption methinks

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 03-21-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
A License to buy a License ! Only in Canada. LOL. They will tax anything. Oh sorry, it's not a tax.
Next thing it will be, License to buy bait. Then, License to buy a License to buy bait. I wonder if if the Alberta gov. will give me a bonus for thinking of this for them. NOT !
The WIN is your individual access to a system...it tracks what you are entitled to purchase and what you have purchased. Think of it like a user name and password.

Of course there is a small nominal fee to administer this process....

LC
Old 03-21-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Yes actually I have, thats why I don't keep thing like that in my wallet, and thats why someone came up with the idea of "cardholders". Clearly you never leave the house cause you have not moved passed the stage of figuring out why things keep getting messed up in your wallet, and what steps you could take to prevent that...
Old 03-21-2013, 11:20 AM

I managed to keep paper copies of 4 provincial and a national park lic in my wallet without wrecking them, and my wallet is kinda scary inside. Id rather have a paper win card myself, takes up less room in the wallet... Lol
Old 03-21-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFugger21 View Post
My licence (printed off from whatever sporting goods store I bought it from) doesn't leave my wallet unless I'm asked to produce it. It's been in there since last April- folded in half twice and still in perfect condition. I'd venture a guess that I could keep in there for another 2 years and it would still be usable. I don't understand what is so hard about keeping an intact licence in your wallet, tackle box, etc...... I've never had problems with it falling apart. Are you taking it out and "playing" with it everyday? Using it to blow your nose? What? I don't get it....

Why spend millions upon millions of dollars on WIN card "scanners" when it costs nothing for you to just take care of your licence.....Seems like a complete waste of money. That money would be better off spent on more enforcement and not useless "scanners" just so you don't have to take care of your licence....

:

Exactly!
Old 03-21-2013, 12:36 PM
Banned

Uhm!

Licenses are available now as are the paperback regulations.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gust View Post
Uhm!

Thanks Gust

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 03-21-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Uhm!

Gust makes a great point...lol Regs are available now and page 92 is sweet!!
Old 03-21-2013, 02:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPikeHunter View Post
Gust makes a great point...lol Regs are available now and page 92 is sweet!!
Yes your picture is nice but that Rainbow trout is a pig eh?

Congrats.

Not putting down your fish, but, that pike is the longest skinniest one I've seen in awhile. If it were any longer I would have mistook it for a hockey stick.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Yes your picture is nice but that Rainbow trout is a pig eh?

Congrats.

Not putting down your fish, but, that pike is the longest skinniest one I've seen in awhile. If it were any longer I would have mistook it for a hockey stick.
Agreed, that trout is a hog....
Just glad they award the prize based on length...lol
If I would have caught that pike in the winter, boy would that have been a fish to bring up through a hole in the ice...