Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-01-2014, 10:25 PM

IMO... the demise of hunting is imminent if we continue to allow people to write an online test to get their hunting rights.

It has come to a stage (because of populations) where new hunters should be required to take a week long course just like the trappers do. It is not just about the regulations. It is about so many other factors even including dressing and processing an animal, let alone shooting the animal. It can be obvious in some of the threads and posts on the forum that there needs to be better education of todays hunters.

It seems like alot of the hunting offenders are just uneducated in regards to respectful hunting, animal handling and land use. A week long course would solve alot of the problems in our hunting community.

The course should include things like:

Orienteering including map interpretation.
Private land use and the landowners.
Land use laws and legislations.
Code of Ethics and responsibilites as a hunter and land user.
Field dressing and care of meat.
Firearm and bow choices and why.

Competency should be of utmost importance.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 11-01-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-01-2014, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
IMO... the demise of hunting is imminent if we continue to allow people to write an online test to get their hunting rights.

It has come to a stage (because of populations) where new hunters should be required to take a week long course just like the trappers do. It is not just about the regulations. It is about so many other factors even including dressing and processing an animal, let alone shooting the animal. It can be obvious in some of the threads and posts on the forum that there needs to be better education of todays hunters.

It seems like alot of the hunting offenders are just uneducated in regards to respectful hunting, animal handling and land use. A week long course would solve alot of the problems in our hunting community.

Agree 100%
Old 11-01-2014, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver hunter View Post
I second that, there is nothing to say on this thread except that a large majority of the human race are extremely unintelligent.
Not only that, there also not very smart.

Bobby
Old 11-02-2014, 07:36 AM

Southern Alberta has less time to hunt as it is....

Make it November 1st to November 31st....period.
Wednesday to Saturday.
If it happens we get an extra day or two to hunt so be it....
I'm not really sure of the logic of not doing that but then I don't work for the government.
As it is follow the f....g rules!!
Old 11-02-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshaw View Post
x2 happens all the time down here in the south when the 1st of november lands on a thursday, friday or sat before the first wednesday. guys out with the rifles while its still bow season. We avoid the south zone for birds the first week of the season.

x3. People can't be bothered to read the regs.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachnodisiac View Post
I'm hunting this year in one of those Wed-Sat zones. I was planning to go out the first week, but after reading this thread, I'm really happy I decided to go the second week!
What's the reason for that anyway?
I am under the impression, that the prairie zones went to Wed-Sat (it used to be Thur-Sat), simply to help reduce the pressure on the deer herds.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatter View Post

Wednesday to Saturday.
I'm not really sure of the logic of not doing that but then I don't work for the government.
November 31st?

If you don't like the season there, why live there, lotsa season length in and around GP and PR, lotsa jobs too.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-02-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:

But you would be expempt of course.
I'm curious how you learnt all those things before you ever pointed a bullet or arrow at an animal?
Old 11-02-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:

I agree that these are things that all hunters should know.

But I believe it's nothing that an exhaustive test couldn't catch. Get rid of all this Mickey Mouse online multiple choice stuff.

Also there is a large glut of hunters that need it today that would never be required to learn this stuff and that's going to take some time.

Instead of a week long course extorting more money and time for what I believe is supposed to be a humble past time. They should go to an apprentice/mentor system. It's the way it's always been and supposed to be.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
November 31st?

If you don't like the season there, why live there, lotsa season length in and around GP and PR, lotsa jobs too.
LOL
I love the heat....don't like the snow....
Like to ride the bikes a lot the year
Old 11-02-2014, 09:01 AM

Tip: get a copy of the regs and read them and the changes BEFORE you buy your tags. For the last 5 years (maybe longer, I've only been here 5 years), my zone was good for supplemental WT, so naturally I get my general and my two supplemental tags, only to find out after the fact that they are no longer valid in my zone, money wasted unless I plan on a much longer trip for a supp doe, which isn't going to happen. Wonder how many guys will put supp doe tags on in my zone this year without knowing it has changed?
Old 11-02-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junglefisher View Post
But you would be expempt of course.
I'm curious how you learnt all those things before you ever pointed a bullet or arrow at an animal?
I would not be and wasn't exempt. I was fortunate enough to have a mentor in my elders. I also took the hunter education course to the level of instructor 35 years ago.
I agree we all have to start somewhere and there is much to learn. Reading the regs cover to cover is a good start. Asking questions on the forum and to F&W.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-02-2014, 09:51 AM

[QUOTE=Forest Techer;2600570]I agree that these are things that all hunters should know.

But I believe it's nothing that an exhaustive test couldn't catch. Get rid of all this Mickey Mouse online multiple choice stuff.

Also there is a large glut of hunters that need it today that would never be required to learn this stuff and that's going to take some time.

Instead of a week long course extorting more money and time for what I believe is supposed to be a humble past time. They should go to an apprentice/mentor system. It's the way it's always been and supposed to be.[/QUOTE]

Very good point. Very true. It would be great to have a apprenticeship/mentorship program that everyone must start at.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muliehuntr View Post
I wish they would just align everything so it all open up the same time and closes the same time

Nov 1-30 no matter what day those dates fall on
same with deer in the 100 if you only can hunt wed, thurs, Friday, sat and nov 1 fall on a Saturday then u can hunt it why wait till the first Wednesday of the month like this year which is the 5

makes no sense me, why they make it so difficult

good luck this year guys, safe and strait shooting
Quote:
Originally Posted by madatter View Post

Wednesday to Saturday.

Wonderful idea. Lets reduce our hunting opportunities for the sake of simplifying the regs to the lowest denominator. If the problem continues, we can solve it by reducing the hunting season even more....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 11-02-2014, 03:55 PM

If remembering Alberta hunting regulations is hard, try fishing within 50 kms of home from Canmore. Alberta regs, BC regs and National Park regs - all different!
Old 11-02-2014, 05:45 PM

1. get regs 2.read regs 3.know where and what you are hunting/season. that's how I do it.