Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-17-2014, 08:17 PM

Default outsmarted by a mouse

My first 'trapping' post.

There's a very smart mouse afoot in my house. It's eaten the PB bait on
my Victor traps without setting them off, a first in my limited experience with rodents.

Feeling that the Victor's trigger is not very sensitive I purchased a couple similarly designed Catchmasters from Cdn Tire. They have a hair trigger if set right. And an adhesive pad.

Two nights in a row, this clever mouse has taken the bait from the Catchmasters without setting them off.

Any suggestions?
Old 10-17-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post

my Victor traps without setting them off, a first in my limited experience with rodents.

Feeling that the Victor's trigger is not very sensitive I purchased a couple similarly designed Catchmasters from Cdn Tire. They have a hair trigger if set right. And an adhesive pad.

Two nights in a row, this clever mouse has taken the bait from the Catchmasters without setting them off.

Any suggestions?
Shoot him. Put some bait on a heavy blanket and nail him with a pellet gun when he comes to eat. Done it a few times.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:

my Victor traps without setting them off, a fin my limited experience with rodents.

Any suggestions?
Could be a we tiny mouse had one of those little buggers before took a bit and some trap mods but finally got him ... just keep pourin the pb to him he will mess up sooner or later
Old 10-17-2014, 08:53 PM

I put the PB on the underside of the pan, that way the mouse has to wedge its head between the pan and the trap to get the last bit and ends up pushing up on the pan instead of relying on him to push down on it with his paws or mouth, it always has caught the stubborn ones for me. Also try making a bucket trap, youtube it! They work well also
Old 10-17-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeyleg02 View Post
Could be a we tiny mouse had one of those little buggers before took a bit and some trap mods but finally got him ... just keep pourin the pb to him he will mess up sooner or later
Before posting I put a huge glob on the trigger plate, hoping to trick it into a feeding frenzy or a post-meal burp. Right now that mouse knows where and when to find a free meal...he's trained me well.

If that doesn't work, tomorrow I'll encircle the baited one with several non-baited traps.

Hopefully I don't end up having to wear gloves and do my trap setting while kneeling on a scent-free tarp, and placing a log next to it to encourage the mouse to step over it and down onto the plate.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:03 PM

Default LoL

Quote:
Before posting I put a huge glob on the trigger plate, hoping to trick it into a feeding frenzy or a post-meal burp. Right now that mouse knows where and when to find a free meal...he's trained me well.

If that doesn't work, tomorrow I'll encircle the baited one with several non-baited traps.

Hopefully I don't end up having to wear gloves and do my trap setting while kneeling on a scent-free tarp, and placing a log next to it to encourage the mouse to step over it and down onto the plate.
Those sneaky critters can fool the most seasoned trappers.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:07 PM

bucket with some water in it, and a board with a couple of nails in it at the fulcrum so it balances on the lip of the bucket with the one end down.
Put PB on the end over the water.
make a little ramp up to the board.
This rig resets itself and is also fail safe and guaranteed to work multiple times in an evening!
Cat
Old 10-18-2014, 12:17 AM

Simple fix that has worked many times over for me, bait the trap and heat the bait up so it melts to the trap and gets a little crusted, they need to pull twice as hard to grab a bite and it gets em every time.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:15 AM

Quote:

Lmao good luck twofifty
Old 10-18-2014, 07:53 AM

i use the sticky pads around the trap.

My Best buddy:
Old 10-18-2014, 07:54 AM

Bait 2 traps , put the butt to butt ,{triggers facing each other } Place a drinking glass on each side of triggers so the little fart has to wedge his way in . Usually catch him in the trap he isn't eating on when he bumps it . Good luck .
Old 10-18-2014, 08:36 AM

i catch 20 mice a week at work, the only thing i do different is i use a small piece of bread and then cover it with peanut butter, i don't use sticky pads, tryed them once , went in to work to check the traps and you could hear the little fellow squealing, so i stick with the snap traps. it also dosen't hurt to put a little peanut butter on the base of trap, good luck with getting the little bugger, hopefully before he breeds and you have a whole bunch of little buggers running around
Old 10-18-2014, 08:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeyleg02 View Post
With all the free meals he's been getting I'm sure he'll be big and fat enough to trigger a trap soon.
Perhaps he's one of those rare mice that enjoys tormenting you and is playing with your mind.
Can't wait to hear the end of this saga.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:00 AM

Instead of the plastic clamshell type trap try using an old fashioned snap trap with a raisin impaled on the trigger. That way it can't lick the bait off; it has to tug at it. I have to smile that it takes a committee of twelve outdoorsmen to catch a mouse.

Strix
Old 10-18-2014, 11:58 AM

Take a bottle with a wide opening in the top, prop a stick up on it so a mouse can walk up the stick to the opening in the top of the bottle. Put a little peice of chesse in the bottle. Rub a little cheese on the stick too. You should have your mouse in a day or two.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 10-18-2014, 12:01 PM

I always jam a piece of cracker in there then smear with peanut butter, the cracker makes them have to work for it rather than lick it off and that sets off the trap.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:15 PM

A bucket trap is the best. That's what I use in my garage but instead of water I use used motor oil. That way it doesn't freeze.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighorn1 View Post
Simple fix that has worked many times over for me, bait the trap and heat the bait up so it melts to the trap and gets a little crusted, they need to pull twice as hard to grab a bite and it gets em every time.

For sure, this technique works well with a Tootsie Roll as bait.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:40 PM

I find the old wooden victors traps work best. But there's two kinds. The one with the small steel bait trigger will leave you with nothing. The ones with the big yellow plastic square gets em every time cuz they step on it to get to the peanut butter
Old 10-21-2014, 02:16 PM

Buy the victor trap with the big yellow frt plate. The mouse hits the plate with its chest before anything else. I used to have the PB eaten, then I switched to this style and catch everyone since.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:18 PM

Default Mice? Aint got no time for that!

make a bucket trap
Old 10-23-2014, 11:17 PM

Default action report

Sticky yellow pad trap set on hair trigger didn't work. The little bugger ate the big glob of PB over 3 nights, each time pushing the pad up so as to fully engage the sear.

PB baited bucket trap up the last 2 nights, no action yet. Tonight, the on-ramp is surrounded by four spring traps.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:24 AM

Take a pic and post it
Old 10-24-2014, 07:47 AM

Default Mouse

I never had much sucess with peanut butter although they do love it. Try a raisin they can't be licked out.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Sticky yellow pad trap set on hair trigger didn't work. The little bugger ate the big glob of PB over 3 nights, each time pushing the pad up so as to fully engage the sear.

PB baited bucket trap up the last 2 nights, no action yet. Tonight, the on-ramp is surrounded by four spring traps.

Thanks for the suggestions.
That tiny little sound you hear in the background is your nemisis mouse laughing his butt off.

Or....... perhaps a buddy or your wife is pranking you.

The saga continues.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchardy1972 View Post
A bucket trap is the best. That's what I use in my garage but instead of water I use used motor oil. That way it doesn't freeze.
Me too. Been using them all my life. PB on the bottle/can. Smear to balance it better, all the way around.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:11 AM

So you ever get your mouse, twofifty??
Old 10-30-2014, 08:14 AM

Just keep feeding him till he's nice and fat. When tie some sow belly across the yellow pad of the mouse trap. Once you catch him chop off his tail and feet and deep fry him in canola oil and crackers and enjoy. Got a mouse story here. In 2006 I hired onto an outfit and we pulled small camper behind a truck to sleep in and to serve as a cook shack when we were out branding and A.I ing cows. The deal was that once a week someone would clean the grounds out of the old tin coffee pot. About the second week in may we re sitting around the fire and Danny takes the Ol pot turns it upside down and bangs it on a log to clean out the grounds and low and behold three scalded mice fall out. Not a word was said and coffee was not on the menu for a few weeks. Needless to say I worked with some onry sons a bitchs till they started drinking coffee again
Old 10-30-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
bucket with some water in it, and a board with a couple of nails in it at the fulcrum so it balances on the lip of the bucket with the one end down.
Put PB on the end over the water.
make a little ramp up to the board.
This rig resets itself and is also fail safe and guaranteed to work multiple times in an evening!
Cat
x2

or a plastic pop bottle with a rod thru it cap to end across the pail. Smear the center of the bottle with a stripe of peanut butter . In the bucket they go and drown. If it gets cold use antifreeze or winter washer fluid.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:07 AM

try tying a little piece of string onto the lever where you put the PB. MOUSE get greedy and pulls on the string and BAMM you get the little bugger. Worked for me