Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-31-2014, 09:03 AM

Default Please check your hunting regs.......

Morning everyone, just thought I would pass along that this week Wednesday/Thursday while working in the 100 zones I ran into a few different people that after chatting with them admitted they were rifle hunting for deer. I have hunting regs in my truck and all parties I spoke with wouldn't look at them and a couple took off right away when I informed them of the proper season.... The response I got back from one person in particular was that because Nov. 1 falls on Saturday that it meant from this past Wednesday was the start of Rifle season! Really guys and gals? I have contacted F&W on each situation I encountered and quite frankly I just have a hard time understanding how people cant know the rules before going out. I'm at a loss and very frustrated!
Old 10-31-2014, 09:17 AM
Gone Hunting

Good. Last year I encountered a whitetail hunter. We got chatting i had a Mule draw also and he said "oh im hunting mule too" i said "nice what zone did you get drawn for. Being that we were well into rifle season. He says"i still have my bow tag" i advised him to look at his regs he became upset and told me to check mine. Like how dumb are people.
I think im just gonna start handing out HARD SLAPS for stupidity!!!
Old 10-31-2014, 09:25 AM

Some people know everything and don't need to be told anything different !
Reminds me of a friend of mine , F&W officer now retired.
Came upon two hunters his first year posted up here , they were having a trail lunch after the big game season was closed . He mentioned that it was a good morning with a rabbit or two and a partridge .
They said they were after big game.
He told them the season had closed .
They argued with him that it wasn't.!

Confused on what to do, he radioed his boss and was told if they would give statements to argue their point in court, charge them.
He did, they did, and ended up in court!!
True story, my friend is a member here!
Cat
Old 10-31-2014, 09:31 AM
Banned

i was at signing up for a discharge permit and you would be surprised how many wanted theirs for elk and moose and didn't have a tag to show for it. or maybe you wouldn't be lol
Old 10-31-2014, 09:39 AM

Wow..... Nov. 1st is Nov. 1st...... thats what i was taught in school anyway.

It's also difficult dealing with friends who sware to high heaven you need a tag for wolf, or that you're not allowed to hunt them and proceed to get angry with you.

If you dont know... then ask, or shut up.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:40 AM

Some people can't be bothered to read the regulations, but they are ready to argue when you inform them that what they are incorrect in their assumption as to what the regulations are. We had an idiot try and tell us that we couldn't hunt on a parcel of private land, because the landowner , who was hunting with us, had it posted "no hunting" . Another genius tried to convince us that we couldn't carry a firearm on an atv on the same parcel of private land, before noon.
Then there are the people that are simply clueless, as in two individuals that had two caribou hanging at their campsite, with moose tags on the carcasses. This was dealt with when my hunting partner made a call to a friend who happens to be a F&W officer, who came out, seized the carcasses and charged the two individuals.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:45 AM

That's why I carry a copy of the regs in my truck, my pack, my phone ect
Old 10-31-2014, 10:00 AM

Guys how are hunters suppose to know regs when F&W hardly know them themselves. I was in a argument with a F&W officer he informed me that antlerless deer tags where no good for bow zone after I had already used one. After a little while of arguing and him threatening to give fines he got his regs came over showed me he was wrong lol then shut up got back in his truck and drove off. Just saying it isn't just the hunters out there. We as a community have to not pick each other apart, people make mistakes. But knowingly making those mistakes is different just saying.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkonthemind View Post
Guys how are hunters suppose to know regs when F&W hardly know them themselves. I was in a argument with a F&W officer he informed me that antlerless deer tags where no good for bow zone after I had already used one. After a little while of arguing and him threatening to give fines he got his regs came over showed me he was wrong lol then shut up got back in his truck and drove off. Just saying it isn't just the hunters out there. We as a community have to not pick each other apart, people make mistakes. But knowingly making those mistakes is different just saying.
The easiest way to avoid problems, it to make a serious effort to learn the regulations. The fact that you knew the regulations kept you from receiving a ticket, and having to go to court.

As far as being a community, one of the worst things for hunters as a community, is having some people that have no clue, breaking the laws, and making all hunters look bad in the eyes of the public. Most of those people that make those "mistakes" could have easily avoided their problems, if they had at least taken the time to read the regulation booklet. Some regulations take a little more effort to interpret, but many are worded very plainly, so anyone that takes the time to read them, can easily understand them.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:11 AM

People have been out with rifles and there sustenance friends for the past two weeks in my zone.... Not even worth waking up opening day.
Old 10-31-2014, 02:28 PM

Default Some prairie zones

A lot of zones in the south are only open to rifle hunting Wednesdays to Saturdays, staring November 5. I'd bet there will be lots of hunters out the first Saturday of November, (November 1st) thinking there hunting legally. Check the regs and your tags. Last year I was bow hunting Saturday November 2nd and while stalking a nice buck, a guy shot at it from the road with a rifle. He missed and the buck took off. He walked into the field to look for blood and I told him that rifle season hadn't opened yet. He said rifle season opens November 1st. I tried politely to tell him he was wrong and he pulled out his tag and said "here, see" that's when he noticed the dates on the tag. He didn't apologize or anything, just turned and walked away. I reported it to F&W, not sure if any thing came from it.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:31 PM

Just picked up my tags today at Whole Sale Sport and they were out of Regs!

The lady says to me please check online...are you kidding me. You shouldn't be able to sell tags with out giving out a copy of the regs!

Sure had no issue with taking my 100 bucks though.

DSG.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4bowhunter View Post
A lot of zones in the south are only open to rifle hunting Wednesdays to Saturdays, staring November 5. I'd bet there will be lots of hunters out the first Saturday of November, (November 1st) thinking there hunting legally. Check the regs and your tags. Last year I was bow hunting Saturday November 2nd and while stalking a nice buck, a guy shot at it from the road with a rifle. He missed and the buck took off. He walked into the field to look for blood and I told him that rifle season hadn't opened yet. He said rifle season opens November 1st. I tried politely to tell him he was wrong and he pulled out his tag and said "here, see" that's when he noticed the dates on the tag. He didn't apologize or anything, just turned and walked away. I reported it to F&W, not sure if any thing came from it.
Its gets even more confusing for some people, when they have a moose and/or elk draw for the 100 zones, as some of those open November 1 and you can hunt 6 days a week, not 4 days like the deer.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSG85 View Post

The lady says to me please check online...are you kidding me. You shouldn't be able to sell tags with out giving out a copy of the regs!

DSG.
Pick them up sooner next year before they run out?

LC
Old 10-31-2014, 04:06 PM

I wish they would just align everything so it all open up the same time and closes the same time

Nov 1-30 no matter what day those dates fall on
same with deer in the 100 if you only can hunt wed, thurs, Friday, sat and nov 1 fall on a Saturday then u can hunt it why wait till the first Wednesday of the month like this year which is the 5

makes no sense me, why they make it so difficult

good luck this year guys, safe and strait shooting
Old 10-31-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:

DSG.
Are you kidding ME? You got on this site you can sure as heck find hunting regs.

Not a good post on your part bud! Nope!
Old 10-31-2014, 04:31 PM

It must be difficult now for stores to anticipate how many copies of the regs they will need - with so many people buying their tags on-line and then just popping by a store to grab a set (or 2 or 3)of regs.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Quest View Post
Morning everyone, just thought I would pass along that this week Wednesday/Thursday while working in the 100 zones I ran into a few different people that after chatting with them admitted they were rifle hunting for deer. I have hunting regs in my truck and all parties I spoke with wouldn't look at them and a couple took off right away when I informed them of the proper season.... The response I got back from one person in particular was that because Nov. 1 falls on Saturday that it meant from this past Wednesday was the start of Rifle season! Really guys and gals? I have contacted F&W on each situation I encountered and quite frankly I just have a hard time understanding how people cant know the rules before going out. I'm at a loss and very frustrated!
People are idiots.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:58 PM

I second that, there is nothing to say on this thread except that a large majority of the human race are extremely unintelligent.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:

DSG.
Been in that situation before, the last couple of years I just order them online, they arrive free in the mail box in about 2 or 3 days. It's nice to have them early before hunting season just to scan the changes etc. You can also order the fishing regs and trapping etc.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:11 PM

ok fellas please don't shred me to bad but I have a question...
I have a WT tag that I bought for bow season.. looks like I am not going to be able to fill it, can I use that tag for gun season or do I have to buy another one?
Old 11-01-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chironomidkraut View Post
I have a WT tag that I bought for bow season.. looks like I am not going to be able to fill it, can I use that tag for gun season or do I have to buy another one?
General tag? Yup, you can use it in the regular season, same as the supplementals in their applicable areas.
Cat
Old 11-01-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
General tag? Yup, you can use it in the regular season, same as the supplementals in their applicable areas.
Cat
yes its a general WT tag, then I got drawn for a WT doe (rifle season)for a certain wmu as well
Old 11-01-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chironomidkraut View Post
WT tag?

You have to be more specific than that.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-01-2014, 04:28 PM

Are all these cases of true ignorance, or is it a case of playing dumb, and slinging a good line, to gain advantage?

A pile of guys get pinched each year rifle hunting in 337, in mid September thru October, claiming they thought they were in 339! The dividing line is a paved highway and a very deep river bed(canyon).

Is it a case of incompetence
Or
Ignorance
Or
Hoping to be seen as either to fool people?

There are no absolutes
Old 11-01-2014, 04:35 PM

I have been hunting for 7 years now and still feel like a newbie in the sport. Every year I read the regs from front to back at least once but usually more, as well as have them readily available on my phone for quick reference. I do the same each year when I get my fishing licence. Things change and these changes don't exactly make the evening news so this is the only way I know I am going be legal. Ignorance is not a defence
Old 11-01-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4bowhunter View Post
x2 happens all the time down here in the south when the 1st of november lands on a thursday, friday or sat before the first wednesday. guys out with the rifles while its still bow season. We avoid the south zone for birds the first week of the season.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:44 PM

I'm hunting this year in one of those Wed-Sat zones. I was planning to go out the first week, but after reading this thread, I'm really happy I decided to go the second week!
What's the reason for that anyway?

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 11-01-2014, 09:58 PM

I will say this: The AB regs are a ka-jillion times more complicated and convoluted than the SK regs or the MB regs!

I can see why some people really have a tough time understanding them. I would love to see a real effort made by the powers that be to streamline and simplify the regs. Am I saying that the hunter should be absolved of their responsibility to know what's what? Absolutely not. Are there those that truly don't care regardless of how simple the regs could be? Definitely.

Just saying that a little clarity in the regs would go a long way to preventing infractions by those who are truly confused by them.

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 11-01-2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack&7 View Post
I will say this: The AB regs are a ka-jillion times more complicated and convoluted than the SK regs or the MB regs!

I can see why some people really have a tough time understanding them. I would love to see a real effort made by the powers that be to streamline and simplify the regs. Am I saying that the hunter should be absolved of their responsibility to know what's what? Absolutely not. Are there those that truly don't care regardless of how simple the regs could be? Definitely.

Just saying that a little clarity in the regs would go a long way to preventing infractions by those who are truly confused by them.
Try reading the BC regs....