Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-13-2017, 07:35 AM

Default Hi Viz magnetic fibre optic sight

Good morning all. Just curious how well these stay on traipsing through the bush if anybody has used them.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:43 AM

If you are talking about putting one on a shorgun for wing shooting, the best thing that can happen is that it falls off. If you are using the bead as a sight, you aren't concentrating on the target.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:09 AM

Default viz

That's what I kind of thought, thank you
Old 09-13-2017, 10:20 AM

In a perfect world everyone would be able to afford a shotgun that fits them right and practise enough to instinctively raise and fire that shotgun accurately.

This is not a perfect world and shot gunning for many is bush swatting a few Ruffies and a trip or two out with some friends for a goose shoot. They are primarily rifle hunters and happen to own a shotgun or two.

Will you ever become a master wing shooter looking at the sites or concentrating on aiming down a barrel? No, but you can become very good and bag your limit with whatever shotgun you may have both in the goose blind and in the upland field.

Geese/ducks back peddling over decoys and flushed pheasants/grouse are often near stationary targets that can be aimed at. At close range, very little compensation is needed to get ahead of a bird that starts to veer off course. You may shoot a bit of air when the wind is up or the birds are not cooperating by flying straight but a good time will be had.

Now, for the high visibility sites. IMO they are an awesome choice for the casual, primarily rifle shooting bird hunter. It is instinctive for most to look for sites when ever they raise a shotgun or rifle. The quicker they find reference and move on to concentrating on the target the better. High visibility also allow a novice to keep reference to the barrel without losing focus on the target. This is especially important if a gun doesn't fit exactly or if the person has a tendency to lift their head during target acquisition.

Point and shoot is all good and fine as long as you have practised enough to point a gun exactly where it is aimed and that gun is designed to throw the pattern exactly where you are looking. For many this is not happening, so aim, kill a bunch of birds with the shotgun you have and enjoy the day.

I have a shotgun that fits me poorly and throws a pattern much higher than I like. It belonged to my late father so I still like to take it out from time to time. I can easily shoot a limit of birds with it, but I need to reference the sites and aim where I know the pattern will hit the bird. It is no big deal, but I do end up needing a follow up shot on some birds I think should have folded and sometimes pass on some shots (mostly second shots) that would be automatic with my daily driver.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:44 AM

And yet I have had people significantly improve their wing shooting , just by removing the extra hi viz strips that they had added to the rib. The strips had been drawing their attention, so they were not concentrating on the target . By the time they lined up the bead, the target was either too far, or it passed when they stopped their swing to steady their aim. Most people that I have worked with improved their shooting significantly, when they kept both eyes open, and stopped trying to aim. I can't recall one instance where adding a hi viz strip improved the person's wing shooting.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
And yet I have had people significantly improve their wing shooting , just by removing the extra hi viz strips that they had added to the rib. The strips had been drawing their attention, so they were not concentrating on the target . By the time they lined up the bead, the target was either too far, or it passed when they stopped their swing to steady their aim. Most people that I have worked with improved their shooting significantly, when they kept both eyes open, and stopped trying to aim. I can't recall one instance where adding a hi viz strip improved the person's wing shooting.
High viz sites come standard, in different colors, on every high end auto loader made. Why? Because people like them.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:

I can recall more than a few incidences where a hi viz sites have reduced ones ability to hit moving targets.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post

It is instinctive for most to look for sites when ever they raise a shotgun or rifle. The quicker they find reference and move on to concentrating on the target the better.
In my not so humble opinion I think that is where most error, both shotgun hunters and rifle hunters. Instead of getting the gun to the shoulder and then looking at sights/scope and then locating game, I would suggest keeping both eyes open and focused on game and then inserting gun into proper spot or lead. With a rifle and a shot that is not rested, keep your eye on game and mount scope to line of sight on game.

I have seen more than a few rifle hunters shoulder their gun, look trough the scope, wobble around and lower gun and say, I can't find the deer because the scope power is too high. They go though the same thing all over and still not find the deer that is still standing there.

Keep eye on target and bring scope to eye without breaking sight on game.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
If you are talking about putting one on a shorgun for wing shooting, the best thing that can happen is that it falls off. If you are using the bead as a sight, you aren't concentrating on the target.

This ^^^^

The high vis bead draws your eye to it and once you do that you've missed the target and don't even know it yet!
Old 09-14-2017, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
Good morning all. Just curious how well these stay on traipsing through the bush if anybody has used them.
Don't bother with them. A simple brass bead is all you need. First time hunting with a new beretta a400, the red holographic site broke off getting out of the truck, filled my limit on pheasant, partridge and sharp tailed grouse without it. Bought a simple brass bead to replace it, never used another holographic site, but I never learned using one. Can't imaging a magnet holding a site would last a second in the field