Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-21-2017, 12:58 PM

Default Frontal Shot

Hey just wondering your guys opinion on the frontal shot while bow hunting on the ground? Had a couple mulies within 15 yards yesterday but they only presented the frontal shot for me. I always thought it wasn't a good idea to use the frontal shot with your bow, but after doing some research online. It looks like quite a few guys use it quite effectively on the ground.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:57 PM

It is extremely effective if you make a great shot. However you must know your anatomy very well, know the exact angle the animal is at. Also you must execute a perfect shot, so overall I would say it's about a three out of 10 for my rating system.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:37 PM

I've done it, once. Deer died in 4 seconds but was a mess to clean up, had a mad scramble to rip out the back straps and get to the tenderloins before they got contaminated. Saved it all, luckily the deer went down in sight. Not doing that again.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:39 PM

Frontal shots can be very effective, but I would only use it under very specific circumstances.
In my opinion it should only be used 20 yards or under. Any further and the chances for not hitting the right spot is too great, and the right spot is a small target. With a broadside shot if the hit is off a few inches, there is still a high probability of a lethal hit. A few inches off on a head on and you have a wounded animal. That is why I believe it should only be used at very close range. If you hit the right spot, the animal will be down in quick order.
I have used it on elk twice, both under 20 yards, and the results were very short recoveries. On deer the target is smaller, so be aware and study anatomy to understand the right spot to hit. I haven't personally used it on a deer, but if you can put your broadhead tipped arrow into a 4" diameter circle at 20 yards, it would be an effective angle under the right circumstance.

If the circumstance isn't right, my advice is to not shoot.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:04 PM

shoot as you have practiced on small area target <if your hitting 3 to 5 inch area on target at 20 to 40 your good at 15 ,arrow should pass into lots of vital areas ,
Old 09-21-2017, 04:29 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. I can shoot 3 shot groups where the arrows are all touching at 20 yards so accuracy isn't an issue. If I get the chance I'll take the shot next time.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:33 PM

I would just advise anyone taking this shot to study anatomy and understand exactly where to shoot. The pocket to hit is small and the angle must be right, but it is an ethical shot at short range.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:07 PM

My one and only experience with a frontal shot came last week. I took my bull moose at 40 yards with a frontal shot. He didn't go farther than 20 yards. Complete pass through. Just stating my experience and maybe it was a lucky shot but in my opinion an ethical shot if you have the right setup and accuracy.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:01 PM

The frontal shot has been discussed at length on other internet sites, so I borrowed a picture from The Bowsite as posted by William Allard (BB on that site) to show the angle to look for in taking a frontal shot.

The spot to hit is small, which is why I consider it to be a close range opportunity only. To the left and right are shoulder blades, a little lower is brisket and the start of the ribcage, and higher will result in a hit that goes into the neck but may never enter the chest cavity. The only vital hit from this angle is into this small pocket, but when done properly an arrow will penetrate into the chest cavity and take any animal down very quickly.

Thought this picture might help show exactly where to aim. In my opinion, only take this shot if the angle is right and the range is very close.

Last edited by jungleboy; 01-01-2024 at 09:42 AM.