Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-05-2012, 10:10 AM
Banned

Default How kids can catch walleye or even Jacks

Hey guys I took the family out on sat I caught a 28" jack and nothing else lol my question is what bait or set up for my 6 yr old. Will a worm on a bait hook on the bottom do the trick?? Or a bottom bouncer with a pickerel rig?? Out of ideas. It's becoming long days on the boat with a girl that's not catching any fish.
Also what lakes in nb1 or nb2 can u keep walleye
Thanks
Old 06-05-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteysonly View Post
Hey guys I took the family out on sat I caught a 28" jack and nothing else lol my question is what bait or set up for my 6 yr old. Will a worm on a bait hook on the bottom do the trick?? Or a bottom bouncer with a pickerel rig?? Out of ideas. It's becoming long days on the boat with a girl that's not catching any fish.
Also what lakes in nb1 or nb2 can u keep walleye
Thanks
You can catch pike on darn near anything. Worms or any other bait will work. I helped my 4 year old catch his first pike (and then 6 more) last week just by trolling with a rapala. I've found trolling the best way to fish with my kids as they can just leave there rods in the rod holders if they dont want to hold it and they will sit there eating snacks till they get a bite. With pike, I've found that trolling usually eliminates the need for a good hook set and they will set they selves by thrashing around and causing a big show. Also my kids seem to get less board if the boat is actually moving rather than just sitting still. We also had good success with top water frogs, the kids love watching them swim behind the boat and then usually the pike jump pretty hard at them which is fun to see as well.

I don't fish NB1 or 2 so can't help you there but the regs are online.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:00 PM

I agree trolling is the best for young kids, my 4 yr old son caught his first and 2 more on the good ol' 5 o' diamonds at wizard on the long weekend......it was awesome. Although my 11 yr old daughter prefers to cast off the bow.

for the weekend
son 3
grampa 3
mom 2
dad big ol donut........lol it was great wouldnt have traded it for a 50 fish day.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:01 PM

oooops all pike
Old 06-05-2012, 08:40 PM
Banned

for walleye trolling cranks or bottom bouncers with spinners works best. the fish usualy hook themselves and the forward motion of the boat makes it easy to keep the lines tight. if your jigging ( not a real great method for kids IMO) just go with a baited jig with no plastic tail, the fish seem to hang on longer and kids have an easyer time hooking them. let the boat drift and toss the jig out and get your kid to jig it like that so thy dont have to worry about depth. pretty sure my first fish was a pike caught on a trolled len thompson spoon, still a good way to get a kid into fish but i prefer cranks because they wont twist up the line if your speed isnt just right like spoons will.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:22 PM

I can put you on a spot for walleye in a boat an hour from edmonton but you can't keep them.

I took my neices out last summer (5&8) and they just casted and reeled in. I cast some for them as well and let them reel mine in when I caught one. Was an awesome few hours.

Pm me if you want more info
Old 06-06-2012, 08:01 AM

Goto Pigeon Lake Prov. park and anchor off straight out in front of the washrooms on the swimming beach, about 200 yards out. All you need is 1/8-1/4 ounce jig heads and minnows. You will catch Walleye non-stop.