Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-24-2014, 01:51 PM

Default Little Bow or Travers

Thinking about heading out to either Little Bow aor Travers tomorrow and try for some whitefish.
Any reports? Has anybody been out lately to either place.

Thanks
Old 01-24-2014, 04:43 PM
Suspended User

Travers is top notch right now! Never fished little bow
Old 01-28-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye99 View Post
Travers is top notch right now! Never fished little bow
Thanks Went to Travers on Saturday for whites. Tried by Little Bow Provincial Park. Saw about a half dozen, but they just cruised by and never even slowed down to have a look at my WW. Couple of hammerhead thought they the WW were the cat's ass. Had a heck of a time keeping them off.
Not sure what I was doing wrong with the Whites, but I must be doing something wrong since this is my usual experience with Whites. They cruise by but don't slow down or bite. I'm jigging a bit and then stopping and keeping it still. I was using copper bead head WW.

Any suggestions for the Whitefish experts.... I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks
Old 01-28-2014, 05:00 PM

my opinion is this is post spawn conditions now so they are not as aggressive during spawning. when the burbs start to spawn the whites will put on their buffet feed bags i think. others may correct me if i am incorrect.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:34 PM
Banned

how deep were you presenting your lure? In my experience, when they're hungry, they're suspended, I usually fish in 2-3m deep, and present my lure just slightly below half that depth as a start, and work the column up and down. Gentle jigging, no more than moving it 2 inches up and down. one thing i realized with travers whites is that they're not as picky as the ones at gull. I've slayed more of them with a wireworm presented at a 45 degree incline than ones that are horizontal.

Another thing is that usually the whites I can see, aren't feeding. The ones you catch are the ones you can't see. They dart very quickly across your hole so by the time you see them, they're already on your hook.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:58 PM

Thanks I'll try that.