Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-26-2011, 07:17 PM

Default Hardwater hardware for pike?

So for those of you who like to use hardware for pike in the winter, what do you like using?

So far this winter pretty much all my pike fishing has been done using bait (except for the one I caught on a tiny teardrop while jigging for perch) but I was thinking of changing things up and maybe going with one bait and one lure when things are slower.

I've got plenty of options...jigs, different kinds of soft plastics, Len T's, a couple Mepps Syclops', smaller jigging spoons, rattlin' raps and whatever else looks interesting in the summer tackle box, but what do YOU like to use, and how?

Going to hit Wab tomorrow and hopefully do a little experimenting

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 02-26-2011, 07:48 PM

the pike right now are very slow ith a slow metabolism so ue dead bait about 2-6 inches off bottom. i wouldnt recomend lures just tip ups cause they like it dead still right now. iv had a good pike season soo farr but not near as good as others
Old 02-26-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
the pike right now are very slow ith a slow metabolism so ue dead bait about 2-6 inches off bottom. i wouldnt recomend lures just tip ups cause they like it dead still right now. iv had a good pike season soo farr but not near as good as others
yep. these ones here that stang videoed last week are so lethargic and not willing to hit anything moving - they're practically asleep?

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=83929
Old 02-26-2011, 08:14 PM

Dace maybe FishHunter7 is not interested in catching agressive male hammer handles like Mustang.He might be targeting SHE pike.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:23 PM

I have a jig with a gulp leech standing by, if the pike are just kissing the bait and not interested in eating it I jig that a few times, a few of them have taken that instead of the herring or smelt. works for the walleye that wander by too. I have also used pike flies, seems to turn a few of them on too.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 02-26-2011, 08:25 PM

haha yes i am.
i like a 2 treble hook setup with 30lb flouro leader on each treble with a rd bead and chartuse or orange blade. one treble behind the head the other near the tail and make it so its just barly hanging the mouth down. i like to place my big baits on sandy flats, steep drop offs, ect. now theyd be in deep but after theyd be heading in shallow to get ready to spawn. so after ill b going shallow to bays inlets. herring,anchovies,smelts,suckers in 8-14 inches.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Animal View Post
Dace maybe FishHunter7 is not interested in catching agressive male hammer handles like Mustang.He might be targeting SHE pike.
animal,
geezle's post is requesting help with terminal tackle for hardwater pike. stangs posted a video clip c/w what he was using. all different types of tackle. thought that might have been helpful. geezle's no dummy, he'll be drowning a herring on a tip-up and is looking for some options to jig with.

geezle

i've had luck with the blue and silver little cleo and black double tail jig yellow head @ wab. they also take the little silver and red russians by mistake......but good luck landing them on that.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:38 PM

the hardware pike iv caught was on a macho minnow with the kickin fin, lightly jigged spoons and wireworms
Old 02-26-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
haha yes i am.
i like a 2 treble hook setup with 30lb flouro leader on each treble with a rd bead and chartuse or orange blade. one treble behind the head the other near the tail and make it so its just barly hanging the mouth down. i like to place my big baits on sandy flats, steep drop offs, ect. now theyd be in deep but after theyd be heading in shallow to get ready to spawn. so after ill b going shallow to bays inlets. herring,anchovies,smelts,suckers in 8-14 inches.

hunter7
please don't take offence to this. you need to write a book. seriously.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:40 PM

ill write one for you lol
Old 02-26-2011, 09:54 PM

first off....funny thread and funnier posts.

my picks for meatless fishing

Rapala-blue shad rattling Rap
Rapala-W9 jigging Rap
Storm- Wildeye Swim Shad 9 Bunker
Storm- Wildeye Swim Shad 5/6 Mullet
Salmo-Chubby Darter custom painted in 5 of diamonds colors
Old 02-26-2011, 10:59 PM

Mighty Bites dude.....
Old 02-26-2011, 11:06 PM

chunk of chicken on a treble, not kidding at all. I like taking a bunch of wings and legs, they are not only great bait, but a tasty snack in the shack with the catalytic heater.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-27-2011, 07:30 AM

I've caught a few out of gull keeper size and bigger on a red and white spoon,not a big one a 2.5 inch jigged hard for 5 to 10 times and let sit for mabey 30 seconds and when they come in they are smashing it.i hope this helps,also there is just about always tones of perch in my hole and when they scatter i pull up my wire worm and send down the spoon.they seem to like wire worms to but you know how that goes when they hit those...
Old 02-27-2011, 07:53 AM

Thanks for the input everybody

Ken - If I started cooking up wings in the tent...man, I'd never leave the lake! Mmmmmm wings...

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 02-27-2011, 09:58 AM

I like bucktail jigs (chartreuse head, white hairs with metallic ribbons), and Berkley Atomic teasers for jigging