Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-23-2022, 09:07 AM

Default BC wolf cull

https://globalnews.ca/news/9215166/m...-bc-wolf-cull/

What's everyone's thoughts on this? Ethically, I don't see the problem. If the job needs to be done, it needs to be done. I'm not so certain about the double standard though, in allowing civilians use these rifles.
Old 10-23-2022, 09:33 AM

I'm with you, science and people in the know make the decisions about how many wolves need to be culled - I've got no problem with that and hope the media doesn't stir up a bunch of people who have nothing but emotion get this stopped.

As for the rifles, in years past I would have no problem with them using what I assume is an AR of some type. But...given the recent actions of our government, perhaps they shouldn't be allowed to use them, even if it is more efficient and the best way to get the job done.

Definitely a double standard. What's good for the goose...
Old 10-23-2022, 09:34 AM

Default wolf

Need to use the correct firearm to get the job done. CO,s are issued the same gun for wildlife handling so not sure what concern. Much less chance to only wound a wolf that may suffer if less back up ammo in rifle.
Old 10-23-2022, 09:39 AM

Seems like the most logical tool for the job from what I can see. I don't subscribe to the "I cant so you shouldn't either" mentality. They are also capturing and tracking the judas wolf back to the pack and shooting them from helicopters, other stuff we cannot do.
Old 10-23-2022, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Seems like the most logical tool for the job from what I can see. I don't subscribe to the "I cant so you shouldn't either" mentality. They are also capturing and tracking the judas wolf back to the pack and shooting them from helicopters, other stuff we cannot do.

Agreed.

Creeky....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 10-23-2022, 11:52 AM

A dead wolf, is a dead wolf, doesn't matter what firearm is used. Just another way they twist the narrative to get air time
Old 10-23-2022, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Common sense approach I can get behind also.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 10-23-2022, 12:29 PM

"Seems like the most logical tool for the job from what I can see. I don't subscribe to the "I cant so you shouldn't either" mentality. They are also capturing and tracking the judas wolf back to the pack and shooting them from helicopters, other stuff we cannot do."

I'm surprised you folks don't know this same method has been, and still is, being used in Alberta.
Old 10-23-2022, 12:58 PM

director of conservation intelligence at Pacific Alliance Canada To funny that they have one of these.

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-23-2022, 01:12 PM

I have lost 9 calves in two years. Government trapper 1 juvenile. In season hunting and trapping, 3 adults . I figure around 20k to 25k lost between animal value and vet fees for the survivors. I will buy the ammunition for your door mounted mini gun if you have one or maybe rent a Judas wolf.

B.
Old 10-23-2022, 02:14 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Bang on the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
director of conservation intelligence at Pacific Alliance Canada To funny that they have one of these.
Might want to look up Bryce Casavant himself.
Fired from the CO Service over refusal to follow direct orders.
The bear example was but one of many such occurrences.
He was well known within the Service to be a ***** disturber with anti leanings.

He has gone on to try and be as much of a thorn in the side of the CO's and Wildlife Ministry as possible.

Fancy title for an egotistical anti use strutter IMHO.

Had a couple run-ins with him. He was shocked when I absolutely refused to shake his offered hand, so I explained the why. He simply walked away...

Sensationalist article. Fits well with that one's agenda.

Carry on Snipers.
Wolf numbers in the targeted areas are still to high.
Straight Shooting!

Cheers,
Nog
Old 10-23-2022, 03:43 PM

Quote:
True…though it is fun to see a government official squirm about “assault rifle” vs “patrol rifle” even though it’s being used for an entirely appropriate purpose. Gotta be careful how those official statements are worded, might end up opposing the communist canuckistan regime
Old 10-24-2022, 12:00 AM

so Trudope lied to us...there is another propose for AR`s, they`re not just for killing mass amounts of people in the shortest amount of time
Old 10-24-2022, 12:51 AM

Quote:
You seem like a man with common sense
Old 10-24-2022, 11:31 AM

Should shoot, shovel and shut up. Less the antis know the better. Way too many wolves out there.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2022, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post

I'm surprised you folks don't know this same method has been, and still is, being used in Alberta.
1.You weren't paying attention in grade 5
2. You're stupid
Old 10-24-2022, 11:42 AM

I don't really mind.

What does bug me is the double talk. When they use a AR for hunter vs when I do (hypothetically of course....): Patrol Rifle vs Assault Rifle, Best Suited for the Task vs nobody needs a semi-auto for hunting, etc.