Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-26-2015, 12:47 PM

Default Hand-loaded ammo question

Is there anybody here selling hand-loaded ammo for 7mm-08?
Is it legal to sell hand loaded ammo here?

First time to here. Thanks for any comments.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:58 PM

Selling reloaded ammunition without the necessary blessings, and licensing from Natural Resources Canada is illegal.

However if you were to purchase your own components, and were to come on over to my place, I would then show you the steps in the process, necessary for you to then use my equipment to reload your own ammunition.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-26-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Selling reloaded ammunition without the necessary blessings, and licensing from Natural Resources Canada is illegal.

However if you were to purchase your own components, and were to come on over to my place, I would then show you the steps in the process, necessary for you to then use my equipment to reload your own ammunition.

X2

.....you won't like me when I'm angry...
.....heck you probably won't like me even when I'm not
Old 07-26-2015, 01:44 PM

X3
Old 07-26-2015, 01:52 PM

Considering the potential for liability its not worth a persons time to sell handloaded ammunition unless they were specifically licenced and insured to do so. Imagine earning $6 for selling some ammo you handloaded, the customer experiences a catastrophic misfire due to a bad powder charge, gets injured, gets a good lawyer and now you've lost your house.......

Its good to befriend some reloaders and learn the ropes, you'll even make some friends, just leave the financial transaction part out of it.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:08 PM
Banned

And its a liability to give someone a ride in your personal vehicle and accept payment for such service , you are not insured or licensed

Or maybe change a motorist unable to change his own flat tire without a garage policy , they give you $20 to show appreciation , an hour later the wheel comes of ,kills someone , you get sued

Welcome to the granny state,

OH, about reloading/hand loading ??? Be VERY SURE TO Read the plethora of waivers and disclaimers from powder manufacturers and loading equiptment manufacturers ,,,

Now do everything bythe book, blow your face apart with a bad Hand load and try collect some cash !
Old 07-26-2015, 02:09 PM

A lot of people think that when you reload your making factory equivalent ammunition and its just simple process of slapping them together. Load development is important for your particular rifle and there are not any shortcuts. I wish there was an easy recipe to duplicate factory loads, life would be easy.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
A lot of people think that when you reload your making factory equivalent ammunition and its just simple process of slapping them together. Load development is important for your particular rifle and there are not any shortcuts. I wish there was an easy recipe to duplicate factory loads, life would be easy.
I have had the opportunity to see an ammo box from people who claimed that their firearm wasn't shooting anywhere nearly as claímed. In the boxes of ammo, seating depth consitency was horrible, in some cases 1/8" difference between a mere 50 rounds. Upon closer inspection, there were different head stamps and even primer choices. All of said rounds were loaded "according to the book" without regards for load development. Some of these people even went as far as telling me that their firearms were pooched. Needless to say, close attention to proper load development and accurate reloading practises revealed that said fiream was in fact not the culprit. Never mind reloading to factory specifications, a lot of people that own a press figure themselves to be automatically labelled as "reloaders" simply because they go with the maximum load in the manual and run with it. Heck, I even had a guy ask me to re-barrel his gun because he figured it was bent. He simply had severe copper fouling and poor ammo.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:21 PM

Some guys are re loaders others are hand loaders. Big difference in my experience.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:39 PM

Seems like it's not easy to get started with reloading or hand loading.
THe reason I asked this question is, I m planning to get a 7mm-08 for the wife due to it's less recoil, and ammo availability in calgary are only 120/140 grain, but from Wikipedia, ammo range for 7-08 should be very wide, from varmint to big game.
Any comments on 7-08 or it's ammo availability? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.Su View Post
THe reason I asked this question is, I m planning to get a 7mm-08 for the wife due to it's less recoil, and ammo availability in calgary are only 120/140 grain, but from Wikipedia, ammo range for 7-08 should be very wide, from varmint to big game.
Where you located? As stated I or a few other guys on here would be more than happy to help you out by showing you how and letting you use our equipment to make your own. Who knows it might turn into your next hobby. I have a few guys who I help load their own rounds on my equipment and a few who have the run of my shop to do their own when ever they want. A few other guys have already made similar offers. I have a 7-08 die set and if you supply powder and projectiles I could set you up Rollin your own. Or if one of the others are closer to you take them up on it.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Where you located? As stated I or a few other guys on here would be more than happy to help you out by showing you how and letting you use our equipment to make your own. Who knows it might turn into your next hobby. I have a few guys who I help load their own rounds on my equipment and a few who have the run of my shop to do their own when ever they want. A few other guys have already made similar offers. I have a 7-08 die set and if you supply powder and projectiles I could set you up Rollin your own. Or if one of the others are closer to you take them up on it.
Thank you for your kindness.
I m in Calgary, and will contact one of you guys after I get the 7mm-08. THanks again.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
I do not shoot a 7-08 but if I was looking to replace my 308 or get a great all around cartridge I would certainly consider one.
If you are interested in building some hand loads for your wife you are more than welcome to bring brass, bullets and dies over to my place and we can walk through it. I will supply the powder for the first batch. We can use Trailboss to make some awesome plinking loads that will have less recoil than a 223. We could also build some reduced hunting loads with various charges of H4895.

These reduced loads are pretty straight forward and are mostly what I load. I load them for myself, my sons, friends and their kids...

Just a thought, good luck with your search.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:02 PM
Banned

Quote:

First post?

Count is 17.

Are you new or still trying?

If you are truly new, you would have seen the sticky at the top of the forum?

If you do want answers look at the big picture.

Remember I like fire.

Your question is welcomed, and I apologise for not being positive.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:06 PM
Gone Hunting

It's a whole lot easier to learn how to load you own then to deal with the consequences of hand loaded ammunition provided by someone who doesn't follow safe reloading practices.

How can you know what is safe and what is not if you don't learn the whole process ?

Edit; I was asked to repair a rifle that had been damaged by improper hand loads. Provided by a close friend of the rifles owner I might add.

Turned out the rifle was a write off. The bolt was warped and cracked in critical areas and the chamber was enlarged due to over pressure.

The shooter came within a whisker of serious injury or death.

It's not worth the risk. The only sure way to know if a handload is safe is to do them yourself, after getting the proper training and then, only if you follow the instructions to the letter.

It's not hard to learn or to do.

George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by KegRiver; 07-26-2015 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purgatory.sv View Post
First post?

Count is 17.

Are you new or still trying?

If you are truly new, you would have seen the sticky at the top of the forum?

If you do want answers look at the big picture.

Remember I like fire.

Your question is welcomed, and I apologise for not being positive.
What I meant is it's the first time in the Gun & Ammo Forum. Anyways, sorry for the confusion. Just wanted to get some comments on 7mm-08 ammo availability, as on Basspro website only 120/140 grain ammo are available, but Wikipedia says there is a wide range for the bullet weight.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:06 PM

Don't mind all the doom and gloom portrayed here with handloads. I load for lots of other peoples rifles and pretty much all of mine , the world hasn't ended.

Prolly better to slowly acquire the handloading essentials and take up one of the guys on there offer. It's a fun and relaxing past time and merits satisfying results.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:08 PM

Quote:
What I meant is it's the first time in the Gun & Ammo Forum. Anyways, sorry for the confusion. Just wanted to get some comments on 7mm-08 ammo availability, as on Basspro website only 120/140 grain ammo are available, but Wikipedia says there is a wide range for the bullet weight.
Ignore Wikipedia, factory roads for the 7mm-08 are fairly limited compared to many cartridges, but even if all that you could find was 120-140gr bullets, they are all that you will ever need for the 7mm-08 anyways.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:11 PM

Quote:

As others have said it is illegal to sell it.

If you want to re-load, it is a passion into itself. Reloading books help, as does the equipment, and components to build a safe and accurate load for your rifle.

Then it is to the range for practical accuracy testing. What works in one rifle might not work in another.

There are some tremendously helpful people and experienced with reloading who would be more than willing to help you get started
Old 07-28-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Forget about the range of bullets available 90% of people find one load, weight combo and stick with it for everything besides who wants to rezero everytime you switch loads anyway you will never need anything else but the 120-140g range anyway.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
What are you expecting to find for bullet weights? You said varmint to big game. What are you looking to do with the round?
Old 07-28-2015, 01:04 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf308 View Post
Don't mind all the doom and gloom portrayed here with handloads. I load for lots of other peoples rifles and pretty much all of mine , the world hasn't ended.

Prolly better to slowly acquire the handloading essentials and take up one of the guys on there offer. It's a fun and relaxing past time and merits satisfying results.
Good advice. After all new rifles are a dime a dozen and you will heal quickly if things go too far south.

Yeah you might do a fine job. But a search of these forums will turn up plenty of proof that not every handloader is as careful.

There have been more then enough accidents caused by handloads used in a rifle they were not developed for.

That's not my opinion. That's straight from more then one of my reloading manuals. Manuals written by people who know a whole lot more then you and I do.

You claim to know what you are doing, and maybe you do. But unless you are personally vouching for whoever might provide handloads for someone else it is terribly irresponsible to encourage an untrained in hand-loading individual to ignore the warnings.

Honestly, your response suggests to me that you are an accident waiting to happen.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-28-2015, 01:22 PM

I'm sure a lot of people here have trouble making toast. Holy crap.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-28-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I'm sure a lot of people here have trouble making toast. Holy crap.
Don't laugh.... I can't make toast...
Old 07-28-2015, 01:42 PM

One of the first rules regarding reloaded ammunition.

NEVER SHOOT RELOADS YOU DID NOT MAKE YOURSELF.

I often buy complete tool collections that contain boxes of reloaded ammunition with questionable or no load records attached. I value them as components only minus the labor to disassemble them. Usually I just pull the bullets, dump the powder, and reload and seat immediately. Most of the time I suspect there would be no problem, but what is the point of shooting just to make noise and punch expensive holes in paper, without the ability to develop repeatable loads or to gather useful data.

I have often been tempted to shoot the 38spl target loads in a 357 mag but it is just not worth the risk that the good ol boy did a double charge of Bullseye by mistake.

I take full responsibility for my own loads, but will not accept the risk of others competence.

Good Luck, YMMV.