Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-28-2018, 09:09 PM

Default Tooth of the Arrow

Some guys were interested in knowing about a new(er) head on the market. It’s a cross between a Montec and a Slick Trick taking the best of both.

Short stout strong design, 4 blades, low profile, super sharp, heat treated, one piece solid machined.

Previously I was unable to get a fixed head to tune out past 40-50 yards. These ones I have been able to get to group at 100 yards! A buddies 70 year old mother took a moose with a short draw APA rattler at 40lbs last year...with a wicked blood trail. All things considered equal I think the fixed head is the way to go...provided you can get them to tune well. My bow spits these out around 296fps, a buddy is using them out of a turbo cam at over 310fps. If I had a flyer, it just needed to be nock tuned and was likely the arrow not the head.

They come in 85,100,125,175 weight option, they also come in a 4 blade 1 3/16” cut. I was originally concerned about a small cutting diameter but 1”x1” is actully fairly large and creates a nice hole. Hoping a local store will carry them soon!

100 yard group

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 08-28-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:06 PM

I went to a fixed head this year as well. At 70 yards the G5 Strikers are grouping with field points. Never shot out to 100 yet. But I am still keeping 2 GR's 1 3/8 razortips in the quiver...... tough to change sometimes so I am going to ease myself into it.

The TOTA looks like a winner. I shot slick trick standard for a couple of seasons and this looks like a more stout version with the ability to re-sharpen. I watched a video on them and it is a small company out of Minnesota and each head is inspected and spin tested prior to packaging. Sounds like awesome quality control, lets hope they don't get too big and lose some of that small company attention to detail.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:30 AM

Looks cool Lefty. How easy are they to sharpen? Can you sharpen 2 opposing blade surfaces at once with a flat stone? Then rotate 90* and repeat?

The last time I looked at fixed, I could sharpen using this method but it meant that each blade cutting angles were a little too big for my liking.

If they group like that, perhaps it's time that I begin looking at fixed again....

J.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:41 AM

They sell a sharpener for them, that holds the specific blade angle. It’s less than a pack of heads to purchase. They actually stay sharp a long time. I find out of the pack they are sharper than the Montecs and they hold an edge.

Oh and they carry a 100% satisfaction money back guarantee.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 08-29-2018 at 07:58 AM.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:13 AM

Good looking heads, a lot like the VPA heads.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:54 AM

Where did you pick yours up Lefty? Online I’m assuming?

BG
Old 08-29-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeGardner View Post

BG
Exsile sports in lloydminster is carrying them, they can be ordered online to. I heard jimbows Calgary is going to carry them to?
Old 08-29-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeGardner View Post

BG
A buddy of mine is a friend of the owner, he has been ordering them in for people. Jim Bows Calgary will have a limited supply tomorrow on a trial basis. If there is demand and interest they may stock them as a regular item. So if you want them, call Jim Bows and let them know you want some.

LC
Old 08-29-2018, 12:24 PM

Poor results on the shoulder blade test..

https://youtu.be/VcJ4_RIdNoI 6:00 min mark
Old 08-29-2018, 12:53 PM

So are you going to be hunting with those this season, or are you sticking with the old standard?
Old 08-29-2018, 01:06 PM

I never put too much stake into the broadhead shoulder blade tests personally....if the head makes it through it’s a bonus. If you hit them there its not where you are supposed to be anyhow.

I drifted a shoulder blade last year (16yrds, Sight was set wrong in the heat of the moment)...and it didn’t punch through. Almost the same spot as in the video, if it gets through it’s doing damage, if the head bends but it penetrates...it’s doing damage. A shoulder blade has varying locations that will possibly punch through or stop dead. They punch through a steel drum well...lots of others bend or break.

Just my thoughts. It’s more important they tune well so you can hit where you are supposed to.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 08-29-2018 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:56 PM

I realized they tested the XL which is 1 3/16” cut, those blades are bigger and as a result thinner than the standard 1” I have tested. Also the shot placement was all over the map...a good comparison would have all heads hitting the same area of the shoulder blade. The bone density in a shoulder blade varies greatly depending on location.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 08-29-2018 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:51 PM

It's still a good measure of durability on a stand alone basis. To me broadheads are disposable, and this just shows you likely wont be resharpening them after hitting an animal.

What did a pack cost you?
Old 08-29-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasc43 View Post
It's still a good measure of durability on a stand alone basis. To me broadheads are disposable, and this just shows you likely wont be resharpening them after hitting an animal.

What did a pack cost you?
A buddy used a single head on 3 animals in a single season, but he made boiler room shots (not into big bone), don’t even know if he had to sharpen it. A single shot in a test isn’t always the best info...but if I bent a blade or a shaft, I agree...get a new one. I believe they are on par with other heads, about $55 CAD per pack of three incl the tightening tool.

I really hope to have some first hand experience to share soon!

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 08-29-2018 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:24 PM

I have 3 packs of the 1" 125gr. Heads that I will be using this year. Hopefully I can put a shot where it counts into a deer or two.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:52 AM

I’ve changed broadheads 3 times now, started with fixed as that’s my preference but couldn’t ever get them tuned confidently. Switched to mechanical and have had better luck, and the massive blood trail that the Wack Em 2 blade just left on a double lung shot on a doe last Sunday was pretty encouraging. One blade was bent a bit and is now another practice head. I’m a frugal guy, I can’t hide that, so get 4 heads for the price of 3 is a win in my books.

BUT I wouldn’t hesitate to try these Tooth Of The Arrow, post some results for us Lefty and maybe I’ll buy a pack or two.

They fly like your field points? Or they just tuned well?

BG
Old 08-30-2018, 08:55 AM

I can tune my bow for them to match field points but it throws off my bare shaft tune. So I keep the bare shaft tune and adjust sights for broad heads

LC
Old 08-30-2018, 12:30 PM

Just saw Jim Bows Calgary has these in stock 85/100/125 grain heads available.

LC
Old 08-30-2018, 03:01 PM

Are you field staff for these heads now. It is interesting to me that you were a die hard Grim Reaper guy when you were a field rep so I assume with this endorsement you are no longer a GR field staff.

Not saying these may not be a great product but just nice to know if the review is unbiased
Old 08-30-2018, 03:08 PM

I decided to try these out because I ran into a couple of small things with mechanicals, inherit issues to mechanicals. I wanted to revisit fixed blades after a buddy had good luck. My buddy who is field staff for them, had me try these out....and they were very impressive. People have been asking me about them and where to get them, I help out at Jim Bows from time to time. So just passing along info to many instead of answering multiple PMs.

When I share results...the results are the results...I report what I have found pros and cons.

If I use a mechanical...it’s going to be Grim Reaper Razortip

If I use a fixed...it’s gping to be Tooth of the Arrow.

It’s good to have strong confidence in different products.

LC
Old 08-30-2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I decided to try these out because I ran into a couple of small things with mechanicals, inherit issues to mechanicals. I wanted to revisit fixed blades after a buddy had good luck. My buddy who is field staff for them, had me try these out....and they were very impressive. People have been asking me about them and where to get them, I help out at Jim Bows from time to time. So just passing along info to many instead of answering multiple PMs.

When I share results...the results are the results...I report what I have found pros and cons.

If I use a mechanical...it’s going to be Grim Reaper Razortip

If I use a fixed...it’s gping to be Tooth of the Arrow.

It’s good to have strong confidence in different products.

LC
Well Lefty, just picked up a half dozen from Jim this afternoon. Was going Montecs until I saw you preaching these hard. Excited to give them a fling!
Old 08-31-2018, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grump View Post
Well Lefty, just picked up a half dozen from Jim this afternoon. Was going Montecs until I saw you preaching these hard. Excited to give them a fling!
Cool! Let me know what your honest impressions are.

LC
Old 09-07-2018, 05:23 PM

Check out born and raised out doors they shoot a bunch of broad heads through actual shoulder blades and they did not do well
Old 09-07-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Check out born and raised out doors they shoot a bunch of broad heads through actual shoulder blades and they did not do well
Did you notice where they shot the shoulder blade? Different place each time. The TOTA was shot into the second thickest part whereas others...the thinnest. It still made it through...I know from experience mechanicals don’t make it through that area.

LC
Old 10-12-2018, 07:09 AM

Default Tota

Well you convinced me enough to try them they look awesome, and a few stores in AB carry them now. Can't wait to see the results but from what I've read from people they are the way to go! Usually a montec person but these do look like the best of both worlds between them and slick tricks....
Old 10-12-2018, 10:14 AM

I've been using them for two years now 100 grain 1 3/16" penetrates well, decent blood trail. Calgary archery centre has the 1".
Old 10-12-2018, 10:35 AM

Smile Tooth of the Arrow Broadheads

We carry the standard 1" and XL 13/16" 100 grain heads.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accurate Archery View Post
We carry the standard 1" and XL 13/16" 100 grain heads.
Highly recommend buying from him, bought mine from there yesterday, great to deal with and has great customer service! Thanks again, see you when its time for the upgraded bow
Old 11-19-2018, 12:42 PM

Has anyone killed any animals with these broadheads this year? Just curious about people's first hand opinions with their performance on game.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:11 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I never put too much stake into the broadhead shoulder blade tests personally....if the head makes it through it’s a bonus. If you hit them there its not where you are supposed to be anyhow.

I drifted a shoulder blade last year (16yrds, Sight was set wrong in the heat of the moment)...and it didn’t punch through. Almost the same spot as in the video, if it gets through it’s doing damage, if the head bends but it penetrates...it’s doing damage. A shoulder blade has varying locations that will possibly punch through or stop dead. They punch through a steel drum well...lots of others bend or break.

Just my thoughts. It’s more important they tune well so you can hit where you are supposed to.

LC
Exactly...had one bounce off a moose...not cool....place it where it is supposed to go.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...