Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-21-2020, 08:40 AM

Default Cabela's Firearms

Anyone notice that Cabela's has really trimmed down their firearm selection?

They actually deleted the whole Lever Action category along with all the rifles that used to be in it.

To be honest I don't really have any desire to purchase any from them anyways but they do have a nice website that makes it easy to browse, compare, and price match.
Old 12-21-2020, 10:09 AM

What else do you do when you cannot replenish stock?
Have you not heard of the shortage of supply in the US?
Old 12-21-2020, 11:03 AM

IMO, Cabelas only sells items that they can sell a lot of. If you need something out of the ordinary, they are not the place to go.

If you're into fudge, they've got to be near the top of the list.
Old 12-21-2020, 11:10 AM

Default Selection

In the retail game its all about turns of inventory hence the lack of selection If you want something unique you need to support the specialty shops who even if they do not have it will order it in for you provided you put 50% down .... its just how the game works ..... sometimes the only way to get something is to go to the source
Old 12-21-2020, 11:43 AM

If you look on P&D’s web site , their inventory is way down as well. I think a lot of guns have gone out the door this year compared to other “normal” years and renewing stock is not as easy as it used to be. manufacturing has slowed + demand is high = low inventory.
Old 12-21-2020, 11:49 AM

I did notice that the used handgun display at P&D was completely empty when I was there last.
Old 12-21-2020, 12:27 PM

I went for a .22 they are out of quite a few models and brands.
Old 12-21-2020, 01:54 PM

It’s too bad that inventories are low. But high demand for firearms and ammo in Canada is good news. And good for shooting sports, hunting and related businesses.
Old 12-21-2020, 02:58 PM

I heard if you buy a gun at Cabela's they do not give warrantee and you have to ship it to the manufacture for Warrantee . This is why I would go to PD first.
Old 12-21-2020, 02:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
IMO, Cabelas only sells items that they can sell a lot of. If you need something out of the ordinary, they are not the place to go.

If you're into fudge, they've got to be near the top of the list.
For the last couple of years the only reason I go to Cabelas is for the snacks 😂
Old 12-21-2020, 04:37 PM

In the US this year there has been 7,000,000 fire arms purchases by new gun owners. Each one buys two boxes of ammo and it really isn't hard to see where the guns and ammo are going.
Old 12-21-2020, 05:15 PM

At one time I heard that Canada was less than 3% of USA export, and sales of firearms and ammo, not sure if that in fact was an accurate figure or not?
Old 12-21-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUDUHNTR View Post
At one time I heard that Canada was less than 3% of USA export, and sales of firearms and ammo, not sure if that in fact was an accurate figure or not?

That would sound right. The Canadian economy is roughly 1/10th of the US, so consider 10% the starting point. Then factor in the US demand for firearms versus Canada and 3% doesn’t sound ridiculous to me.

Cabelas is still a good store to have around, even if it doesn’t always have the right selection. In Calgary is hard (surprisingly enough) to find reloading components and they seem to have a good supply at least. Go figure? 1.3 million people and we don’t have a gun shop lol. I think more and more are turning online in guessing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-22-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbezol View Post
Anyone notice that Cabela's has really trimmed down their firearm selection?

They actually deleted the whole Lever Action category along with all the rifles that used to be in it.

To be honest I don't really have any desire to purchase any from them anyways but they do have a nice website that makes it easy to browse, compare, and price match.
Cabela's no different than any. other Canadian retailer. They close the lever action wing because no manufacturer in the world can supply them with Lever guns... end of story
Old 12-23-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
Cabela's no different than any. other Canadian retailer. They close the lever action wing because no manufacturer in the world can supply them with Lever guns... end of story
Unlike many firearms retailers, Cabelas only lists what they have in stock or what they can get in stock. It's a bit annoying to search for a item and then inevitably see those three little words - out of stock.

Colin
Old 12-23-2020, 08:16 AM

Like most firearms dealers, the supply is getting low, and the situation is only getting worse. Even during normal conditions, Cabelas typically only stocks the faster movers or the cheap firearms, and if there is an issue with a firearm, you are pretty much on your own to deal with the manufacturer, so they are not a place that I would ever shop for firearms.
Old 12-23-2020, 08:38 AM

With the gun ban list being essentially a living document, I'd be very hesitant to stock a lot of firearms if I was a retailer in Canada right now. Especially ones that are restricted.
Old 12-23-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
With the gun ban list being essentially a living document, I'd be very hesitant to stock a lot of firearms if I was a retailer in Canada right now. Especially ones that are restricted.
...or semi auto, or black/polymer stocked, or with a detachable magazine or anything else that can be deemed tactical or fun.

Colin
Old 12-23-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colroggal View Post
...or semi auto, or black/polymer stocked, or with a detachable magazine or anything else that can be deemed tactical or fun.

Colin

Yup! Exactly.
Old 12-23-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUDUHNTR View Post
That's still alot firearms thought. If they sold 18 M in 2020 in the US, thats 540K in Canada. Could be more though....
Old 12-24-2020, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
That's still alot firearms thought. If they sold 18 M in 2020 in the US, thats 540K in Canada. Could be more though....
I found this part of an article form the gunblog.ca, lots of interesting facts and info there.

Companies brought in more than 334,000 guns in 2019, with an import value exceeding $150 million. At a hypothetical 25% markup plus tax, that would retail for more than $200 million.

Lots of good reading here

https://thegunblog.ca/facts-stats/