Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-15-2018, 09:08 PM

Default 224 Valkyrie - anyone here jumping on the wagon ?

While originally intended for the AR modular rifle platform, this cartridge has definite potential in bolt-action rifles too.
Has anyone here got a rifle chambered in this new round, or is it too new still (to be available in Canada) ?
Supersonic to 1300 yards in a .22 caliber projectile seems enticing for those looking for flat-shooting varmint rifle.
Savage has made an AR-type rifle for this new cartridge, and JP Enterprises has made one too (they're premier AR-platform makers).
Quite a few Youtube gun reviewers are talking about it, MAC and 22 Plinkster being 2 notables.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=wzxtZL5nqxM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff54rCQQq-I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usjOPOvbmmI&t=3s

Old 01-15-2018, 09:23 PM

Looks like a great cartridge that's following the modern design trend of shorter case and heavy bullet for caliber. This falls along the lines of the 6.5 Creedmoor and .338 Norma in terms of proportions and allows the heavy bullets to be seated out of the case where they belong.

I expect it will be supremely accurate. I'd consider one in a bolt gun if I had money to burn but I have the 6.5 bug right now.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:32 PM

Default To the experts

Is just a .22 cal. version of the 6 mm bench rest cartridge?

Do the bullet weights overlap with the 6 mm?

What do you think the powder is in that case?

Last, and just because I'm curious, how many cartridges can send their bullets that fast and that far.

I guess I have one more, is this something new, or is it just another rifle that does things that other rifles that we have in the safe do just as well?

Thanks guys
Old 01-15-2018, 11:45 PM

I don't believe that 6BR is a round commonly available on store shelves, is it ?
Unlike the rest of the comparable .22 caliber cartridges (.223 Rem/22-250/22 Nosler), nor is it a cartridge that factory rifle makers chamber many guns in.

I think the point is, it's a .22 caliber cartidge that easily fits Stanag mags but outperforms any other factory .22 ammo available.
And it has ballistics that are similar to much larger cartidges (6.5 Creedmoor), but with half the recoil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeMpd2qAY94
Old 01-15-2018, 11:50 PM

Thumbs up

Depends on cost/availability of brass. Seems like a legitimate RD that may be fun and a bit easyer on barrels.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:13 AM

Still won't touch the 22-250. If you're putting it in a bolt rifle anyway you're not going to gain anything except hard to find brass. If you want something more efficient go with a .22 br or .22 dasher, 6br brass is pretty easy to find.