Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-11-2024, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
Would you be satisfied doing trails after youth of motocross?
I think this is a pretty valid question. I was never huge into motocross by any means, but when I rode I liked going to the track for a rip a lot more than I ever enjoyed trail riding. Part of that is because in my area quality trails are few and far between.

I did make a brief attempt at doing the dual sport thing about a decade ago. Bought a near new WR250R. It was a fun enough bike that could do everything "just well enough", while not being particularly great at anything. Not quite enough bike for the highway (and fuel tank was on the small side), not quite nimble enough to really ride hard on the trails. Definitely not enough bike for the track unless one just wanted to do some leisure laps. It was nice being able to legally hop on the highway from one set of trails to the next. It was my first foray into riding on the road and that part got to me in a real hurry. Nearly run over a a few times by ole gals who could hardly see over the steering wheel, including a near-miss head on where she pulled out to pass somebody. I damn near put the bike in the ditch to avoid her, was probably within 4' of her car and I'm not sure she ever had the slightest clue I was there. Decided then the dual sport thing wasn't for me, sold the bike and bought my first boat instead.

I haven't watched the market at all over the last decade, though the thought of getting a bike crosses my mind occasionally. I'm surprised to see Yamaha threw in the towel on the WR dual sports. I think if I ever tried to get back into riding I'd look at something on the competitive side of trail bikes. WR450F or something from KTM. Something that could still handle some fun at the track.
Old 03-11-2024, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
This is something that I hadn't even considered, all of the areas that were shut down during the fire season in the last few years. I had just set my sights on a nice used WR450F or a CRF250X, then I saw this post. Although I'm not a fan of riding a bike in the city, secondary roads are still something that would be doable. Something to seriously ponder
There is no short of adventure in our part of the world.

https://www.wikiloc.com/trails/trail...canada/alberta

https://ithinkwemissedaturn.com/routes/

Highway riding isnt fun in general, but the good news is most places in this province you can get to via back roads.
Old 03-11-2024, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
Would you be satisfied doing trails after youth of motocross?
If you get pushing limit a bit to much with side by side or truck off roading, if you wreck it wouldn't hurt as much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
I think this is a pretty valid question. I was never huge into motocross by any means, but when I rode I liked going to the track for a rip a lot more than I ever enjoyed trail riding. Part of that is because in my area quality trails are few and far between.

I did make a brief attempt at doing the dual sport thing about a decade ago. Bought a near new WR250R. It was a fun enough bike that could do everything "just well enough", while not being particularly great at anything. Not quite enough bike for the highway (and fuel tank was on the small side), not quite nimble enough to really ride hard on the trails. Definitely not enough bike for the track unless one just wanted to do some leisure laps. It was nice being able to legally hop on the highway from one set of trails to the next. It was my first foray into riding on the road and that part got to me in a real hurry. Nearly run over a a few times by ole gals who could hardly see over the steering wheel, including a near-miss head on where she pulled out to pass somebody. I damn near put the bike in the ditch to avoid her, was probably within 4' of her car and I'm not sure she ever had the slightest clue I was there. Decided then the dual sport thing wasn't for me, sold the bike and bought my first boat instead.

I haven't watched the market at all over the last decade, though the thought of getting a bike crosses my mind occasionally. I'm surprised to see Yamaha threw in the towel on the WR dual sports. I think if I ever tried to get back into riding I'd look at something on the competitive side of trail bikes. WR450F or something from KTM. Something that could still handle some fun at the track.

I'm in my 50's now, closed course MX days are long behind me. Some technical single track/enduro and fire roads are more than enough to make me want to throw my leg over a bike again.

As for a SXS or off-roading a truck, not my thing and I wouldn't have enough room in my garage.
Old 03-11-2024, 03:51 PM
AO Sponsor

For a guy like me it would be more just about getting off the beaten path and crawling around some back roads and logging roads etc. I could not be out thrashing around and being all stunty so an adventure touring would be perfect. I am a Ducati guy so the Multistrada would be just the ticket.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 03-11-2024, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave P View Post
There is no short of adventure in our part of the world.

https://www.wikiloc.com/trails/trail...canada/alberta

https://ithinkwemissedaturn.com/routes/

Highway riding isnt fun in general, but the good news is most places in this province you can get to via back roads.
Funnest trip I used to do... load up the bike with camping gear, ride 5 hours from Slave Lake to Hinton using about 50% gravel roads. Set up camp, strip the bags and racks, then spend a couple days riding trails and sand dunes. Hit the paved sweepers on the back route from Edson to Whitecourt on the way home

IMO thats the beauty of a biger thumper, get too far off of a 650 single, and at least one part of that trip is not going to be much fun.
Old 03-12-2024, 05:04 PM

I've been riding off and on most of my life, but pretty well only street bikes, but I always thought I would have fun with a dual sport type of bike.

These days I prefer to ride gravel, back roads and some trails if they aren't too rough. Have had a 2002 Road King since new, great bike, but not really suitable for that kind of thing.

Did the obligatory researching, web surfing, youtube watching, and now I have a new 2023 Suzuki DR650.

We've had some real nice weather here last couple days and I've put almost 300km on it and really like it.

Might not scratch your itch, with being a former MXer, but seems to be a good all round kind of bike, with tons of after-market parts available and lots of information on the online forums.
Old 03-12-2024, 06:17 PM

Have you considered a Ural? 2 wheel drive, side car, will go anywhere, all year round. Carry all the gear you want, mounting bracket for a winch is available, haul out a deer, bear, moose. Whatever you fancy. Not quite the two wheeled adventure but it’ll go where a quad will go.

Tullfan
Old 03-16-2024, 06:42 PM

I picked up a nice old bike today, not a dual sport but probably one of the best trail bikes ever made. I had been looking for a decent Suzuki DRZ400E as I had ridden one when they first came out and thought that it would likely be a good bike for me when I mellowed out (fast forward 24 years). Plus they are bulletproof low maintenance bikes. I ended up finding one in green, a really nice bone stock Kawasaki 2003 KLX400R. I'm actually kind of happy, because I grew up riding Kawasaki motorcycles when I was a kid.

It was a one owner bike, and it had been sitting on a lift in his garage unused for the last 10 years, so not many hours on it. It still has the original tires on it. He was pretty particular so it's been well kept. He put a new battery in it and squirted some lube in the top end and left it for a couple of days before he turned it over. He changed the oil/filter and once he put the plug back in and put some fuel in the tank, it started on about the 4th crank.

It has some nice accessories like aftermarket bars, bark busters, carbon fiber skid plate/case covers and a trip computer. He was an awesome guy who also threw in a box with some spare parts, service manual, some riding gear, a hydraulic bike lift as well as all of the original documentation.

So next up will be taking the seat/panels off to give it a good scrubbing (even though it's not really dirty), throw in a carb kit, check/re-pack the bearings if necessary, change the fluids, grab a new air filter and throw on some new tires. All in all, a really nice bike for being 21 years old.

I had been looking at a couple of used modern 250s and 450s, but thought that this would suit me fine for my age and current riding style. Who knows, if I get the urge I can always get a dual sport kit for it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1250.jpg (61.0 KB, 30 views)
Old 03-16-2024, 10:52 PM

Good choice. I saw that on Facebook. Looked pretty clean for 20 year old bike. Bulletproof motor. Freshen up oils, and suspension. Good to go. Plus I think it’s possible to license for street. 👍

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
I picked up a nice old bike today, not a dual sport but probably one of the best trail bikes ever made. I had been looking for a decent Suzuki DRZ400E as I had ridden one when they first came out and thought that it would likely be a good bike for me when I mellowed out (fast forward 24 years). Plus they are bulletproof low maintenance bikes. I ended up finding one in green, a really nice bone stock Kawasaki 2003 KLX400R. I'm actually kind of happy, because I grew up riding Kawasaki motorcycles when I was a kid.

It was a one owner bike, and it had been sitting on a lift in his garage unused for the last 10 years, so not many hours on it. It still has the original tires on it. He was pretty particular so it's been well kept. He put a new battery in it and squirted some lube in the top end and left it for a couple of days before he turned it over. He changed the oil/filter and once he put the plug back in and put some fuel in the tank, it started on about the 4th crank.

It has some nice accessories like aftermarket bars, bark busters, carbon fiber skid plate/case covers and a trip computer. He was an awesome guy who also threw in a box with some spare parts, service manual, some riding gear, a hydraulic bike lift as well as all of the original documentation.

So next up will be taking the seat/panels off to give it a good scrubbing (even though it's not really dirty), throw in a carb kit, check/re-pack the bearings if necessary, change the fluids, grab a new air filter and throw on some new tires. All in all, a really nice bike for being 21 years old.

I had been looking at a couple of used modern 250s and 450s, but thought that this would suit me fine for my age and current riding style. Who knows, if I get the urge I can always get a dual sport kit for it.
Old 03-17-2024, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
Good choice. I saw that on Facebook. Looked pretty clean for 20 year old bike. Bulletproof motor. Freshen up oils, and suspension. Good to go. Plus I think it’s possible to license for street. 👍

I tore the seat, tank, panels and carb off today to give things a once over and a bit of a scrubbing. All bearings, chain, sprocket and suspension bushings look good. Carb has a bit of gooey varnish in it so I'll likely take it somewhere to have a good ultrasonic bath. The only other things I could find that need attention are a gasket for the water pump housing, air filter and new tires/tubes due to their age. Pretty happy with the purchase so far.