Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-17-2024, 10:17 AM

Default 2012 dodge 2500 6.7 diesel

Considering picking a used 2012 dodge 2500 with the 6.7 cummins in it for towing the horse trailer. It won't get a lot of Iles a year, maybe 20,000. Truck appears to be in good shape (going to look closer) but has 160,000km. Anyone have experience with this year of dodge?
Old 03-17-2024, 10:46 AM

I think 2012 was the first year for DEF. I put 350k on a 2013 without any trouble before trading on a 2019. Only traded it because of the cost/risk of something happening.
The coil springs in the rear needed air bags for the big trailers. These engines do not like short trips, they need to get warmed up and don't let them idle if they haven't been deleted.
Use the engine brake feature to help keep the turbo clean. A new turbo is 15k
The cost of oil and fuel filters was a surprise but I was never disappointed when I needed power.
Old 03-17-2024, 11:30 AM

Default 2012 Cummins

The 2012 Ram2500 has rear leaf springs and was the last year of the 6.7L Cummins with NO Def, if the truck is clean and in nice shape body wise do not hesitate, ball joint and brakes usually are good till 250k plus, and use the engine brake always to keep the actuator in use, a replacement turbo can be had for about $4000 if it was necessary in the future,fyi.
Old 03-17-2024, 11:35 AM

I have a 2011, love it but some models need certain attention. I believe the 12s are the last yr of non DEF hence they are very popular. At 160 I'd expect it has been deleted, if it hasn't been you should plan to do it, fixing a DFP is a waste of time. Keep the Cat and resell it, in my case it nearly covered the cost of the delete (2600 delete, got 1800 from the cat).

I'd expect it has a 68RFE tranny, these can be problematic. The underdrive solenoids can develop leaks partially engaging overdrive and roasting clutchpacks. Rebuilds often address these few problematic items. You can also have a shop install the upgrade kit, mine cost 1200. Make sure they measure the solenoid vac prior to installing the kit. If the solenoids are leaking a kit is a waste.

If the body is in good shape these thing hold value well. Mine is near mint and was recently offered 45k for it. I have lost track of how many I know with 600+ on the clock
Old 03-17-2024, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big zeke View Post
I have a 2011, love it but some models need certain attention. I believe the 12s are the last yr of non DEF hence they are very popular. At 160 I'd expect it has been deleted, if it hasn't been you should plan to do it, fixing a DFP is a waste of time. Keep the Cat and resell it, in my case it nearly covered the cost of the delete (2600 delete, got 1800 from the cat).

I'd expect it has a 68RFE tranny, these can be problematic. The underdrive solenoids can develop leaks partially engaging overdrive and roasting clutchpacks. Rebuilds often address these few problematic items. You can also have a shop install the upgrade kit, mine cost 1200. Make sure they measure the solenoid vac prior to installing the kit. If the solenoids are leaking a kit is a waste.

If the body is in good shape these thing hold value well. Mine is near mint and was recently offered 45k for it. I have lost track of how many I know with 600+ on the clock
I stopped in today and it wasnt on the lot. Apparently it hasnt sold because there was an issue with the tranny so they took it to get a new one put in. Not sure if I am interested in it now or not. New tranny may be good but it makes me question what else is wrong, even with their mechanical inspection done on it.
Old 03-17-2024, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox View Post
I stopped in today and it wasnt on the lot. Apparently it hasnt sold because there was an issue with the tranny so they took it to get a new one put in. Not sure if I am interested in it now or not. New tranny may be good but it makes me question what else is wrong, even with their mechanical inspection done on it.
The transmission was the one weak spot on that genration, both diesel and gas. I would not let that put me off buying it. If brakes and front end are good there isn't much else to do on them till you hit 250,000.
Old 03-17-2024, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Might suggest that you call tomorrow and see if you can buy it with the bad tranny and the price adjusted. This way you can get a proper rebuild in there. Some rebuilders put back the OEM crap exactly giving you the same problems in the future.

I'm assuming there is no warranty you'd be getting anyway. The bright side here is that you could get a truck with a new tranny rather than one with 160 on it.

You'll want to have a look at the rest of the inspection report just to make sure the rest of the truck is OK

Best of luck
Old 03-17-2024, 07:19 PM

I have a 2012 3500 with the 6.7 Cummins. It’s been a good truck. I have 187km on it at the moment. Mine had airbags already.

It does not have DEF, that started in 2013. I bought mine in 2020 with 96km on it. I had to do a seal in the rear diff and that has been it.

I am now seeing rust around the front wheel fenders, so will need to address that. Other than that, it has been a good truck and has required far less service than my 2018 F150 did.

SS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 03-17-2024, 07:57 PM

Can’t speak for the 2500’s, but I’ve been running an 11 1500 for about 7 years now, amd it’s been just okay. Constant little (but annoying) electrical things. Apparently 2010-2012 dodge of sourced their electrical components to fiat as a cost savings.
Old 03-17-2024, 08:00 PM

I also have a 2012 3500 6.7 Cummins, been a great truck for me. I have 490 kms on it. I had to do the rear diff, the tipm, the pcm(because the tipm went) and other than that it has been your typical dodge front end and regular maintenance, I have some rust on the front fenders that I should deal with but other than that it’s in great shape. I used mine to tow a work trailer for about 250-300,000 kms so it’s definitely been used…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2024, 10:36 AM

Just bought newer Ford 250 XLT. I need to part with my 2001 Cummins with standard transmission. Never had to touch power train. Never added a liter of oil. If someone has $5000 will probably let it go. It can pull my 12,000 water trailer up very steep hill without breaking a sweat. Never left me on the trapline. PS New Duratrac tires.
Old 03-18-2024, 11:00 AM

Quote:
When most rebuild a tranny they basically just fix what has to be fixed so that tranny will work.
Ive had issues with Edmonton rebuilds. They seem to think if it lasts a year even if you didn't put any miles on it that you got your money's worth. I can't remember what stuff has for warrantee but its not much.
Last transmission I sent to States (Novak) and paid huge money but I think I got a quality transmission.
Old 03-25-2024, 10:00 AM

Guys, no longer need to call on my Dodge Cummins Standard, it went for cash last week to first buyer, never even listed it for sale.