Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-22-2012, 02:46 PM

Although it is easy to target people by where they come from I also know of some locals that would outdo them by miles. I wish they would get caught but they seem to out smart the system.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:29 AM

Default Rap

RAP does work, however there is not enough officers to respond to all the calls, 109 field officers in Alberta in 2010, currently there is 98. There is a competition out so there will be a few more by December after the Academy is over, hopefully enough recruits to cover the retirements......

There was 114 Fish and Wildlife officers in Alberta in 1986, 98 today!

Control Center is 24-7 they pass the calls on to the nearest officer working or the nearest officer on standby, sometimes there is not an officer available within 2-3 hours.

http://westerncanadiangamewarden.com/officers.html

Without the calls and information provided many poachers would not get caught. Keep calling

Q
Old 08-23-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QIsley View Post
RAP does work, however there is not enough officers to respond to all the calls, 109 field officers in Alberta in 2010, currently there is 98. There is a competition out so there will be a few more by December after the Academy is over, hopefully enough recruits to cover the retirements......

There was 114 Fish and Wildlife officers in Alberta in 1986, 98 today!

Control Center is 24-7 they pass the calls on to the nearest officer working or the nearest officer on standby, sometimes there is not an officer available within 2-3 hours.

http://westerncanadiangamewarden.com/officers.html

Without the calls and information provided many poachers would not get caught. Keep calling

Q
I really enjoyed that article when I first read , it really puts things into to perspective as far as protection and enforcement goes . SAD .
Old 08-25-2012, 10:49 PM

Wow! One of the reasons i love this site. I had no idea about the F&W officer shortage. I followed a link to the magazine and bought a subscription. Least I can do a little bit. Thanks for the great posts and information
Old 08-25-2012, 11:03 PM

Default RE

Its does work, They caught 8 foreigners no fishing lic, not following by catch amount limits. there are still people scamming, But they patrol a lot more.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:00 AM

It does! Have the number in my phone contacts. Only called it once, but won't hesitate to do so again. Saw a guy fishing with a bait under a bobber on one line, and casting with another. Hesitated for a bit, but decided to confront him politely, just said "excuse me, but do you know that you can't fish with 2 lines, it's illegal." he responded with: who are you?.... Blah blah... And i've always fished like this, so F off. Made it an Easy decision to call Rap. I walked away, took some pictures and licence plate. F&W took about an hour to show up, guy had been spooked by me and pulled one line in, but F&W still gave me a call back after to thank me, told me they knew he was lying but couldnt do much then, but he'd be on file now. If nobody calls, everyone thinks they can get away with it. Next time they will know he's a repeat offender at least. And I really appreciate the follow up call. Makes you feel like you are actually making a difference. Wish the police would do the same when you report a crime....
Old 08-26-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-71 View Post
Azn and east Eu comments make me sad.
I am Russian born in the Asian part of the country. Perhaps with my heritage I should just give up on following the regulations.
Unless I realize that these comments came from a Canadian and too much beer makes rednecks say stupid things. Eh?

(BTW where do you buy a dynamite in this country? - fishing has been really slow for me lately, I am even willing to go lighter on my vodka for couple hours to resemble my DL photo if it's necessary for the purchase)
I frequently fish with a Russian friend from Kazahkstan, he does not fit any of the stereo types you put forth about yourself and fellow eastern Europeans. I am orginally from Denmark, and I don't fish the Bow from a drift boat. I get Helga to row the viking longboat.
At first Canadian laws seemed way too relaxed compared to Scandinavian fresh water laws. I did not start this thread to make it a racist rant. Other posters have merely pointed out that it is common for newcomers to Canada to follow old country tradition and "forget" Canadian law. My wife also comes from Asia and I understand their mentality of the fish belonging to nature not some licensing system, but the law is the law and if they choose to violate it, I shall report it.