Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-28-2014, 12:19 PM

Default Momma's getting a flashy rig for Christmas but I need some help please!!

My wife loves to shoot. And she's damn good! But she won't hunt.( not a big deal at all). Looking to build her a girly blinged out 223 target rifle before December.

First I need an action and bottom metal as I have specific needs for the barrel and stock. But as the entire build revolves around the action I need this first. Looking to save some $$$ here as she may only shoot 50-100 rounds/year. I have heard of quite a few building very accurate rifle around the axis action. I would like to stay in a stainless if possible. As always the 700 is an option too.

The barrel I have figured out with either action.

The stock is being difficult for me tho. I would like a pink/black or pink/grey laminate thumbhole that will ship to Canada, or even better....can be purchased in Canada.

This will be the girliest rifle anyone I know has ever seen and I am actually excited about the build. I know this sounds corny but I really enjoy the fact that the wife and I can spend some time together with a mutual interest, yet when I need some "me" time I can just go hunting. My kids are starting to take an interest as well although they are pretty small yet. But it gives me hope!

Thanks in advance for any help!
"I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only is a target but as living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life,if I can with regrets as well as joy, with the sure knowledge that natures way of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate then I can bestow."- Fred Bear
Old 07-28-2014, 01:00 PM

The wife will be happy.

Are you going to go for a fluted or spiralled barrel, or bolt?
Leupold custom shop makes scopes with anodized tubes in all kinds of colours.
A top quality well-tooled leather sling would add to the sensory experience.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:19 PM

Spiral fluted with the flutes painted pink to match the stock. Rings will be girly as well. I can't divulge all my secrets. Lol I'm sick of buying her guns and her saying "you're just saying it's for me! You know you're gonna shoot it more!" And her being right! Lol sold them all but her 20ga. There will never be a sling on this one as she will never pack it. She will just shoot along side me while I warm up the barrels on the rest of my arsenal. Lol
"I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only is a target but as living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life,if I can with regrets as well as joy, with the sure knowledge that natures way of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate then I can bestow."- Fred Bear
Old 07-28-2014, 01:22 PM

You better get at it if you want it by Christmas. Sourcing all the parts and finding a competent gunsmith to chamber and assemble can take much longer than planned. I know guys who have been waiting well over a year just to get a barrel, not including finding a gunsmith who doesn't have a year backlog ahead of them.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:38 PM
Banned

have you looked at boyds stocks they have some girly colors
Old 07-28-2014, 05:24 PM

Yeah, I'm pushing savages again. For a target rifle there's nothing wrong with either the savage or the remington. You could probably find a used savage 10 or 16 for the same price as an axis. Stainless as well. Don't know about stocks, but how about pink leather sling blinged out with a bedazzler.

Colin.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:54 PM

http://www.camodipkit.com/patterns-camo.htm

http://www.mydipkit.com/index.html

something to think about... I've always wanted to try one of these. Few different girly patterns to choose from

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 07-28-2014, 06:04 PM

Get an SPS 223 varmint and order a McMillan moulded in pink/black combo.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-28-2014, 06:48 PM

I would stick with the savage numbered actions. They have that floating bolt head that the axis doesn't. This is important unless you plan on doing action work. Benchmark makes savage prefits that are only 12-14 weeks away. Good luck.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:21 PM

[/URL]

This is the color I'm lookin for
Old 07-28-2014, 09:23 PM

[/URL]

This is the style I'm hoping for.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:24 PM

Does that match her favourite lipstick?
Old 07-28-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
Does that match her favourite lipstick?
You were warned that it was going to be girly. Lol she's a farm girl through and through. But, like I said, I'm not pulling the "Babe! I bought this gun for you but I might use it too." Gag any longer. This is hers and only hers. I will post pics when I'm done. If it looks anything like what I've got pictures in my head it's gonna turn some heads for sure! Lol
Old 07-29-2014, 08:17 AM

Except for the "Spiral Fluted" barrel a Savage model 12 BTCSS has everything you said you were looking for. Stainless, comes in 223, 204 and 22-250, longitudinal flutes that you could paint pink, an excellent laminated thumbhole that you could paint pink and if you really want spiral fluted you can order pre-chambered barrels from Mystic precision. It will take 20 minutes to mount and head space the new barrel.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:34 AM

Savage also makes a Lady Hunter stocked model that is suited to ladies.
They also have a custom department that could build your wife a rifle with very cool features - pick and choose from anything they offer.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:47 PM

Got a model 12 223 on the way as well as some stock material. Mr. Galloway will be building/ bedding and shining this thing up for me! Even he's excited about it. Lol
Old 07-30-2014, 06:21 PM

I shoot a Savage 10, Precision Carbine in .223. Nice factory trigger, heavy enough (accustock) for bench work, very accurate with Hornady 55gr. factory ammo (sub MOA) and a one-hole shooter with reloads @ 100 yards if you do your part. You could get one of these, have the stock dipped some girly colors...maybe even get the metal refinished...? I can attest to the accuracy and if you reload, I'd be happy to tell you what works best in mine. 20" barrel too, and while heavy...a nice size for a lady.

As an aside, they make a non-accustock version now that also has rifle sights, called a Savage "Hog Hunter". You could always get one of those for a few hundred less, and get some custom finishing going on it..? I've seen some metal work done in some wacky colors...
Old 07-30-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post
I shoot a Savage 10, Precision Carbine in .223. Nice factory trigger, heavy enough (accustock) for bench work, very accurate with Hornady 55gr. factory ammo (sub MOA) and a one-hole shooter with reloads @ 100 yards if you do your part. You could get one of these, have the stock dipped some girly colors...maybe even get the metal refinished...? I can attest to the accuracy and if you reload, I'd be happy to tell you what works best in mine. 20" barrel too, and while heavy...a nice size for a lady.

As an aside, they make a non-accustock version now that also has rifle sights, called a Savage "Hog Hunter". You could always get one of those for a few hundred less, and get some custom finishing going on it..? I've seen some metal work done in some wacky colors...
I picked up the model 12 for $700 shipped. Can't bock to much at that. Now for glass...... I'm seeing another viper in my future!!
Old 07-31-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupped N Committed View Post
I picked up the model 12 for $700 shipped. Can't bock to much at that. Now for glass...... I'm seeing another viper in my future!!
Glad that suggestion worked out for you. I have been very happy with the accuracy of all of the Savages I have bought and I will bet you will be with this one too. I am sure your wife will appreciate all the work you are going to to make her a very special Christmas gift.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:32 PM

Finally got the rifle and new stock material in the mail and I'm headed to Custom Gunworx tomorrow! Rifle already has a nice tactical handle and aftermarket trigger. (Can't remember brand right now as I deleted all the old emails.) this is gonna be one blinged out rifle. Bob is doing the stock from scratch as I couldn't get the color/style I wanted shipped to Canada, so I ordered a laminate blank from the same place I get my call building blanks. Might build some calls out of the leftovers! He said we'd be done in plenty of time for Christmas, so I can still make the paint shop for my buddy to do a lil airbrushing on the sunshade and paint the flutes/rings/mounts/tactical bolt handle. Pretty stoked!
Old 09-24-2014, 06:15 PM

Good news.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:25 PM

I just love looking at blinged out rigs that are presents for someone, man or woman- I think the thought behind them is as cool as the stuff at times!
Can't wait to see this one!!
Cat
Old 09-24-2014, 07:56 PM

Mr C and C,
You're having too much fun with this project. A fiberglass stock "hydro-dipped" could be the way to go, for the wild color schemes. Scopes can be hydro dipped too. This isn't to discredit the stock making capabilities of BG, in fact I have an F-open stock built by Bob that rides the bags better than anything else I've ever worked with. Here's an example of a couple dipped butt stocks. There's a huge array of hydro-dip colors and patterns available.

11.jpg
Old 09-24-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleJ View Post
Mr C and C,
You're having too much fun with this project. A fiberglass stock "hydro-dipped" could be the way to go, for the wild color schemes. Scopes can be hydro dipped too. This isn't to discredit the stock making capabilities of BG, in fact I have an F-open stock built by Bob that rides the bags better than anything else I've ever worked with. Here's an example of a couple dipped butt stocks. There's a huge array of hydro-dip colors and patterns available.

Attachment 96384
That's is a pretty neat pattern, I like the show of colors and didn't even know you could do that. Is there someone in alberta that does this? I'd like to see other patterns and color schemes.

Good look with your project it will be nice to see it when your done!

Kevin
Old 09-24-2014, 08:18 PM

Kevlak
There's outfits in Red Deer, Edmonton and Calgary that do hydro-dipping. Google it to find out more info. Lots of colors and patterns to choose from. Fairly inexpensive to do and it bonds to plastic and all metals.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:15 PM

Too much fun?
What's that mean?
It's like too much money,
There's no such thing!
It's a girl too pretty,
With too much class
Being too lucky,
A car too fast

No matter what they say I've done,
I ain't never had too much fun!!

Lol. Life truly is a country song! Hahahaha
Old 09-26-2014, 11:21 PM

Hey guys,
Where could I go in the Edmonton/Red Deer area that'd have a decent bipod that isn't a Harris and don't cost an arm and a leg? I'm new to this custom/bench game and can't find much online.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupped N Committed View Post
Hey guys,
Where could I go in the Edmonton/Red Deer area that'd have a decent bipod that isn't a Harris and don't cost an arm and a leg? I'm new to this custom/bench game and can't find much online.
It all depends what style your after. Cabellas probably has cheap if thats what your after.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:42 AM

Versa pod makes a great bipod. Cabela's carries them or you can order them from Brownell's. P and D had some last time I was there but I would call to see if they had any in stock before making the trip. They are a bit more money than a Harris but better built in my experience.

Last edited by Dean2; 09-27-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:20 PM

Ended up picking up a couple different sets of bags to use instead of a bipod for now. Also found a very nice rifle case in the bargain cave for 40% off. Also picked up the scope/rings/bases. We are going to have matching scopes! Lol I couldn't let my wife have a better scope than me! Haha We are both gonna be looking through vortex viper HS 4-16x50 with BDC reticles.