Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-23-2018, 05:57 PM

Default Imperial IVI 32 Special, reloadable brass?

I've got a stash of Imperial IVI manufacture 32 Special 170gr KKSP ammo. I'm wondering about the quality of the brass for reloading once fired. What kind of performance do you folks remember for this brass. I've always considered IVI a lower quality than earlier CIL or Dominion in their day for no good reason actually.
Old 01-23-2018, 06:29 PM

Some searching did turn up a thread and our own historian. Catnthehat's father worked for the different iterations of the company at what seems a senior position. It is an interesting story of a Canadian ammo manufacturing group, once prosperous and world level innovators to a what seems a mediocre manufacturer under IVI. Kinda mirrors the Alberta patch.

Makes me worry about my little stash of Imperial IVI! My Win 94 is a 2MOA rifle on a real good day so probably just fine for me. Also never heard a complaint about the KKSP bullet and hunting success. It was the 303 ammo of choice on the homestead after it was introduced.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:07 PM

The plot thickens, I've two boxes of CIL Imperial in the same configuration. There is no doubt the IVI stuff has the small font headstamp in comparison with the CIL headstamp. Searching has turned up reports that the small font brass is of poorer quality to the large font stuff. The CIL ammo has reference a 1969 patent without detail at least giving a rough date range. The IVI stuff has no date and the lot numbers of bothare undecipherable codes.

This is becoming an attempt to follow the history of this round just for the fun of it.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:51 PM

Personally I do not know much about the 32 special , but I do see it advertised every now and then.
As for IVI brass, if it is all could get i would shoot it if i was going to hunt with it, otherwise would just put it on the shelf.
Being IVI I doubt if it has much collector's value, but I may be wrong.
Cat
Old 01-23-2018, 09:02 PM

Thanks Cat, I'm not much for the collector angle. Some folks would advocate locking away my nice 50s Win 94 to preserve its value. Gonna get sold after I'm dead and not before. My families future doesn't depend on my guns thank goodness. My Handi rifles won't pay the carbon tax!

I sure enjoy your writing. The iron sight stories and your tales of your outstanding custom Ruger #1 303 are my favorites. By the way I'm sure your familiar with the 32 Special in general. I chose it over 30-30 to get the cast friendly 16" twist. A real nice Win 94 with an original steel Lyman 66 installed right out of the showroom I think. Mine predates the drilled and tapped receiver sight factory practice by a few years.

I got 11 boxes and will start burning it up and reloading it carefully. If it has any value to someone I'll trade box for box for Hornady FTX. That should scare away any tire kickers.

It is interesting to search this topic. Some folks rave about any Canadian brass others rave at it.

Last edited by Canuck Bob; 01-23-2018 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:07 PM

Same as all myy guns, I don''t collect them to look at them, i accumulate them too shoot them and trade/sell them as a hobby!
Cat