Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-21-2018, 09:14 AM

Default Coyote Bait Location

Hey guys, these landowners have recently contacted me to pull the beaver out of this section, and have allowed snaring for canine on the NW 1/4. Looking at setting up a bait and snares this weekend, where would you big number trappers place your bait? Contour is gently sloping to the beaver creek mid section.
31925A4A-CB22-421D-B94A-4E1121FED1AB.jpg
Old 11-21-2018, 09:47 AM

I don't do big numbers but I would say that it wont really matter they are all close enough to each other, if they were at any one of those spots they will hear the birds at the other spots and come looking.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:29 AM

I'm not a big numbers coyote trapper either but, I would set up in areas A and B where there are openings with timber and bush around them. Baits in the open, will generally out produced baits in thick cover. Coyotes/wolves want to see, both approaching and while they're on it, if there’s danger from other predators, thus the best sites are in the open and ringed by heavy cover to hang snares in. All you basically need, for the ideal station, is an opening large enough for “large birds of prey” to land directly into, thus no walking in on trails with snares, and coyotes/wolves have the protective cover going to the bait.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:44 AM

Thanks for the replies. So then to tweak the locations you’re saying that West of A out in the middle of the slough or in the cove betweeen B and C would be best.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:04 AM

I din't realize that was a slough around the patch of timber in "A" but IMO will be a great location in the small opening within the timber surrounded by the slough when frozen. In "B" I am referring to the small opening to the right of the"B" with cut line to the west and north, considering the top of the photo is "north".
Old 11-21-2018, 12:12 PM

I like the edge of the creek on the south part of that quarter.
That will likely be the natural travel route through there, but obviously there are other factors to be concerned about.

Bait in an open area - keep snares 30 - 50 yards away. Closer than that and the birds will tear them up.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:09 PM

Put the bait in the spot that is easiest to snare. Because its a small area, all the coyotes in those 1/4's will hit your bait, so look for the best spot for snaring.

I prefer young poplar bush. Young poplar forest will still have lots of under growth to hide snares and allow the coyote to feel secure with things brushing up against his body.

It helps if you find a good 10-20 acre chunk of young poplar forest close to or beside creeks/beaver ponds or slews.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:19 PM

The best location IMO is in area "B" with bait in the small opening and snares back a ways in the timber surrounding the opening as coyotes will be travelling the cut lines to the east and north.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:56 PM
Banned

I look for a little open area along a treeline to back my truck into and drop the bait there. Then I'll set my snares on trails coming into the bait in a semi circle around it. I like lots of bush behind the baitsite to hang snares and can add to them as new trails appear.

I like the locations that I marked because they look like they are small openings in the treeline and there is a good amount of bush behind them. They could be a snarled mess with undergrowth and downed trees for all that I know though.

I'd just drive the treelines and select a spot that's not too grown over and has trees +4" to anchor to. The coyotes will find your bait wherever you put it on that patch of land.

Old 11-22-2018, 12:54 AM

The winds'currents predominantly blow from the NW to the SE in most of Alberta. Setting your bait accordingly so the wind carries the stink to help the downwind yappers find your bait.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-22-2018, 08:54 AM

Thanks for all your input. I appreciate it, hopefully this location pays off big and I can throw some fur into the shed.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:03 AM
Banned

I'd be putting my bait out now and by the weekend you may have some tracks to set your snares on.
Old 11-24-2018, 11:07 PM
AO Sponsor

Yup, do like Davey sez and the kiyutes will show you where to set. Just like Davey sez, where ever you drop bait the coyotes will mass. A few choice sets and your putting up a bunch of fur. Good luck! Have fun!
Old 11-27-2018, 10:27 AM

Id go and see where most of the tracks and main routes are in the snow. Then pre bait in a central location of those few main routes. Then hang snares a week after you pre bait, or a little sooner. But let the dogs tell you where they enter and use the terrain.