Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-26-2009, 08:35 AM

Default When do you need a kicker

I'm thinking about getting a boat this spring (aluminum). I was wondering at what H.P. would you recommend getting a 9.9 kicker.

Depending on which boat, I'm thinking of either a 90 Optimax or a 135 - 150 Verado.

Do you need a kicker for a 90 H.P. or even a 60 H.P. if I find the right deal for a smaller boat.

Thanks
Old 02-26-2009, 12:39 PM

I'm not really speaking from experience, but I would get the kicker regardless of which outboard you choose (Optimax or Verado). I've got a 9.9 kicker on my boat, albeit its a jet and I wouldn't want to see the fuel bill after trolling with the main engine for a weekend, thats where my kicker comes in. I'm also a believer in redundancy, what happens if the main engine goes down? At least you've got a backup to limp home with.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:07 PM

If I was buying a new boat I would get one with the extra battery space and go with electric trolling motor. They are silent,have no smoke and run after sitting all winter with no fuel problems. In this area there are a few smaller lakes here that do not allow gas motos and I am sure the trend will continue.

Last edited by deanmc; 02-26-2009 at 02:07 PM. Reason: forgot to spellcheck
Old 02-26-2009, 03:55 PM

with the new 4 strokes you can troll a lot slower than the old 2 strokes so you would not require a kicker. But if you are going onto any decent sized lakes or out where noone may be around I echo pdfish it is a matter of safety to get you home when you do not want to be stuck. My dad fishes the ocean and 2X he would not have made it in except that he had a kicker even though he had a good main motor. I always have the kicker just because of the people you here about running into trouble with only a paddle. Also an electric only works until the battery is dead.

Good luck on your new toys
Old 02-26-2009, 07:33 PM
Gone Hunting

If you buy a two stroke main engine, dont try trolling with it, least for any amount of time, they are not made for that and you will run into engine issues. Two strokes are built to be run at throttle, they do not like lugging. Besides, depending on what kind of fishing your planning on doing with it, the kicker will be nessesary in alot of situations for boat control. Tough to catch fish if you cant control your boat, and that isnt Bull Sheit either, just ask the bassturds who keep taking other guys money home with them in tournament situations..... The bassturds.....

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 02-26-2009, 09:07 PM

If it is for trolling I would go with a nice big electric bow mount. Like mentioned earlier they are silent and emissions free and with good batteries you can troll all day without having to worry about the batteries dieing.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:35 PM

A kicker is a must for a backup if you intend to get into big waters or rivers. It can secondarily be used for trolling but see npaul's and packhuntr's comments. A 9.9 is also for lakes with a HP restriction. -
Old 02-28-2009, 12:38 PM

Default To kick or not to kick

You can do the math for yourself on this one. Went fish'n for five days with 16ft. Lund 60hp yammy. Trolled all day average about at least 8hrs. and that's not including the fast speed to get to the spot. In the five days we easily went through five to ten gallons a day. The next year out same situation but this time we had a little 6hp. evinrude. Five days, one five gallon jug for the kicker. Great investment. I know have a 17ft Sylvan 150-2stroke yamaha main, 6hp yamaha kicker and a Minnko Bow mount electric. Three batteries and no problems.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:33 PM
Banned

I already have both front and rear electric trolling motors, but I can tell you why I recently bought a kicker -

1. Tough weather conditions - it's invaluable when the wind and waves get high and they simply overpower your electrics. Having a kicker gives you the ultimate in boat control options.

2. Complete versatility - I can now do anyting from lindy rigging to trolling cranks on planer boards with no worries about batteries dying or fouling up the main motor, regardless of weather.

3. This doesn't really apply to me, as trolling with a 200HP Optimax is pretty much impossible, but you save a lot of fuel and hours on your main outboard - both add up in a hurry. All that idling doesn't do the main motor any favours either.

4. Peace of mind. I know my day of fishing isn't shot if I can't charge the batteries or I forget to charge them. You also have the backup motor to get you back to shore or the launch of you have problems with the main motor.

Waxy
Old 02-28-2009, 02:16 PM

Default kicked

Right on WAXY. If that doesn't "KICK' start him hope he has some good paddles and strong arms.