Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-13-2008, 05:57 PM
Eyeswideshut

Default When is it too cold?

I used to fish a lot when I was younger, go out with dad, bring food/snacks to eat,.. and also the thermos of hot chocolate.

Now that I am older and have two small children,.. I realized that we went out fishing when it got to -20, -25 or so. No hut, just open lake and about every 10min go into the truck to warm up,..

WTF is wrong with me today, I can't stand going out in -10 to sweep off my truck, or to let alone take out the garbage. I can't imagine what I would do taking my kids out fishing nowadays

So does weather not affect people any more,.. or am I just a wimp and REALLY need to purchase a fishing hut so I can sit in comfort, warm, drinking hot chocolate with my kids while eating snacks,.. I also have a portable dvd that I can bring along,..

Thoughts
Old 12-13-2008, 06:24 PM

Eyeswideshut I worked 8 hours outside today and my froze my Eyeswideopen. Just a matter of gettin used too....mind over matter. Yup had no desire to go ice fishing after work. Was working up NE of Fort MacKay last week and my buddy fell through the ice we were 14 kilometers from the truck on some of the meanest cutlines known to men. He only went up to his knees but was minus 20 and his feet were soaked. The quad ride back to the truck was brutal for him. He's a tough dude.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com

Last edited by honda450; 12-13-2008 at 06:37 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:26 PM

hey your not alone i can barely stand -5 let alone set on the ice freezing my a## off
Old 12-13-2008, 06:27 PM

the secret is in getting a good tent and a heater...if the weather is sealed out the fishing can be fun...even at -20
Old 12-13-2008, 06:33 PM

I'm also a fair weather ice fisherman now. Even with the hut and heater and expensive winter clothes I will wait till it is warmer than -10 before leaving the comfort of home and the fight channel. I also remember those -30 days fishing with mom and dad and them sending me and my brother out of the car every 5 minutes to clean holes.
Dodger.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:02 PM
Eyeswideshut

The wife won't let me purchase an enclosure till after the 20th, but I was able to buy a couple new ice fishing rods today. Maybe spend some time fishing over the holidays with my days off.

Just hope it warms up,.. suppose to be cold for awhile in this neck of the worods.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:40 PM

Skykomish has it right with the tent heater thing, thats living large. Even if it is minus 30 if you have shelter and a source of heat u r good to go. Especially if your shelter has holes through the ice.

Myself, I find I get used to it after a weekend like this one. I often hike to my spots so layering is a HUGE factor. If you are toughing it out with out shelter or heat you CANNOT sweat. I also am a big user of hot packs. I put them in my gloves, the toes of my boots, and even my toque. I hike with a hand auger so It's important to remove layers prior to drilling the holes. If there is enough snow after I get my lines set I will build my shelter. I make a hill and then dig into it like a quinzey, gets a guy out the wind atleast. Even a wall of snow, ice, backpacks, whathaveyou will make a big difference to get you out the wind. Pack extra socks, gloves, and toque encase they get wet. I love wool, warm when wet. I wear a polyester layer or two then some wool that includes polyester socks with wool over top. Avoid cotton. Windproof and water proof outer latyer is a must, it is also necessary for it to breath though. Extra hot packs, a couple reliable sources of igniting, maybe a fire stick/starter or two, space blanket and candles.

If I had a light ice tent I'd likely take it. But with 3-6 rods, a bucket, bait, food, drink, shovel, auger,and undewater camera packing can get real heavy. When the ice is getting in the 14-16 inch range I start hiking in the power auger, it's not practical to bring the hand auger and not sweat at that point. Sharp blades are a must, I went threw three sets on my hand auger last year. Dull blades will make you sweat more.

To thaw frozen bait throw it in the water, If its frozen it will float. It will build an Ice layer but as it freezez it actually thaws the bait in the middle because as the water freezez it gives off some of its energy (freezing is an exothermic reaction (gives off its heat energy)) oposite of when your wet and when the water evaporates off of you it is endothermic - which removes your heat. Then when you change your bait you have to crush the ice off the baitcicle and you have a nice thawed bait for rigging how ever you please.

If your fishing in the cold you want to be productive. When it's so cold you can't function, you draw the line there. If I cant tie a line or bait a hook even, I quit. I've got all my digits now and It's not something I want to change. Tight lines and be weather aware.

If I ever draw my sword on you, may the good lord strike me dead.

Luck is just an excuse for poor fishing

B.O.G warriors for life!!! Boots On the Ground!!
Old 12-13-2008, 11:02 PM

It takes a few weeks of this cold weather to get your skin thick agian. I know last year - 10 id be fishing in a T shirt and camo hunting bib.but this - 25 or above ill stay home and fish from my X box.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:12 PM

AFAIC, it's too cold to fish when I can't find water for the boat!
Never did like ice fishing, although i have caught quite a few through the ice, I can't get my head around it, neither can the kid!
Cat
Old 12-13-2008, 11:16 PM
Gone Hunting

in january I wait for a day thats -15 or better, although if the weather mans on crack and the day we are going turns colder -20 is my limit for last minute fishing (we dont have a tent, although im going to buy one boxing day I think for this year)

save a tree kill a beaver
Chuck Norris can bump fire a bolt action
"A predators heart knows no remorse. It lives for the hunt, a natural force."
Old 12-14-2008, 08:10 PM

Went out on Friday. No shelter, no 4wd. Got stuck for about 2 hrs (Check weathernetwork, it was about -20 without the wind already). Dug out (thank God for Kumho IZE'n Stud), and hauled all my crap to the hole. Wait a minute, forgot something.

Drilled hole with duller than heckfire hand auger. May as well have been made of margarine. Burned/wore through 6 lousy inches of ice in record 45 minutes flat. Dropped transducer in, sat and waited. Think I saw one fish, but more probably an errant log / my own jiggin' rap.

Maybe next time I wait until the wife gives me permission; they can control the weather when they're mad.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johann_seb View Post

maybe next time i wait until the wife gives me permission; they can control the weather when they're mad.
lol

If I ever draw my sword on you, may the good lord strike me dead.

Luck is just an excuse for poor fishing

B.O.G warriors for life!!! Boots On the Ground!!
Old 12-14-2008, 09:00 PM
Eyeswideshut

Quote:
Originally Posted by johann_seb View Post
Went out on Friday. No shelter, no 4wd. Got stuck for about 2 hrs (Check weathernetwork, it was about -20 without the wind already). Dug out (thank God for Kumho IZE'n Stud), and hauled all my crap to the hole. Wait a minute, forgot something.

Drilled hole with duller than heckfire hand auger. May as well have been made of margarine. Burned/wore through 6 lousy inches of ice in record 45 minutes flat. Dropped transducer in, sat and waited. Think I saw one fish, but more probably an errant log / my own jiggin' rap.

Maybe next time I wait until the wife gives me permission; they can control the weather when they're mad.
Where did you head out to?

I got permission to buy a Mr.Heater from Peavy Mart today, they were $99, reg $130, don't know if it was a good deal or not but it was the 8000btu model. Now I just have to get my tent, and I have a place to keep warm and the little ones won't have to run in and out of the truck all the time,.. even though they will probably like the truck better.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:43 PM
TundraBuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeswideshut View Post
Where did you head out to?

I got permission to buy a Mr.Heater from Peavy Mart today, they were $99, reg $130, don't know if it was a good deal or not but it was the 8000btu model. Now I just have to get my tent, and I have a place to keep warm and the little ones won't have to run in and out of the truck all the time,.. even though they will probably like the truck better.
You got a good deal there.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:26 AM

Default cold

Some of my best days on the ice have been below -20.

And the bonus? No one parking right beside your hole or noisy snomobiles zipping past. When your in a dark tent those snowmobiles can be a little un-nerving, you never know if they're heading right for you or not.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:14 AM

Was out last Saturday. Temp was minus 27 with gusty winds. That puts the outside chill temp around minus 38-39ish.
Forgiving the fact that I got stuck for about 90mins, it was actually a really good day. First day using my new Ice Cube tent. Inside the tent I was nice and comfortable. I could even take off the hat and gloves. I was very very impressed with it. I used to not go if temps were below minus 32. Now I'm set for whatever.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:03 AM
Banned

-30 below in a t shirt with my ice cube and kerosene heater is no probs.