Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: Do You Support A Proposed Fishing Regulation Change For Upper and Lower Kananaskis Lakes?
Yes 94 68.12%
No 27 19.57%
Don't Care 17 12.32%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-14-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Gezz guy. I am truly sorry to hear it. I hope you beat the crap out of the disease with the same strength and conviction you often post with. I have lost too many friends and family.

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Sun

P.S. If you want to bury the hatchet and get away without going far...PM me and I will get you out for some perch if you are up to it...no political talk...just sittin' and fishin'
thanks Sun ...appreciate it.
there would be no fun in that....peeps would pay to see you and me in cage match in the middle of the lake....lol
cheers and thanks again
Old 01-14-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
thanks Sun ...appreciate it.
there would be no fun in that....peeps would pay to see you and me in cage match in the middle of the lake....lol
cheers and thanks again
LOL... NO problem. We can take bets as to who will win...then take the money and donate it to make a wish. My niece was fortunate enough to benefit...in an unfortunate place to be in before passing.
Old 01-14-2011, 04:46 PM

you guys do the cage match, i'll catch dem perch, lol.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtoad View Post
For those people against changing regs, not only in Kananaskis but also in designating many more lakes as quality fisheries, have a look at this video of the Manitoba Parkland. If you don't want to watch the whole thing, at least watch the part at 16:40 where the biologist talks about what their plan was for creating such a great fishery.

http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/ca...451838pz8TAfcK
Bigtoad, Did you actually watch this video and understand it? Because I did and the sign with "Must Release All Trout" really stood out to me at the 16:40 mark.

I decided to visit the website at http://www.flippr.ca/mainpage.htm and I learned allot about the program. First of all, you'll find this in the top right corner on the homepage: "Welcome to the FLIPPR Web - World Class Trout Fishery in Manitoba's Parkland". 'Nuff said.

Then I clicked on "The Lakes" to check what the regs were for the lakes that they were fishing in: http://www.flippr.ca/the_lakes/the_lakes.htm

Persse Lake

Persse Lake will be fully developed during 2010. Currently it has a road, parking lot, launch area and hydro right of way. An aerator building is on site and equipment ready for installation after ice out 2010. It will be stocked with rainbow and/or brown trout in 2010. It will have special trophy regulations, 1 fish allowed under 18 inches(45cm). All fish over 18 inches (45cm) must be released to maintain a stock of huge trout indefinitely.

Remember to pack your camera!

Twin Lakes

Regulations:
Artificial Lures only
Electric Motors only
All Trout Must be Released

I might not be the sharpest pencil in the box but it sounds to me like one lake is a no catch and the other promotes releasing larger spawning sized fish and keeping one smaller eating sized one. Jeez, what a novel concept! Now where have I heard that point before?

So this is what you envision happening with Upper and Lower Kannanaskis Lakes!!!! Put a zero fish limit on one lake and on the other lake, instead of releasing the +20" spawning sized trout like FLIPPR, make the regs read so that those are the only size that you can keep!!!!

Like I said several times earlier, you guys down south can F'up your fishery all that you want but don't start bringing that sh*t north of Red Deer.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:17 AM

The one thing that is different is that flippr is creating trophy fisheries, this petition is for a quality fishery, two different ideas. The Bow is managed as a trophy fishery, keep one under 12" the rest go back. A quality fishery is one of delayed harvest until the fish get to a larger size.

Excellent video tho!!
Old 01-15-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Bigtoad, Did you actually watch this video and understand it? Because I did and the sign with "Must Release All Trout" really stood out to me at the 16:40 mark.
Well HunterDave, at least you took the time to watch it, which I appreciate. I believe the biologist was standing at one of the lakes with strictly catch and release regs. I also believe that the strictly C&R regs are for the lakes with Tiger trout which are as aggressive as hell and would quickly be fished out (not unlike our bull trout regs here). Most other lakes, I believe, are the keep 1 under 18".

Quote:
Originally Posted by I decided to visit the website at [url
http://www.flippr.ca/mainpage.htm[/url] and I learned allot about the program. First of all, you'll find this in the top right corner on the homepage: "Welcome to the FLIPPR Web - World Class Trout Fishery in Manitoba's Parkland". 'Nuff said. :rolleyes
I'm not sure what your problem is about that quote??? Phil Rowley, who has fished all over North America, said the Manitoba Parkland, in his opinion, was the best stillwater trout fishery in all of North America. I would think he knows what he's talking about. Maybe you know more, but I doubt it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Then I clicked on "The Lakes" to check what the regs were for the lakes that they were fishing in: [url
http://www.flippr.ca/the_lakes/the_lakes.htm[/url]

Persse Lake

Persse Lake will be fully developed during 2010. Currently it has a road, parking lot, launch area and hydro right of way. An aerator building is on site and equipment ready for installation after ice out 2010. It will be stocked with rainbow and/or brown trout in 2010. It will have special trophy regulations, 1 fish allowed under 18 inches(45cm). All fish over 18 inches (45cm) must be released to maintain a stock of huge trout indefinitely.

Remember to pack your camera!

Twin Lakes

Regulations:
Artificial Lures only
Electric Motors only
All Trout Must be Released

I might not be the sharpest pencil in the box but it sounds to me like one lake is a no catch and the other promotes releasing larger spawning sized fish and keeping one smaller eating sized one. Jeez, what a novel concept! Now where have I heard that point before?
Again, the strictly C&R, I believe, is mostly on Tiger trout lakes, but so what if there are a few C&R lakes? Did you see the size of those tanks! By allowing one under 18, you can still harvest some fish, but you don't let the big ones "get away" so to speak. Seems like a good compromise to me: you still get to keep a good pan-sized fish but there are also lots of big fish to catch, kiss, and release.

Quote:
So this is what you envision happening with Upper and Lower Kannanaskis Lakes!!!! Put a zero fish limit on one lake and on the other lake, instead of releasing the +20" spawning sized trout like FLIPPR, make the regs read so that those are the only size that you can keep!
Nope, I think you've missed my point. I put the video up to show what stricter regs could achieve, not only in K lakes but in other lakes in Alberta as well.

I'm not naive enough to think that the K lakes would become strictly C&R. Ideally, I would prefer the suggested proposal was to release ALL fish under 18 in the K lakes like they are doing in many of the lakes run by FLIPPR. However, there are many people that feel the need to keep the lunkers when they catch them (Even though, in this digital age, you could easily take pics and measurements and still have the fish mounted if you want). Perhaps they are trying to compensate for something??? I don't get it? I strongly believe that we need to release ALL big fish back to spawn or to be caught again.

But I digress; even though the proposed reg changes that we are talking about here aren't what I would prefer for the K lakes (which would be keep 1 under 18" or 20") I do think the delayed harvest is a good idea for any lake and is a step in the right direction. It's better than what is currently there, by a landslide. That is why you'll find my signature on the petition.

Quote:
Like I said several times earlier, you guys down south can F'up your fishery all that you want but don't start bringing that sh*t north of Red Deer.
Hey, I'm North of Red Deer and I'll do whatever I can to bring as much of this sh*t up here as I can.

And what exactly is "that sh*t" anyway? You watched the video so I'm assuming you saw the size of the fish? I had friends go with Phil Rowley and the Red Deer Fly Tying club to the Manitoba Parkland this past fall and it was the best fishing they had ever experienced. They were catching 26" tiger trout on waterboatmen on the surface. They had double headers and caught fish until their arms were sore. Some of the lakes were harder to fish than others but they caught lots of fish and the average size was well over 18". How is that sh*t? Or do you mean HOLY SH*T, look at this monster!!! In that case, I totally agree with you.

HunterDave, you prefer catching 14" stockers over 26" monsters? Maybe you're just used to handling small things, but I don't understand your logic AT ALL! You want to keep all of the trout lakes in AB to be a limit of 5 and yet still think you'll find a fish over 20"? That's going really well so far.

I understand if you don't like the proposal because of the keeping of some spawning fish over 20", but it's definitely better than what is currently in place; isn't it? Better to do something constructive than bitch and complain about any recommended change and not get anywhere. At least that's my logic...

Cheers.

Last edited by Bigtoad; 01-15-2011 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:02 AM

Lower Kan was never stocked with rainbows or cutts expecting them to establish a self-sustaining population. For many years no one even knew there was any spawning going on at all in the spring. In the '80s huge numbers of rainbows were dumped in on a put and take basis. Today we have a very small number of adults spawning in less than optimal conditions. Recruitment of young back to the population is marginal. These are not wild fish that require the same protection as the Bull trout. While the concern over keeping "spawner sized" fish does have some merit, the regulations have always allowed folks to keep "spawner sized" fish. New regulations are not changing this fact. In the case of Lower Kan, natural reproduction will never occur at a level to maintain a significant rainbow population. Regulation changes to protect smaller fish will allow a greater percentage of fish to escape to a size over 20" and provide many more fish under 20" to offer entertainment to the masses.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:44 PM

a change for the better
Old 12-01-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGSH View Post
a change for the better
you are the king of commenting on dead threads. lol
Old 12-01-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Foss View Post
you are the king of commenting on dead threads. lol
There are just so many to read, going to take months to get through all these threads, i like this thread for the K lakes, i hope they went through with the new regs
Old 12-01-2011, 05:04 PM

oops, didn't realize how old this thread was. Amazingly the idea STILL sucks though. LOL
Old 12-02-2011, 01:14 PM

New Regs kick in starting April