Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-23-2012, 09:40 PM

Default Looking for upland hunting info

Hi I am looking for some upland hunting info as I am contemplating a hunting trip to Alberta. I left Alberta when I graduated high school in 1992 and since then have become an avid upland hunter 2 dogs etc...my adventures usually cover the Dakotas and Kansas. I understand there is considerable public hunting land in Alberta but does much of it have good bird hunting habitat? Any specific areas one would suggest? Any assistance is appreciated I would love to make it Alberta this fall.

Thanks!
Old 05-23-2012, 10:12 PM

we have some good bird hunting but as for wild birds were having a really tough time, You can come down and sign up for the taber pheasant festival which is a blast though!!
Old 05-23-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambling View Post
Hi I am looking for some upland hunting info as I am contemplating a hunting trip to Alberta. I left Alberta when I graduated high school in 1992 and since then have become an avid upland hunter 2 dogs etc...my adventures usually cover the Dakotas and Kansas. I understand there is considerable public hunting land in Alberta but does much of it have good bird hunting habitat? Any specific areas one would suggest? Any assistance is appreciated I would love to make it Alberta this fall.

Thanks!
Got 21 myself last year and in on another 5 one day with my middle boy and friends.. 12 ruffle grouse..9 spruce grouse.. i do the bush roads out here in the morning till noonish driving.. and use a Rem 597 22 LR scoped.. but if you walked in spots you would get afew i have limited out with my Black Lab /Great Dane cross afew times.. and they a mmmmm good with fresh buns!!!!

David
Old 05-23-2012, 10:27 PM

Theres plenty of wild bird hunting in Southern Alberta, maybe not for wild Roosters, but Huns and Sharpies are doing well where the proper habitat exists.

Buy a few County Land Ownership Maps for the area you are interested in and go hard. Talk to lots of land owners that own a ton of property. Often times they will steer you in the right direction for where the birds are usually hanging out.

Then again if your gonna come all the way to Alberta to hunt upland....why not just stay in Montana and get into A LOT more birds?

Good luck.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:48 AM

Never drive past the Dakota's if your looking for Roosters.

Alberta is not the place for Pheasant hunting. There is very little public land for it and the birds are few and competition for them fierce.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:44 PM

Alberta has decent number of waterfowl but for upland don't go past Montana unless you are coming here for another reason and want to try some shotgunning while you're here.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:21 PM

Smile Its great!

Your dogs will love it! The Taber festival is wonderful. We shot over 60 roosters over the wonder dog last year and I don't know how many ducks.

As you know when you have a good dog, come fall you have many, many friends!

There are lots of huns this spring but who knows come fall, so far so good.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:48 PM

Depending on the year, the foothills can have good Ruffed
grouse hunting. The "300" zones are bow only for big game until October 25th when rifle season opens (think blaze orange vests for the dogs)
So I suggest before that for grouse.

Hungarian (Grey) partridge (5 day (15 possession) - numbers will be decent this year - open mid September till Nov. 31st. Sharptailed grouse (5(15))are open for the month of October. Pheasant (2(6)) open Oct 15 till November 31.

Pheasant took a huge hit in the south 2 winters ago and during a late spring storm. However, wild birds have been doing okay in areas of decent habitat. There will be no (or very limited) release of birds this fall.

The south has very limited public lands in Pheasant / Hun / Sharptail country. Permission is usually easy to secure if you don't want to drive all over their fields.

Come on up.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:16 PM

Default good points

Well sneeze laid it out pheasants are not doing well hopefully another mild winter or two and they will be good, stay in montana if your looking for them. Other wise we do have quite a few other species that are doing quite well. I limited out on a daily limit of grouse last year for the first time in prob 6-9 years. Huns usually do pretty good from what Iv seen and I really cant wait to get my hunt on. Geese also start in sept. I did that for the first time last season and that is a MAJOR blast its alot of fun and you get some great jerky out of it.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:23 PM

Default Thanks

I appreciate the feedback from everyone. The fall can't get here fast enough.