Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-27-2009, 08:18 AM

[QUOTE=mulecrazy;293032]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Octane~ View Post

so are you blaming the age of your players on their standings. I will tell you this, It plays a lot less into it than you think. Looking at the avg age list is interesting. Oilers are 8th youngest. younger teams are: chi, clb, nyr, min. slightly older by about 0.5years is vancouver and boston. There is more too it then age.
You are 100% correct!! You need to have the right group of players to play the system that the coach has in place. Why build your team around offensive players if you are not going to play an offensive system? If the current players on any roster do not buy in to the system that is in place you are asking for trouble. When this happens you have 3 options:
1. Change the coach (look at Pittsburgh this year)
2. Coach changes the system (look at Ruff in Buffalo)
3. Change the players (look at Chicago)

Any doubters can just ask Ales Hemsky or read his comments if you prefer!
Old 03-27-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Octane~ View Post
I'll tell what I know...
You crack me up man.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:43 AM

Excellent points goober.

Octane - I do give you lots of credit for sticking with your team. I agree that it is way too early to count them out. It's ridiculous how many people call into Team 1260 and 630 CHED to whine and vent about how horrible the team is. The Oil have a tough road ahead of them but they are by no means out of the race.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:01 AM

A Flames fan calling the Oilers underacheivers??? Now that is to laugh. Flames have definitely not lit anything up in their "storied" history in the NHL. Last 3 years in the playoffs, all of them they were out in the first round. That is success? Think the Flames are bigger underacheivers than the Oilers as you Flames fans think you have all these superstars but they never do anything come playoffs. Oilers have been to the final since Calgary was last there.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
A Flames fan calling the Oilers underacheivers??? Now that is to laugh. Flames have definitely not lit anything up in their "storied" history in the NHL. Last 3 years in the playoffs, all of them they were out in the first round. That is success? Think the Flames are bigger underacheivers than the Oilers as you Flames fans think you have all these superstars but they never do anything come playoffs. Oilers have been to the final since Calgary was last there.
There is no doubt in my mind that in the post season we have underacheived a couple times. We got beat by a better san jose team last year. We should have beat the ducks a couple years ago but choked. So what if you made the finals the year after us. what have you done since? missed the playoffs and UNDERACHEIVED all season. The flames have definetly yet to find consistency and have at times underacheived. At least we are still in 3rd and will likely make the playoffs. I remember one of the sportsnet analysts saying prior to last nights oilers game, "if the oilers lose to the coyotes they do not deserve to make the playoffs".
Old 03-27-2009, 10:34 AM

AH Flames fans you just have to wonder........

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Police say a passionate hockey fan made physical threats against the Columbus Blue Jackets in a series of phone calls to the team's arena during a game.

Columbus Police Sgt. Rick Weiner says 52-year-old Peter Stenzel was arrested Thursday and charged with inducing panic for threatening physical harm against the team during their win over the Calgary Flames.

Weiner says police traced the phone calls to Stenzel's Columbus home, where they found him wearing a Flames T-shirt. Police would not say if specific players were targeted or what the threats entailed.

Stenzel was being held at the Franklin County Jail pending a Saturday court hearing.

Blue Jackets spokesman Todd Sharrock says the team will not comment on security matters.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:02 PM

mulecrazy, first off I am not an Oilers fan. Secondly, regular season means nothing, playoffs is where the chaf is sorted from the wheat so to speak and the Flames tend to be in the chaf more than in the wheat!
Old 03-27-2009, 12:07 PM

[QUOTE=~Octane~;292958]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear416 View Post

You spend too much time on message boards man. Get out in public or to Rexall (where people who actually care enough about their team to go to their games) and talk to Oiler fans...the bulk of fans that post are against MacT...I'm not just talking here, but on the Oilers boards as well. Why? Because they dont come on to support, only to complain. There are some great fans on here like Kannon that have their opinions on MacT ( I think he wants him gone) and thats fine! But dont say the 'bulk' because your completely out to lunch. Thats whats hilarious.

An example....ever listin to Overtime Openline on 630 Ched? I guess not you may not have it down there, but on nights we lose its a barage (spelling?) of calls complaining, on nights we win it's nearly silent. Sad but true. Oiler fans on average are a pretty ignorant group compared to other teams, but with that said, "most die hard oiler fans are against MacT" is false.

Anyway dont get mad, its just a discussion. Chill.

You have to try harder then that to get me mad my friend I have been to many games as well as playing hockey since I was young...I have lived in Northern Alberta for almost 20 years and 99 % of my friends and people I work with are Oiler Fans so don't tell me that all my opinioned are based on what people post here.lol As stated in Polls on whether Mac T should stay or go that Edmontonians were 100% part off you are blatantly wrong and I am right..so just admit it.......

We agree on one thing and that is that the Managment are just as much to blame.Kevin Lowe is a terrible GM and has proved it time and time again.Mac T still has to go though.The way he handles the young kids are wrong,the way he has handled his goalies in the past is wrong,the players have no fear or respect for him anymore etc etc etc..the list can go on and on..

In saying that I hope they sign them all to a 10 years contract..
Old 03-27-2009, 12:29 PM

Brwonbear for a guy who knows so much about hockey it amazes me to see you think Kevin Lowe is the GM of the Oilers. Think the GM's name is Steve Tambellini, Lowe is the President.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Brwonbear for a guy who knows so much about hockey it amazes me to see you think Kevin Lowe is the GM of the Oilers. Think the GM's name is Steve Tambellini, Lowe is the President.
Sorry John..I was thinking in past years lol I dont know much about Steve Tambellini so I cant say to much about him.A lot of the problems the Oilers are in today is because of Lowe's Gming so that is why he always comes to mind...

I never claimed to know a lot about hockey either...I just have a big mouth Hunting is my passion...hockey is secondary...
Old 03-27-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
mulecrazy, first off I am not an Oilers fan. Secondly, regular season means nothing, playoffs is where the chaf is sorted from the wheat so to speak and the Flames tend to be in the chaf more than in the wheat!
you do realize that I said they underacheived right? Not sure what the point of your post was. oh well, At least were still playing hockey mid april while the oilers hold their annual farewell golf tourney
Old 03-27-2009, 02:23 PM

As some has stated in here, it is time to rid ourselves of the "Boys On The Bus" mentality and do what's right for our team. I am so sick of the constant stress of coming down to the last game whether we will make the play-offs or not. We are a better team than our record shows, and our less than steller showings should be falling on the head of the coaching staff and GM etc.

Octane WTF are you talking about that "Pro players don't need to be motivated". Sure they need to be accountable for their play, but the coaching staff needs to be JUST AS accountable for keeping the team positive and motivated to get them ready for game time. One needs the other and that goes for every team in every sport.

BH

Old 03-27-2009, 04:23 PM

Watched MacT being interviewed right after the last loss. He just looked like a deer in the headlights... no idea what happened, no fire. Just looked beat and confused, exhausted. I think he' a real nice guy but he's had his chance. Time to move on. And this isn't looking at just the past 7 games, or 7 months, it's looking at the last 7 years of Oiler mediocrity. They aren't a horrible team, they just aren't getting any better. Like the saying goes "The enemy of Great is Good", and they are rarely even good. Standing pat doesn't cut it.
Old 03-27-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodHound70 View Post

Octane WTF are you talking about that "Pro players don't need to be motivated". BH
Agreed. Everyone needs to be motivated at one time or another. We are all "pro's" at our own jobs, and sometimes the boss needs to apply a pat on the back, some direction, an order, or a kick in the butt. Any good boss knows that.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:20 PM

Ummmm Okie not to nit pik but I believe that you have the quote backwards and as such is out of context here.... I believe the quote is " The enemy of Good is Great" refering to sometimes people wait to act until everything is great and that time may not come when good was enough.....ex waiting for the Bull of a lifetime when the 4x4 was good....
Old 03-27-2009, 09:30 PM

Well The Nucks are winning and the oil..so it isnt going to be near as good of night as last night
Old 03-27-2009, 09:34 PM

I don't know man. I think it's pretty good night. Pretty good indeed.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:36 PM

Seriously though...that was a pretty easy game for the Canucks. The Avs are in rough shape right now.

The Oil are looking pretty good in their game but there is still time. We'll see what happens.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt_and_fish View Post
I don't know man. I think it's pretty good night. Pretty good indeed.
x2 Team came out with some determination in the 2nd and 3rd...just outclassed em. The Oil sure are lucky Giguere can't stop a beachball...outshot 3-1.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dss44 View Post
x2 Team came out with some determination in the 2nd and 3rd...just outclassed em. The Oil sure are lucky Giguere can't stop a beachball...outshot 3-1.
Yeah - I think he was pulled in the first 2 minutes of the 1st period. I missed what happened after that but apparently they put him back in later and then took him out again.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:51 PM

Just saying if any of you are ever in Ottawa...let me know...I always enjoy having a drink or two with inferior NHL team's fans to rub it in a lil hahaha
Old 03-27-2009, 10:47 PM

victory is ours
Old 03-27-2009, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
victory is ours

lol Ya the Oil looked good out there
Old 03-27-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear416 View Post
lol Ya the Oil looked good out there
We compete, we try hard , judging from all the Flames forums that concept is foreign to your team.......
Old 03-27-2009, 11:27 PM

I don't know how much longer Roli will last...he is old to begin with, and almost nightly it seems he is facing 40+ shots...54 tonight!!! Come on...against Detroit or SJ, you are looking at giving up 5+ goals letting up that many shots...if you do make it...bye bye in the 1st round...
Old 03-27-2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dss44 View Post
I don't know how much longer Roli will last...he is old to begin with, and almost nightly it seems he is facing 40+ shots...54 tonight!!! Come on...against Detroit or SJ, you are looking at giving up 5+ goals letting up that many shots...if you do make it...bye bye in the 1st round...
Yes well we have to get to the playoffs first then anything can happen....'06

at least we have been deep into the playoffs recently......
Old 03-27-2009, 11:36 PM

Good win tonight.

I never liked Giggy until this year. Poor bugger lost his Dad recently who was a major mentor to him, and at least one of his young kids is very seriously ill. I get distracted just thinking about what he is going through, let alone 'minding an NHL game! My thoughts are with him.............

Tree
Old 03-27-2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Yes well we have to get to the playoffs first then anything can happen....'06

at least we have been deep into the playoffs recently......
Well I was routing for Ed to get in the playoffs (rather have someone easy to defeat in a 7 game series like them rather than the Ducks), but after that comment....GO everyone else lol jk
Old 03-28-2009, 09:14 AM

GO FLAMES GO

(tonite only as I just puked a bit in my mouth writing this)

Your team always craps the bed when the Oil need some help and I really expect you guys to lose to the Wild tonite
Old 03-28-2009, 10:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
GO FLAMES GO

(tonite only as I just puked a bit in my mouth writing this)

Your team always craps the bed when the Oil need some help and I really expect you guys to lose to the Wild tonite
Kanon.. I have been looking for a new signature.. Thank you!!

I knew you would come around. Where would you like the Jersey sent? And can I get you the direct telephone # to the Wild's locker room. Perhaps if you throw some threats around you can get them off their game
PS just dont use call display

Jamie