Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-07-2018, 08:27 PM

Default Well I am all for boycotting AHEIA and ACA if possible now!

So now we have hunting groups fighting their own to shut down hunting lol No more spears in Alberta I guess. Not that it changes the way I hunt. I don't ever plan on using one but to take others right away to use one sure ticks me off. Anyone involved in these groups can give their heads a shake!

"In an interview with Postmedia, Environment Minister Shannon Phillips said the change is a result of extensive consultations with hunting associations, the Alberta Conservation Association and the Alberta Hunter Education Instructors’ Association."

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/poli...nting-big-game

Last edited by nube; 02-07-2018 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:37 PM
Banned

Well you can do that by not buying a hunting licence
Old 02-07-2018, 08:47 PM

AHEIA administers all instructors for the CFSC, and CRFSC, they also administer the Hunter Ed training in Alberta, guess what it’s mandated through law that if you want to hunt with a firearm in Alberta, your pretty much stuck dealing with them. So pretty hard to boycott them.

ACA gets levies from all hunting and angling licence sales in Alberta. Pretty hard to boycott them.

This could be an election issue I guess where these two orgs have shown they are willing to meddle in contentious subjects, and therefore should loose their monopoly on their areas of control. Other than that maybe don’t buy raffle tickets they might offer up..... I dunno pretty tough row to till I’d say.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-07-2018, 08:54 PM

Is it possible to hunt legally and not support those groups haaha..
Old 02-07-2018, 09:02 PM

I’m an instructor with aheia And I heard nothing about this whole thing, I’m guessing they talked to 1or 2 people from the organization who happened to agree with the position. ACA don’t know what they do really so can’t really speak to that
Old 02-07-2018, 11:13 PM

Default Spears

Ms Phillips says hunting groups (AHEIA and ACA to name 2)were consulted she didn't say they supported the changes.
This is similar to the consultation we are seeing on changes to the Fishing Regulations. Ensure you ask the questions that will give you the answers you want and call it consultation.

Phil
Old 02-08-2018, 01:37 PM

I think AHEIA is the best thing that has happened to Alberta hunters and firearm owners. I will not boycott them.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
I think AHEIA is the best thing that has happened to Alberta hunters and firearm owners. I will not boycott them.
I agree.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
So now we have hunting groups fighting their own to shut down hunting lol No more spears in Alberta I guess. Not that it changes the way I hunt. I don't ever plan on using one but to take others right away to use one sure ticks me off. Anyone involved in these groups can give their heads a shake!

"In an interview with Postmedia, Environment Minister Shannon Phillips said the change is a result of extensive consultations with hunting associations, the Alberta Conservation Association and the Alberta Hunter Education Instructors’ Association."

You would be better off working to educate hunters about better social media etiquette.

This whole issue is as a result of a yahoo who posted questionable video that was available to the antis. Cue the media firestorm. Talking to other hunters, you couldn't get a group of 5 to come to a concenus regarding that video. So, given that, how do you think we hunters could win the PR war with the antis? We can't even agree about spear hunting.

The Minister was on the record immediately after the video release saying she was going to change the law so that spear hunting was outlawed. So what if the Journal reported that she consulted with AHEIA or the ACA? Maybe she only had coffee with them and that was the extent of the "consultation".

Do you really trust the NDP? I don't. Given their track record in other jurisdictions, I think we are lucky she stopped at banning spears!

As for you joining a club, maybe you should. It could be more productive than flying off the cuff and urging non-boycottable boycotts.

Sometimes it is better to write something, walk away from the keyboard and come back later, read your post again. We would all probably hit delete a lot more often, if we did that.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:18 PM

Not to take awY from your points on social media the anti spear band wagon was started long before that video was ever taken, even before the NDP took power. It was started by a fellow hunter. That video was nothing more than a coup de grace for spears and atlatls.

What that videp did show was that it could be done. Antis will be scouring all of social media to get that one video that will drivw the nail in the coffin of all hunting.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:36 PM

Gotta say I’m in agreement with CF8889 and Bub, Post #64.
I cannot support all types of hunting methods and in any state or country just because I’m a hunter.
Just because it will poke a hole we need to band together and support it ?
They drew the line on the spear, so be it.

TBark
Old 02-11-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
Gotta say I’m in agreement with CF8889 and Bub, Post #64.
I cannot support all types of hunting methods and in any state or country just because I’m a hunter.
Just because it will poke a hole we need to band together and support it ?
They drew the line on the spear, so be it.

TBark
I do not wish to tell anyone what to support or not. I will not give support to spear hunting.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:05 PM

To me there is a huge difference between an individual supporting spear hunting or banning spear hunting. These 2 groups are directly responsible for new hunters and and preserving hunting opportunity. They should not of supported the loss of any hunting.

All of the arguments against a spear hold true to traditional archery in the face of compound bows. Compound bows face the same deficiencies in the face of crossbows. Crossbows bow down to rifles. If these groups are going to dupport this ban than how can they support anything?
Old 02-11-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post
To me there is a huge difference between an individual supporting spear hunting or banning spear hunting. These 2 groups are directly responsible for new hunters and and preserving hunting opportunity. They should not of supported the loss of any hunting.

All of the arguments against a spear hold true to traditional archery in the face of compound bows. Compound bows face the same deficiencies in the face of crossbows. Crossbows bow down to rifles. If these groups are going to dupport this ban than how can they support anything?
Exactly!!!!!
Old 02-10-2018, 11:36 AM

Mmm rotten beaver blood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2018, 12:10 PM
Banned

Boycott? Not much of a boycotter myself but I do refuse to buy a subscription to wild tv. I think wild tv is a plague for the hunting community.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:19 PM

I’m sure I could see drunken idiots all over you tube. Even injuring themselves and others. Do you think we will see a ban on alcohol? That is almost laughable to most. But what in the world is the difference?

-Billy Molls
Old 02-10-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I’m sure I could see drunken idiots all over you tube. Even injuring themselves and others. Do you think we will see a ban on alcohol? That is almost laughable to most. But what in the world is the difference?
If the video showed a drunk guy guy jumping in to his car and crashing it into a crowd of people would it still be ok?

The difference is having a drink and doing somthing stupid isn't synonymous with ethically killing something
Old 02-10-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianEh View Post
If the video showed a drunk guy guy jumping in to his car and crashing it into a crowd of people would it still be ok?

The difference is having a drink and doing somthing stupid isn't synonymous with ethically killing something
Sure it is. The difference is you like to drink.

And the guy wasn’t jumping into a crowd of people with a spear.

-Billy Molls

Last edited by Pathfinder76; 02-10-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post

Hunters vs Hunters. I'll say... Maybe, instead of banning spears we could have simply given them a Special Season .. like late season Elk or Archery only. That would be a similar format that the Bow Hunters and their Associations use to lobby against, and alienate , those other Archers choose to have X-Bows included in Archery season

As I see it , for the very same reasons that resulted in the elimination of Spears as a hunting tool in Alberta , those same reasons provide plenty of support for the inclusion of CrossBows in the Archery season. As indicated many times by the bowhunters , including those on this forum who support Spear hunting, they want X-Bows excluded from the Archery Only fraternity due to them being too powerful, too simple to use and much more efficient than a Compound Bow etc,etc..

Any chance there might be a double standard at work amongst Alberta's hunters?

Bob Loblaw
Old 02-14-2018, 05:01 PM

I think this thread has had some articulate points in favour of spear hunting, but if AHEIA came out with a public statement that ethics had no place in hunting and we should just let people do whatever they want because it is their right... well this would end hunting.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-14-2018, 05:35 PM

I have not seen the word "right' applied to hunting except on a few
occasions by those who do not know it is a priviledge .. not a right, in Canada. Indigenous people are the only ones with hunting rights in this Country.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:39 PM

People are forgetting that it was and is hunters, fishermen and other outdoorsmen that started implementing seasons, limits, protected species and protected areas NOT the Green Party, PETA or some other outside organisations that are concerned about Bambi.

Organizations like Ducks Unlimited, Delta Waterfowl, Trout Unlimited, Pheasants Forever, etc., etc., etc., were all started by hunters and anglers to truly protect wildlife.The true enemy of wildlife is habitat loss and these hunting and fishing organizations protect more wildlife than all others combined.

Someone humanly killing a bear by any means is completely irrelevant to the welfare of wildlife. His life style (buying licenses, buying equipment, hiring outfitters and probably membership in outdoor groups like above) has done more for the protection of wildlife than any 10 members of a PETA type organization.

We should be proud that we hunt by any means because without active participation wildlife would truly suffer. Death is a part of the real world not some dirty little secret we should be hiding from. Those that deny the fact that death is real and sometimes messy are the same folks that think food comes from the grocery store.

You people that want to live in a fantasy world where death is clean and painless are as out of touch as the PETA crowd. Animals are dying every minute of everyday all over the world in far worse ways than this now infamous bear. In fact, if you had any understanding of nature you would understand how lucky a humanly harvested animal is.