Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-02-2024, 04:52 PM

Default Late Winter Fishing Tips

Hi all,

I got really into ice fishing the last few years and found it really hard catching any fish late February and march. Just wondering if there are any tips or different methods i should be changing up during those times? I usually just fish 20 ft and under. Never really go deeper than that. Opening to catching any types of fish. A catch is a catch haha
Old 01-02-2024, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennypham616 View Post
Hi all,

. A catch is a catch haha
this could not be more wrong.... I will do nearly ANYTHING to keep any pike less than 40" off my line. ****ing slimer lure stealers. There's a reason most people consider them "a minus 1" on the daily scoreboard when fishing.

As for "late winter".. March is often the BEST time of year to fish. As things get close to spawn, fish go nuts eating as much as they can prior to the spawn.

Jan/Feb, however, can be dead zones. Fish get sluggish and lethargic. First ice and last ice are your best bets always, and first light/last light, within that.
Old 01-02-2024, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
this could not be more wrong.... I will do nearly ANYTHING to keep any pike less than 40" off my line. ****ing slimer lure stealers. There's a reason most people consider them "a minus 1" on the daily scoreboard when fishing.

First fish I caught on the JJ yesterday was a hammer handle. I think I said that it didn't count towards relieving the skunk. Glad to hear I'm not the only one that finds them pests.

I would add the late Feb and first half of March as the burbot spawn can be just that much better for the other species. I look forwards to those 3 weeks every year and not just for the burbs. Last two weeks of March can be deadly for walleye - they do put on the feedbag.
Old 01-02-2024, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post

First fish I caught on the JJ yesterday was a hammer handle. I think I said that it didn't count towards relieving the skunk. Glad to hear I'm not the only one that finds them pests.

I would add the late Feb and first half of March as the burbot spawn can be just that much better for the other species. I look forwards to those 3 weeks every year and not just for the burbs. Last two weeks of March can be deadly for walleye - they do put on the feedbag.
Amen. And for those that have never done it, add a trip to Lake Winnipeg during the last two weeks of March to your bucket list. You have never experienced anything like it.

But yes even in AB, March fishing is spectacular.
Old 01-02-2024, 09:30 PM

I guess it all depends on the lakes and fish you are after. My advice on February fishing would be use smaller presentation hooks for walleyes for example. A tugsten with minnow tail or head or even a small minnow. Fish prime times first light and last light and most important advice fish where there is fish. Don’t waste your time waiting them out cause if there not there they ain’t there. Use electronics or camera to locate fish. Best of luck!!!!
Old 01-03-2024, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtsyneil View Post
I guess it all depends on the lakes and fish you are after. My advice on February fishing would be use smaller presentation hooks for walleyes for example. A tugsten with minnow tail or head or even a small minnow. Fish prime times first light and last light and most important advice fish where there is fish. Don’t waste your time waiting them out cause if there not there they ain’t there. Use electronics or camera to locate fish. Best of luck!!!!
All good advice for January and February....downsize and slow down.

March is the best month of the year if you like hardwater. Sunglasses, hoodies and big aggressive fish of most every species.
Old 01-03-2024, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennypham616 View Post
Hi all,

I got really into ice fishing the last few years and found it really hard catching any fish late February and march. Just wondering if there are any tips or different methods i should be changing up during those times? I usually just fish 20 ft and under. Never really go deeper than that. Opening to catching any types of fish. A catch is a catch haha
In my experience I believe, like each of us, all fish will pretty much eat at some point every day given the opportunity. The windows can be very small or even quite long when activity is highest, depends, and they can be hungrier and more cooperative some days more than others but they are always going to eat because it’s about survival of the fittest. We are really competing against their natural and preferred prey sources to try and entice them to take our bait. Sometimes they bite out of hunger, sometimes curiosity, aggression, competition or even defense. I don’t think it really matters what month you fish or what day really just know that some will be way better than others. Weather, water conditions and timing like being at the right place at the right time on any given day in the right conditions often plays a bigger part. It could be true at times, or feel like it anyway, that 80% of the fish are in 20% of the water. Find the 20% places on any given day, when the dinner bell is ringing on any given lake and you can dispel all theories. Some days could feel like the fish are everywhere and you could catch them on a bare hook and next outing they are all in one spot with lockjaw and everyone is fishing it lol. I have had incredible fishing in horrific weather conditions and clear skies, all seasons, and everything in between just the same as all the tough days just burning fuel and in all months and types of weather too. A wise man once said to me…you won’t know if you don’t go….so my advice is every trip is a learning experience. Even if you strike out you could learn something invaluable that could lead to better success on future trips. The mount on my wall was caught on a totally ugly, snowing and windy cold mid winters day. Wondered what I was doing out there. Must be nuts I thought more than once and feeling defeated before luckily catching that fish late in the day. You never know how it can turn out, just give er