Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-04-2008, 03:46 AM

Default Preperation to keep Walleye and Pike....

I'm 99% C&R but will be making a specific trip to Travers to take out a couple of fish and bring them to a friends house for supper (the fish look healthy and clean in that Reservoir!). She's a GREAT cook, loves eating fish but hasn't had much experience with Freshwater fish. I was thinking about taking one good sized walleye and a Pike back so that she could try both and better still, I don't have to COOK !!

What is the best way to remove them from the reservoir once they've been caught ? Should I put them in a cooler full of ice and clean them 'once' I get back to town, or should I clean them there and 'then' pack them on ice and bring them into town ? Is there really any difference ? Has anyone eaten any fish out of TRAVERS ?

Cheers,

/FC....
Old 08-04-2008, 10:57 AM

Yup put them on ice keeps the meat firm. You can gut the fish and take out the gills but can not remove the head as they need to be able to measure the length if stopped by a fish cop.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujo1969 View Post
Yup put them on ice keeps the meat firm. You can gut the fish and take out the gills but can not remove the head as they need to be able to measure the length if stopped by a fish cop.
Good stuff, Thanks Cujo....

So I suppose that gutting them is the best thing since I could also fill the cavities with ice.... Makes sense to me. I suppose I could keep the gills intact seeing as how the head is going to be removed before cooking... I imagine that would be OK eh ?

It's gonna be weird filleting a fish, especially boney ones as I haven't done that in YEARS ! I'll try and keep my digit's intact....

Cheers,

/FC......
Old 08-04-2008, 02:32 PM

Far better to take the gills out as well. They are easy to remove......just cut across where they attach at the front on the lower jaw, and on top near the back of the head & they will come right out. The fish will keep a lot better that way. Also, it would be a good idea to wash them off before you show them to your friend as the pike especially will get pretty slimey (sp?) even on ice. Also, they will discolour where they are exposed the air as compared to touching the ice......as every fish does! Have a great time both catching them........and afterwards!