Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-05-2008, 08:33 PM

Default crawfishin alberta?

a guy i work with said he seen some crafish just north of edmonton, i have only seen them in bc and on a trip to Quebec canada do we have them here too?
Old 08-05-2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paillight View Post
a guy i work with said he seen some crafish just north of edmonton, i have only seen them in bc and on a trip to Quebec canada do we have them here too?
OH YEAH,...

Was at TRAVERS not to long ago and brought in a 4 or 5 pound Jack that 'yacked' all over the back of my boat ! You should have seen the amount of Crawfish that came outta that SOB. Stinky damn stuff too I might add.... A couple of those pinchers were about 1" to 2" long and as red as a cooked Lobster !

That was a first for me.....
(Now we just have to get the Fisheries to put in some smallies !!)

Cheers,

/FC....
Old 08-05-2008, 11:22 PM

I've seen them in the NSR and the Battle River and a few small lakes. Not too sure if there much for eating, though.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:43 AM

Default crawfish

I caught a Walleye in Marie Lake awhile back and he did the same thing that Floopy's Jack did. Puked up a half eaten Crawdad
So we went down to the Beaver River the next day and caught a bunch and tried using them for bait.
We did manage to catch some Walleye with them but I wouldn't say they worked any better then leeches or minnows.
I haven't tried eating them but I think I might give it a try yet this summer, we did catch a few that were 4-5 inches long.
I hear they are supposed to be pretty tasty.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigg dogg View Post
I hear they are supposed to be pretty tasty.
If you like the taste of mud...

Waxy
Old 08-06-2008, 01:06 PM

Its unlawful to use them as bait and they were illegally introduced ( i beleive) they were first reported in the vermillion river system years back. The ones we have here are about 1/4th the size as the ones that are in the coastal river systems which can average about 5" in length.

If you walk along the north sask even in the Edmonton vicinity look along the shore for washed up bleached out casing...easy to spot this time of year....I have tried ewating them well I was in S.C bass fishing and I have to admit they are tasty.

Hannie
Old 08-06-2008, 02:04 PM

They are in Carson Lake in Whitecourt too
Old 08-06-2008, 03:27 PM

You can buy frozen crawfish in markets like billingsgate in edmonton.

They are delicious!!!

You can get them in the states and many resturants and in the south they are served much like chicken wings, In houston the resturant I had them at served them in 20,60,100, or even 300 for big groups.Dirt cheap and your choice of dips or spice they were cooked in.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:04 PM
collectornine

Quote:
Originally Posted by wake View Post
You can buy frozen crawfish in markets like billingsgate in edmonton.

They are delicious!!!

You can get them in the states and many resturants and in the south they are served much like chicken wings, In houston the resturant I had them at served them in 20,60,100, or even 300 for big groups.Dirt cheap and your choice of dips or spice they were cooked in.
I remember the time in florida when we stoped at a restaurant called crawdaddys Louisiana cooking at its best you either like it or you dont ,Cajun spiced crawfish yumm ,you cant beat it I have to agree They are delicious!! I will have to check out billingsgate.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chung66 View Post
They are in Carson Lake in Whitecourt too
Wow i never ever seen them in Carson and i have been in Whitecourt for 38 years but on the other hand i gave up fishing carson quite a few years ago when they started stocking like half a million fish in it.......i loved it back in the days when the bows were averaging 4-6 pound and seen many over 10 pounds.....but that is a diffrent story..still love my trout just fish in diffrent lakes i stay away from carson as far as i can get
Old 08-06-2008, 07:35 PM

Default crayfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by floppychicken@shaw.ca View Post
OH YEAH,...

Was at TRAVERS not to long ago and brought in a 4 or 5 pound Jack that 'yacked' all over the back of my boat ! You should have seen the amount of Crawfish that came outta that SOB. Stinky damn stuff too I might add.... A couple of those pinchers were about 1" to 2" long and as red as a cooked Lobster !

That was a first for me.....
(Now we just have to get the Fisheries to put in some smallies !!)

Cheers,

/FC....
was at travers sight fishing for whities last winter with world wide , we were fishing in 7-8ft. of water when a 6-7 inch crayfish passed by on the bottom , about a 3 ft. pike came by and sat there eyeing it for a couple minutes . the cray moved off out of view , don't know if the pike ever took it , but he kept swimming past our holes . put a slab of bacon on a tip-up just outside the hut but could'nt catch the son a b that was shying away the whites. still ended up with a good catch of whites . crays are in travers , usually good walleye food. we'll be back in travers come hard water. TIGHT LINES.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:09 PM

Yeah we have them, and yeah they are good to eat....the guys that say they taste like dirt are the guys that never cleaned them right.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:29 PM
Gone Hunting

Yup, they eat good. We trap them outa Newell with a modified minnow trap. Just use snips and open the holes up abit bigger and throw in some bait. Havent tried any other way besides boiled like lobster and the tails dipped in butter, but we will be trying other dishes soon. Should be good with pasta etc, or have even thought about soups.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 08-07-2008, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman View Post
Wow i never ever seen them in Carson and i have been in Whitecourt for 38 years but on the other hand i gave up fishing carson quite a few years ago when they started stocking like half a million fish in it.......i loved it back in the days when the bows were averaging 4-6 pound and seen many over 10 pounds.....but that is a diffrent story..still love my trout just fish in diffrent lakes i stay away from carson as far as i can get
You can catch them along the area where they fish off of the shore. I saw a couple of kids with peices of meat on a fishing line pulling them in. It was 6:00 am and they were swearing like sailors. Kinda funny. Anyway, they prefer hotdog over steak. They will climb on to your catch of you keep them in the water.