Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-22-2022, 06:27 AM

Find the low point, and drill a couple small holes..
Old 12-22-2022, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
Where does one find these mats? Dad looked at Canadian tire and they were sold out. Said they were a seasonal item only. Uhhhh well is this not the season they would be of most use?
Garage Strategies, Garage Frontiers, Europa Canopy and Marine, Edmonton Garage Door, Canada Mats and some adds on Kijiji.
Old 12-22-2022, 06:45 AM

Install an HRV in your garage
By exhausting the humid air and replacing with the dry air from outside - you can effectively maintain 20 or 30% humidity in your garage.

Won't help with the floor sloping problem - but it will remove all standing moisture overnight
Old 12-22-2022, 06:51 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I use to use a big squeegee and push all the crap out, shovel the slush etc after words to the side.

Did that with three houses then when we built we put a drain system in.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-22-2022, 07:01 AM

I had same problem and kept freezing garage door down. Problem was no sump. This isn’t code and I didn’t get approval but when I sell its an easy fix. Fill back up with concrete.

Had to be done in summer…I took a masonry blade for my skill saw, set saw at 1/4”, scribed a line 1’ away from wall on low side of garage the full width of garage and went back and forth with skill saw/water hose making cuts side by side totalling 1” wide. Took a hammer and broke out the concrete leaving a 1/4” deep x 1”wide trough. Next along far side of garage at end of trench I set skill saw any full depth and cut out a spot for a sump and broke out with sledge hammer, dug it out as deep as i could and also had to make opening large enough so I could fit, once complete I cribbed it in and poured the sump walls and floor, used some bar grating to make nice cover.

Now the water from vehicle goes in trench and makes its way to sump, stayed away 1’ from garage door to keep water from freezing and damning trench. Made sure to make sump big enough to take water from winter (16”x24”x4’deep) and use a small garden hose pump from peavy mart to suck out in spring.

Major learning is make sure when buying a house or pouring a garage floor is to have contingency for a sump ahead of time!