Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-05-2011, 08:30 AM

Default Beretta Speed Trigger

Just bought a Beretta (O/U 2 ¾ or 3” 30“ barrels) with a speed trigger and was wondering what everyone’s opinion is about the speed trigger for the range and upland hunting.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:06 PM

I've never seen a speed trigger in person but I suppose if you shot it a lot you would get used to it. I'm afraid that the speed trigger would cost me birds just as the double triggers have.

I prefer simple single triggers and have purposely stayed away from double trigger shotguns. I have one double trigger sxs that I take out once in a while but I'm just too dumb to think about having to change finger position on a flush. I've let out a few choice words when the second pull on the front trigger didn't do anything.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:12 AM

FYI I've got an old Gun Digest that had an article about the speed trigger in it. If I'm not mistaken they were introduced in the 70's but they didn't continue production for very long. It is made out of a solid piece of metal with two grooves for trigger finger stacked on top of each other. There is a pivot in between the grooves that allow for the firing of either barrel depending on the placement of the trigger finger.

Browning Hunter, could you post a pic of it?
Old 08-06-2011, 07:27 AM

I prefer a selector over the speed triggers for clays, and double triggers for hunting - I just found the speed trigger a bit of a hassle.
And don't even get me started on the release trigger!!
Cat
Old 08-06-2011, 08:50 AM
Banned

Cat[/QUOTE]

Cut some cords or patterned you load on the trap house before?
Old 08-06-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post
Cat
Cut some cords or patterned you load on the trap house before?[/QUOTE]

No, just could not get the hang of it when tried it with a hand thrower last Spring!!
I got a killer deal at auction in a SKB/Ithaca Century trap gun.
Got it home and realized it had a release trigger!
"GREAT!" says I, "Always wanted to try one!"
After messing up on about 10 targets each, my son and I took it home, and in about 5 minutes had the lever and spring out and switched it back to a pull trigger.
Whoever did the job , BTW, did an EXCELLENT one- I just can't shoot the danged things!!
Cat
Old 08-06-2011, 11:54 AM
Banned

I can’t imagine selling a shot gun with a release trigger and not telling the buyer that could be awfully dangerous. They don’t allow them at live pigeon shoots any more either they were hard on Mexicans
Old 08-06-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post
I can’t imagine selling a shot gun with a release trigger and not telling the buyer that could be awfully dangerous. They don’t allow them at live pigeon shoots any more either they were hard on Mexicans
I CAN IMAGINE!!!
To be honest however, I doubt if the auction company realized it was a release, the stock came from a foreclosure .
Cat
Old 08-06-2011, 04:57 PM
Banned

The Beretta BL 2 was supposed to have a speed trigger.

I bought a BL2 for next to nothing and sold the gun quick.

I did not even know the BL2 had speed triggers on it.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:56 PM

I always fought the inpulse to shoot the second shot to soon.
It takes longer to aim than to squeeze.
Pete
Old 07-16-2014, 11:20 AM

Unhappy

Back when I was young enough to have hair I bought a new Beretta O/U, with the speed trigger...It took me a while to get used to it but I found it to work quite well once I did...to be honest I had more of a problem trying to shuck the forearm every time I shot it then with the trigger so I traded it off again on a new 870 wingmaster...Back to familiar territory...But I think now that was a mistake as I really did like that gun...But it is a mistake I have repeated several dozen times over the years between rifles and shotguns...guess I will never learn...lol

Jim