Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-06-2024, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman View Post
A bit off topic, apologies.

For the guys near Falher, do you have any experience with Simards as a meat processor? My concern, since I'll be flying, is getting my meat cut and frozen in time, should I be fortunate to fill a tag on the last day or two of the hunt. My last day will be Oct 6, and I'm looking to book my return flight for the afternoon of Oct 8.

I called and spoke to a nice fella at Simards (Stefan?), and he seemed confident that he could accommodate me. I'm just wondering if there were other options, in case things went sideways. Does anyone have suggestions for an alternate processor in the area?
A number of the Hutterite colonies cut, wrap and freeze wild game. I would think your Outfitter should know the ones closest to Falher that do that. If you can't find one closer, Birch Meadows Hutterite Colony, in Birch Hills county, is about 35 miles West on pavement from Fahler, and they cut wild game. Would give you a fall back option at least.

Last edited by Dean2; 04-06-2024 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-06-2024, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
You’re talking a town of 1000 persons, and a county with about maybe another 500 persons within a 20 km radius from town. You’re gonna be hard pressed to find much more in resources like butchers with that sort of population demographic up there. Run with what ya got, and be prepared.
I was of thinking that might be the case, but figured I'd put it out there anyway. Hey, sometimes you never know....

Thanks, Dick
Old 04-06-2024, 05:03 PM

Quote:
I was of thinking that might be the case, but figured I'd put it out there anyway. Hey, sometimes you never know....

Thanks, Dick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
A number of the Hutterite colonies cut, wrap and freeze wild game. I would think your Outfitter should know the ones closest to Falher that do that. If you can't find one closer, Birch Meadows Hutterite Colony, in Birch Hills county, is about 35 miles West on pavement from Fahler, and they cut wild game. Would give you a fall back option at least.
Thanks, Dean.
I'll check into that with the outfitter.
Good to know.
Old 04-06-2024, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Dean.
I'll check into that with the outfitter.
Good to know.
Excellent idea . he should have all this info at his fingers tips . He know's you're coming all the way from Florida on a plane. Should be automatic with the fee ..