Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-14-2011, 11:51 PM

Default Benelli Super Vinci or Beretta Xtrema 2

Ok shotgun guys, I would love to hear some opinions about these two guns. I have done research on a ton of autoloader shotguns and have basically brought it down to these two. Both fit me really well and feel nice to hold and look down. Both are obviously great guns and both are priced relatively close to one and other. Taking into consideration the Benelli being a inertia driven vs the gas driven Beretta, which do you like more? I will be using this gun for ducks and geese mainly and obviously a bunch of clay stuff to practice. But, which do you recommend (assuming they both fit the exact same)? Who has had problems with either and if you have had problems, what were they? Is there a difference in warranty (I haven't really looked at that one yet)? Is there a difference in parts availability? Which is more reliable? And is there anything that would sway your purchase if you were looking at either of these?

One kind of funny thing is that both companies claim to have the fastest reloading and the softest kicking guns. I guess maybe that is because of the difference in the way they reload they can both claim that.

Also I have decided to head down the path of the 3 1/2 " guns based on being able to shoot 2 3/4" 3" and 3 1/2" shells. In most cased a guy probably doesnt need 3 1/2" shells but still nice to have the choice if needed.

Thanks in advance for any help that I receive.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:49 AM

I recently purchased the Xtrema 2 with the kick-off system. Spent a week in Sask hunting geese and ducks with it.

I dont have any issues with it so far. It shot the light 2 3/4 loads right out of the box without any issues. The 3 1/2'' goose shells felt like shooting a light 3'' load.

Chuck Norris and Mr. T walked into a bar. The bar was instantly destroyed, as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building
Old 11-15-2011, 08:11 AM

I too have been looking for a new auto-loader and narrowed it down to the same companies. I am going to go with the Beretta because of the flat vent rib opposed to the raised rib on the Benelli.

I have a Browning 500G with the raised rib and it takes a couple rounds of skeet to get use to every season. Even after practise I have to think about every shot and how much higher the pattern will be compared to my O/U and other auto-loaders. It is just not a natural thing for me as it should be.

I guess it is what ever you are comfortable with. If you can get them both out to shoot you will no doubt find a favorite.

As far as quality goes I couldn't find anything in my research that made a difference.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:37 AM

Check out the browning maxus if your interested in the best autoloader!!!
Old 11-15-2011, 08:41 AM

I bought an Extrema 11 this year on the advice of a person who was the distributer of the products for a number of years. Both great products but he gave the edge to the Beretta. I've got a bum shoulder and the kick off worked well. Tried 3 1/2's for the first time and I'm still in one piece although they will only be used in certain conditions. There were some good prices a couple of months ago (1600 with kick off) so it may pay to shop around.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:59 AM

I've shot all those guns, some not too much, others a bit.
The one that stood out for me as far as price and recoil, and reliability , is the Browning maxus.
The Extrema 2 is a good gun as well, but for the lightest weight and lightest recoil of all of them , the Benneli Super sporting is the gun, for sure!
The price tag is quite a bit more than the Maxus, and I'm not sure if you can get it in a 3.5" however.
I shot the berreta, and loaned it to a few people who liked it, and the price is a bit better as well.

Cat
Old 11-15-2011, 09:21 AM

Benelli Super Vinci or Beretta Xtrema 2 is not a great comparison. Probably a SBEII and Beretta Xtrema 2 or a Benelli Super Vinci and Urika 2 are better comparisons, 3.5" guns or 3" guns.

funny I went thru the same decision making process back in September as I decided after 30 yrs of shooting a pump, time to make a change. I did opt for the AL391 Urika 2, firstly because I have never had a need to shoot 3.5" shells, secondly price difference between the 3.5" / 3" and thirdly cost of shells. My personal preference is a gas operated gun, the gas system in Beretta is exceptional. I do not have the kick off and the recoil is so minimal not sure why one would need. The feel and fit for me in the Beretta felt better, much closer fit to a wingmaster than a benelli.

Beretta AL391 uses an updated gas system referred to as "SPIN-CLEANER SELF-CLEANING VALVE PISTON. In addition to self- cleaning, the Beretta AL391 gas valve provides the advantage of automatically compensating for shot shells with different charges, thereby adjusting for different amounts of recoil. The compensating gas valve is designed to cycle the action reliably (when using a wide variety of shells) and minimize felt recoil. This valve either vents excess gases of the most powerful cartridges, preserving the shotgun from unnecessary wear and increasing its life, or utilizes all the power of the weakest shotshells. The Beretta AL391 series is considered the most advanced gas operated semi- automatic shotgun ever produced.

Having said alllllllll this, I have shot the extremma2 and SBEII. I honestly dont think you can go wrong with either, including the new remington versa max. The maxus from a recoil perspective is exceptional and probably the lightest shooting gun, all the manufacturers make very strong claims as to why their product is superior. based on the current line up, you have some great choices. good luck in your decision. Their should be some great deals out there to be had with birding almost done
Old 11-15-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
Benelli Super Vinci or Beretta Xtrema 2 is not a great comparison. Probably a SBEII and Beretta Xtrema 2 or a Benelli Super Vinci and Urika 2 are better comparisons, 3.5" guns or 3" guns.
The Super Vinci is new this year and is a 3.5" gun, the Vinci is a 3".

In saying that I bought a new SBEII this fall and love it. I must have went back and forth for an hour between the Super Vinci and the SBEII and couldn't tell a difference. Super Vinci comes apart easier but I got a better deal on the SBEII. The Benelli rep claimed the Vinci cycled quicker, but we are talking fractions of a second. I have about 500 rounds through my SBEII and haven't cleaned it yet. Not one jam or issue with it.

My buddy bought a Xtrema 2 this fall and it jammed a few times on the first hunt, and a plastic piece broke off. He took it back to Cabelas and they gave him a new one and hasn't had any issues with this Xtrema. My wife Danni has the Urika as metioned above and never had an issue with it for 3 years now.

Dustin
Old 11-15-2011, 05:37 PM
sheephunter

Ya Vanessa has a 3" Vinci and it's a mighty fine shooting shotgun. Fast, low recoil and points like a dream. Also handy if you get cast in a role for the new Star Wars movie Seems like most of the shotguns in this price range are pretty good value.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:46 PM

I bought the Extrema II a couple of years ago and the Super Vinci this spring. Seems like the Super Vinci is seeing more time in the field. I definitely notice that it is a bit lighter and seems to swing a bit better for me. The Extrema has failed on me once in the field. The extractor hammers forward and has bent and finally broken the roll pin that holds it in place. I have changed the spring and roll pin a few times but it keeps bending. I replace it at the start of the season to avoid issues now, with parts from brownells.

Tags
benelli, beretta, super, vinci, xtrema 2