Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-16-2015, 06:38 PM

Question New to Hunting - Firearm Questions

Hello fellas,

I just got my PAL in the mail yesterday and have been looking for months to decide which shotgun and rifle to get first, with handgun .45 or .22 after those.

I'm debating between Benelli Nova, Mossberg 500 or Stoeger Condor Over/Under... What are your thoughts and where do you recommend buying?

I'm hung up on a few rifles so any recommendations?

I'm also looking for any used low price firearms anyone may be selling, as my second daughter was just born and you know kids ain't cheap lol.

Any info from seasoned vets or opinions are appreciated!
Old 07-16-2015, 06:52 PM

One thing I learnt about shotguns. If it doesn't fit right your not going to hit your target consistently.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:52 PM

Welcome to the forum and the gun owning community!

If you're looking for a few rifles it would be fun to specialize a little bit, but as far as a good 'anything' rifle you would be hard pressed to find a nicer middlin' gun than a Winchester model 70 in something like a .30-06. That was my first real rifle, the action is smooth and I get about 1.5 moa out of pretty much every factory ammo I try. The one I have is a featherweight, close to 9 pounds or so with a scope and a full magazine that helps with some of the recoil. It was a great first gun, easy to pull apart, clean, and learn from
Old 07-16-2015, 07:00 PM

This is such a personal question with too many variables to give a real answer... but the classic Alberta trio is a 12 gauge, a 30-06 and a .22.
However, everyone will tell you something different.

My advice? Go to a range like the Shooters Edge and try a bunch out. Then go to a gun shop and shoulder a bunch of shotguns. A poorly fit shotgun won't shoot well for you. Then go check the reviews online (and places like here) and save up for good a good quality gun. That doesn't mean it has to be expensive - Savage and Marlin are making some very accurate out of box low price rifles, after all. And don't skimp on the optics. A good scope will probably cost as much or more than a good enough rifle.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:02 PM

If you toss an add out on the buy and sell its amazing how many people will send you a message to sell a rifle they don't use anymore.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:00 PM

If you can go to a skeet or trap club before buying a shotgun as they will probably let you try some at least for fit and you can get an idea of what you like. The guns you mentioned are all good for hunting but I will point out that you can get a slug barrel for the Mossberg 500 to hunt deer and other big game.

If you can only afford one gun then buy a shotgun that you like as it is the most versatile gun.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:14 PM

When you decide to get a handgun get a .22 over a .45

Ammo cost is 1000% more, and you csn learn the fundimentals with any pistol, may as well make it cheaper.
So when you do want that45 you can shoot it resonably well right out the box and not get frusterated missing shots.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
One thing I learnt about shotguns. If it doesn't fit right your not going to hit your target consistently.

And yet many people choose a shotgun without any idea as to whether it will fit them. Every year I see people show up to shoot trap or skeet , and they can't hit much, because the gun doesn't fit them. Most of them aren't even aware that the gun doesn't fit them.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:41 PM

You're on the right track.
Handle them all and pick the shotgun the feels the best.
Gray's right, if you only have one pistol make it a 22.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:43 PM

like others have said make sure your shotgun fits over all things. i also have come to the conclusion that with shotguns its better to go with the "buy once cry once" theory. you dont hear many folk complaining about how they wished they had a stoeger instead of a browning or Beretta.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 07-17-2015, 12:30 PM

Go try/shoulder a bunch...let the gun tell YOU it's the right one. However, if you're an average-sized guy...most guns should fit OK-good. Personally, I find shotguns to be very versatile for birds/rabbits and targets too! (trap, specifically) I like shooting any kind of gun...but I think shotguns leave the biggest smile on my face.

I'm a Remington fan (870s, mostly) but a good friend of mine...also an 870 fan...just got a Mossberg 500 and he likes it most. Food for thought.

As for the rest~22s are superb for practice, gophers, pests, and are cheap to shoot. If you can swing it, get a CZ. If you can't, something like a Marlin XT should serve you well. If money is even tighter than that, look at an old Cooey 60. A nice specimen should be in the $100-$150 range.

It's highly unlikely that the first gun(s) you buy will be your favorite 5-10 years from now, so don't sweat it too much. Get what you can afford, and go shoot safe/have fun.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:47 PM

The talk of fit fit fit is all true, but a new person doesn't necessarily know what that means. How do I know if it fits?

Here is one way recommended to me that is useful. Shut your eyes, bring the gun to shoulder as if you were shooting at a bird. Open your eyes. Your cheek should be against the stock and you should be looking directly down the barrel/rib and seeing the bead at the end. With some shotguns I find that when I'm doing this I end up looking down at the barrel/rib from slightly above (which would cause me to shoot high) and that I have to sort of "scrunch" my cheek down onto the stock to get the "directly down the barrel" sight picture. Not something I want to have to remember to do each time I shoot. Now if you have a shotgun that comes with spacers you can take the butt off and move the comb/heel lower, which helps with the problem. You can do this with most pump and semi autos, but usually not with an O/U or Sxs. I believe some gunsmiths can bend wood stocks slightly but I'm not familiar with the process.

As to cast (moving the butt stock right or left) and length of pull I'll leave the explanation of that to others.

And I know new shooters often think they can also shoot slugs at big game (I know I did) which might sway their choice to a shotgun that can do that. However I bet in the end you also decide to pick up a rifle for that purpose. I'd simply pick the best shotgun for waterfowl and upland game, which is what you will likely be using it for 99% of the time. Of the choices you named I'd pick the Nova.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
The talk of fit fit fit is all true, but a new person doesn't necessarily know what that means. How do I know if it fits?

Here is one way recommended to me that is useful. Shut your eyes, bring the gun to shoulder as if you were shooting at a bird. Open your eyes. Your cheek should be against the stock and you should be looking directly down the barrel/rib and seeing the bead at the end. With some shotguns I find that when I'm doing this I end up looking down at the barrel/rib from slightly above (which would cause me to shoot high) and that I have to sort of "scrunch" my cheek down onto the stock to get the "directly down the barrel" sight picture.
Shotguns are not shot like you shoot a gun with iron sights.... there is no requirement that the top of the receiver line up under the sight bead - or for the middle bead to cover the end bead.

My advice to the OP.... start with a 22LR. Hunting is a lifelong journey. Go slow, enjoy it. A 22LR is quiet, cheap to feed, fun to shoot. It will teach you a great deal about shooting.

If a shotgun is a must....Go two ways, buy something used and cheaper than borsch until you learn what you want then throw it away - or spend some coin and get a nice one. Spending $500 bucks on a junker Mossburg or Stoeger makes no sense.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
Shotguns are not shot like you shoot a gun with iron sights.... there is no requirement that the top of the receiver line up under the sight bead - or for the middle bead to cover the end bead.

My advice to the OP.... start with a 22LR. Hunting is a lifelong journey. Go slow, enjoy it. A 22LR is quiet, cheap to feed, fun to shoot. It will teach you a great deal about shooting.

If a shotgun is a must....Go two ways, buy something used and cheaper than borsch until you learn what you want then throw it away - or spend some coin and get a nice one. Spending $500 bucks on a junker Mossburg or Stoeger makes no sense.

I do agree with you on the .22 aspect, but spending 500 bucks on a shotgun makes perfect sense to me.

mossberg 500, 870, nova, all fine and reliable shotguns.
Are they pretty to look at? often not. do they break clays and knock down birds just the same? yes
Old 07-18-2015, 12:55 PM

Wow, didn't expect to get so many replies! I appreciate all the info and I'm taking note of each. I think the .22 idea names a lot of sense, best to get fundamentals down first. I will definitely have to fit a few before buying as I'm only 5'7" and I doubt all models will work for me; I'll be sure to try the close your eyes method.

First task of this weekend is safe hunting lol. Doesn't seem like they go on sale often, though the Liberty and Redhead 14 and 20 gun models both look good. I got excited when I saw the Redhead 20 gun $50 off at Basspro, didn't realize their site was in USD until after. This is definitely an area I don't want to cheap out on as I have 2 little girls running around. Any suggestions where in our around Edmonton to look?
Old 07-18-2015, 01:01 PM

If your looking for a fairly cheap safe that is fire rated check out Costco. I bought a 14 gun at Costco and it works great. The only thing with safes is they fill up way to quick and then the wife asks why you need another safe when you only have 2 guns. Lol. The other thing is when it says 14 guns, good luck getting anymore than about 9 in one if they have bolts and scopes.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:16 PM

Makes sense lol I didn't think of Costco! I'll have to go take a look there, as their site doesn't seem to include all of their safes.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:18 PM

For a shotgun look at what fits you best, for a rifle look at the winchester modle 70 or kimber 84m,8400,84l
Old 07-18-2015, 01:29 PM

I avoid the tradition safes, as I see too many firearms with so called "safe kisses". I store all of my guns in a lockup, each one in their own case. I will soon get started on building my fireproof walk in gun room with vault door.
Old 07-19-2015, 02:35 AM

At 5'7" as well my first shotgun was( still is) a maverick 88
Which is made by mossberg and is basically a m-500.
Doing the site test that Okotokian said this shotgun fits me perfectly.
Fits the wallet nicely as well
Should you choose to attempt shooting slugs out of a light shotgun, might I suggest a shooters shoulder pad, a pachmyer decelerator pad, and finally only buy one box at a time. They can be fairly punishing to shoot
Guy Fawkes and his companions
Did the scheme contrive,
To blow the king and parliament
All up alive!
Eat, Drink, and be merry for tomorrow we shall surely die
Certified tinfoil hat wearing redneck.
Old 07-19-2015, 02:52 AM

I am 100% sold in the Ruger American rim fire in .22
Bolt action that takes the classic Ruger rotary magazine. That means if you choose to, you can , shoot with the banana "clip"
Fibre optic post, flip up rear. Milled for traditional small arms scope, drilled and tapped for base.
I do a fair amount of driving on my chicken hunts and having a mag that I can remove is much nicer than my pump ( tube mag) my brothers lever(tube mag)
Not to mention that so far, just under 100 rounds down she's minute of chicken at 50yrds
Guy Fawkes and his companions
Did the scheme contrive,
To blow the king and parliament
All up alive!
Eat, Drink, and be merry for tomorrow we shall surely die
Certified tinfoil hat wearing redneck.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:33 AM

I 100% agree with the advice of buying a .22 first and use open sights at first for a while then graduate to using a scope.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:23 AM

22 definitely, as has been beaten to death - my regret when I first started buying guns was not starting off with this calibre.

12ga is best general purpose shotgun, versatile with cheap(er) and great variety of rounds. There are a wide variety but I like sticking with the very proven Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 platforms. For a first time shotgun I like Remington 870 clone that is a couple hundred dollars cheaper. Fit is king.

A lot of 30-06 fans here - my preference is 308. It's an old debate and really comes down to personal preference, accuracy difference is mininmal. 30-06 is a bit more powerful and can be more effective if you are tailoring hand loads. I like 308 for weight, availibility of both bulk and match grade ammo, brass availibility, barrel life and less recoil. And it can take anything from deer to elk.

Second hand Remington 700's offer terrific value.

Just my 2 cents!
Old 07-20-2015, 09:24 PM

Well .22 definitely sounds like first on my agenda lol Just not sure which route to go on the cheap.

For shotgun leaning heavily towards either the Remington 870 or Mossberg 500, but will have to check out that Maverick! Gonna have a "test" a few first. I just wanna get used to the shotgun before hunting season so I can hopefully get out with some experienced guys birding.

Tomorrow night I'm hitting Costco to check safes, I have to keep telling myself not to buy that $150 sheet metal cabinet from CanTire lol I watched an 80 year old gentleman literally pick it up and laugh in store today! Not very good for safety I can imagine.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhenley17 View Post

. . . I just got my PAL in the mail yesterday and have been looking for months to decide which shotgun and rifle to get first, with handgun .45 or .22 after those . . .

For a 'Newbie' (no insult intended), you're looking in too many directions at once. Chill-out and do what most of us did. Start with something simple (eg. .22 rimfire) ... have fun with it, and slowly work from there.

And just for the record, never go 'cheap' ... save yer bucks and do it right.

My two centavos

Mac

Tags
benelli, buy, mossberg, stoeger