Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-07-2013, 07:34 PM

Default IQ sight with retina lock

Does anyone here own one or have they tried one? The recent posts on the Anchor site thread got me thinking about these. They look like they'd do the same thing but you'd have the "circle & dot" right on the sight so it would be easier to use??
Old 02-07-2013, 07:36 PM

Default IQ sight

Looks like a good idea, think they are around $200
Old 02-07-2013, 08:30 PM

The thing I don't like about the IQ sight is that you have no options for the site...at least with the Anchor Site you can use it with any other site you want....so if you have a spot hog you really like, you can still use it.

The IQ Site people bought the Timberline NO-Peep technology and built it into a site....

If you want to see an Anchor Site and a No Peep let me know....I live in the same town and I have them both set up on bows.

LC
Old 02-08-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
The thing I don't like about the IQ sight is that you have no options for the site...at least with the Anchor Site you can use it with any other site you want....so if you have a spot hog you really like, you can still use it.

The IQ Site people bought the Timberline NO-Peep technology and built it into a site....

If you want to see an Anchor Site and a No Peep let me know....I live in the same town and I have them both set up on bows.

LC
Lefty has it right (?)... The only draw back with the IQ vs No-peep/Anchor Sight is that you're forced to use the IQ horizontal pins and housing; the No-peep/Anchor Sight gives you endless options for sight pins/housings....

I shot the No-peep for years and became used to vertical pins. Buying an IQ gave me the same No-peep functionality, but had to go with the IQ's horizontal pins (not that much of a change, but I miss my vertical pins)

That being said, the adjustments to get the IQ setup are so much better than the old No-peep (I haven't seen an Anchor Sight, so can't comment).

Both the IQ and No-peep continue to give me naturally lit pins, well before and after legal shooting light. Can't say that same thing while trying to look through a regular string peep (at least with my eyes)...

Any of the systems I've mentioned (IQ, No-peep, Anchor Sight) will force you to have a very stable, repetitive anchor position on each and every shot, regardless of stance/gloves/etc....

J.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post

Any of the systems I've mentioned (IQ, No-peep, Anchor Sight) will force you to have a very stable, repetitive anchor position on each and every shot, regardless of stance/gloves/etc....

J.

That's the key point. If you aren't married to your sight pins/sight then the IQ sight is a very viable option for someone looking to move from a peep sight.

I question if they have the same amount of adjust-ability as the anchor sight, keeping in mind that I've never seen one in the flesh.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:46 AM

I just seen one yesterday, and I think it is a good set-up. I think there is plenty of adjustability in the retina lock itself. I wish it could be ordered as a custom, with smaller pins and different colors but I think I might try one. I have shot a no peep for a long time (close to 20 years), and I think the retina does a good job of using that technology. It, like the no peep is not subject to the issue the anchor site is. If a person is not set on using their current sights, this is definitely worth checking out of you want to rid yourself of the use of a peep sight.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:52 AM

IMHO they are a good wean from using a peep...I dont use a peep and shoot off the string...and eliminate the low light issues, peep roatating, strings breaking at peep etc ... with the IQ you can utilize both methods if wanting too...with or without...

the only con I can see is In fast action like elk calling the IQ may slow one down on shots ...

We have several shooters here that use them successfully, one is in my top five shooters...

Note* Many shooters absolutely need a peep due to eye issues such as eye dominance or eye focus...near sighted etc

shooters like them...once they have shot them

Neil
Old 02-12-2013, 12:51 AM
Banned

I just watched tom maranda and the drury boys. They still appear to have a peep on with the iq sight?
Old 02-12-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin View Post
I just watched tom maranda and the drury boys. They still appear to have a peep on with the iq sight?
...some just cant give up their "training wheels"
...lol
Old 02-12-2013, 06:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
...some just cant give up their "training wheels"
...lol
Ok so I could mount this sight drill my peep out larger and eventually wean myself from it then?
Old 02-13-2013, 06:41 AM

You could mount the sight, use your peep sight to get the retina setup, remove your peep sight and never look back. Simple as that.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin View Post
Ok so I could mount this sight drill my peep out larger and eventually wean myself from it then?
Basically yes ...however the peep may hinder proper sighting with the IQ as you will be anchoring as normal but sighting with right dominate eye [for a right hand shooter] on the right side of the string...at the same area as where the peep is now located...

what "normanrd" stated abouve would be the optinum proceedure

Neil
Old 02-21-2013, 08:28 AM

Well, I got one of these Iq Sights, and put it on my black Destroyer 350. The pins are brighter than I thought they would be, as well as the retina. last night I shot the sight at 45 min past legal light and had zero problems seeing either the pins or the retina.

The retina tuned easily, within drawing the bow 7 or 8 times I was good to go. Keep in mind that I have been using a no peep sight for the last 15 or so years, so I knew what I was looking for as an end result.

Sight overall quality is on par with average IMO. Sliding bar gang adjustments with allen screw lock down, single pin adjustments by sliding in tracks, locked down with allen screws. Loks to be plenty durable, should be good. With no custom pin color and size option, I think the sight lacks. I am a Spott Hogg Guy, so take this with a grain of salt, just a little spoiled.

Overall I think the sight is a fantastic option for those who dont want the extra "thing" hanging off their bow (anchor sight), who want to get rid of their peep sight and who are ok with the features that the sight offers. I'm going to shoot it on my black bow for a while and see how it hangs in there.

Norm
Old 02-21-2013, 10:13 AM

Thanks for the review!

LC
Old 02-21-2013, 10:26 AM

Sorry about that, the post should say 45 min past sunset, not past legal light! my appologies!

Norm