Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-24-2009, 09:44 PM

I've used blue fox spoons and i like them over len thompsons.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:45 PM

I've used blue fox spoons and i like them over len thompsons. Only thing is they are not as heavy.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:47 PM

I have a few Blue Fox spoons; they seem to do the job well. A good place to get brand name gear at reasonable prices is Ebay, Kijji, or right here in the buy and sell section. If you are going to try some cheaper stuff maybe invest in a hook sharpener as cheaper hooks just seem duller to me out of the package. Also be careful when squishing the barbs, I've had the odd hook break on me; something thats never happened with my more expensive stuff. A nd oh yeah one more vote for the CDN flag spoons; Pike love them they must be a very patriotic fish
Old 08-24-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinFreak View Post
I have a few Blue Fox spoons; they seem to do the job well. A good place to get brand name gear at reasonable prices is Ebay, Kijji, or right here in the buy and sell section. If you are going to try some cheaper stuff maybe invest in a hook sharpener as cheaper hooks just seem duller to me out of the package. Also be careful when squishing the barbs, I've had the odd hook break on me; something thats never happened with my more expensive stuff. A nd oh yeah one more vote for the CDN flag spoons; Pike love them they must be a very patriotic fish
I usually keep an eye on the buy and sell, and will definitely continue to do so

As for the hooks, I think if I buy anything questionable I'll just replace the hook right from go and play it safe.

I don't have a hook sharpener yet, but I do have a dremel...well a Princess Auto rotary tool...anyway, I use that to take care of most of my barbs, unless I happen to take something out of its package when I'm out, then I pinch them. I've sharpened a couple hooks with it, but you've gotta be careful not to overdo it. I'll probably get a hook sharpener in the near future

Might pick me up one of those Canadian flag spoons too...wouldn't mind doing some pike fishing if I get the opportunity!

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 08-24-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Does anybody out there regularly fish with off-brand lures?

Like I know for spoons, most people are probably using Len Thompson spoons, for spinners, it's usually Mepps or Panther Martins, and for plugs, I'm pretty sure almost everybody has a Rapala or two in their tackle box.

Now in my travels I've come across some items that either seem inexpensive to begin with, or have gone on sale for quite cheap, but even if inexpensive I'm not sure these things may be worth my money.

For example, last week I saw a package of 5 Lucky Strike spoons that looked decent for an okay price. I've also seen a 5 pack of spinners (might have been Blue Fox brand) that looked okay. See all sorts of random plugs on sale at The Wal regularly as well. There's also a big rack at The Fishin' Hole that has all sorts of spoons and big spinners on there for pretty reasonable prices.

So does anybody ever buy this stuff, or is it more about marketing? Like I said, some of it seems like okay stuff. I noticed the spoons on the rack at TFH were made of material a little lighter/thinner than a Len Thompson, and the shape was a little different, so I wasn't sure.
I don't think its the brand , But the more known brands have been in the business most likely a long long time , Like Len Thompson , Lucky strike , Rapala , Lindy , ETC ETC ETC , A hook isn't going to guarantee you catch fish . But with some skill and technique you can catch them on other things aswell . There is so much information out there now indays to help out the everyday angler , just gotta do the work to find it and give those slight hints .
Old 08-25-2009, 06:55 AM
Banned

bluefox and pelican spoons are not realy cheap alternatives to Len Thompson, nor do I concider them to be "off brands". I have caught many large pike on blue fox double and single hook bucktails though. For plugs and bucktails I can see cheaping out, the are pricy. But with spoons $30 should buy you as many Len Thompsons as you will need for a summer or two, after that your just replacing a spoon here and there as you lose them. So pretty much skip a case of beer and your covered for spoons. A couple evenings at boston pizza cost more than what you would need to buy a good selection of plugs, bucktails and jigs.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:09 PM

I'm kinda with Wayne on this one. It's been my experience that you can pretty much tie anything to a line and the pike will attack it. Heck...even tie your watch and a hook on there and I would bet you would get something.

If you are fishing at a spot that has heavy cover or submerged trees, logs, etc., save a few bucks and use the el cheapo spoons. I have spent way too much time and money cursing snagged "expensive" spoons!

Like it was said earlier, the pike don't care if the spoons are brand name or not.

That being said, the better quality spoons do last longer...so you do get what you pay for. So I have a selection of both better and lesser quality spoons in the tacklebox with similar patterns so that if you think chances are high that you will lose a few, switch to the knock-off versions.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:22 PM
Banned

Default Use the right tool for the job

If your fishing around submerged logs and in thick weeds use a spinnerbait or a texas rigged plastic and you will barely lose any hooks at all. True with some lures like jigs you are just going to have to loose alot of them in order to fish them properly, but spoons are not one of those lures.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:30 PM

Good point, Cal. I forgot to mention the texas-rigged plastics. Definitely an effective method in heavy cover.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:55 PM

Is this what you're talking about? http://www.catcherman.com/features/r...602sportmn.htm

I've never seen or heard of this before.

I don't have any plastics, but it looks easy enough, and plastics are pretty inexpensive. How's the rest of the info in the article: accurate or no?

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:27 PM

DA...I didn't read the article, but the pics pretty much spell it out. That's what we were referring to. You can see how that would be almost totally snag-proof...except if you get wrapped in a tree and pull hard enough to expose the hook. Otherwise, it will bounce across weed beds, etc.

It works with jig heads and whatever plastic body you want...doesn't necessarily have to be a bullet weight and a 6 inch worm.

Give it a try and good luck!
Old 08-25-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack&7 View Post
That being said, the better quality spoons do last longer...so you do get what you pay for. So I have a selection of both better and lesser quality spoons in the tacklebox with similar patterns so that if you think chances are high that you will lose a few, switch to the knock-off versions.
I'm thinking this is the route I'm going to head...seems to make good sense to me.

Hopefully I can get a couple good deals at TFH's sale this week!

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 08-25-2009, 07:22 PM

How much do you save per year buying cheap knock-off spoons made in Shanghai over good quality made in Lacombe Alberta?
Old 08-25-2009, 08:26 PM

[QUOTE=Cal;375843So pretty much skip a case of beer and your covered for spoons. A couple evenings at boston pizza cost more than what you would need to buy a good selection of plugs, bucktails and jigs.[/QUOTE]

Skip a case of beer? Are you serious? I say skip taking the old lady out to Boston Pizza is a better idea.... skip a case of beer... I am shaking my head
Old 08-25-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
So pretty much skip a case of beer and your covered for spoons. A couple evenings at boston pizza cost more than what you would need to buy a good selection of plugs, bucktails and jigs.
Skip a case of beer? I think skip taking the Old Lady out to Boston Pizza is a way better idea....skip a case of beer... I am shaking my head
Old 08-26-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
There's also a big rack at The Fishin' Hole that has all sorts of spoons and big spinners on there for pretty reasonable prices.
I had a good hard look at these today at the Calgary location, and my impression is that they're junk. They didn't seem to have much weight to them, and many of them had the paint chipping off and/or scratches in the paint.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessePat View Post
Skip a case of beer? I think skip taking the Old Lady out to Boston Pizza is a way better idea....skip a case of beer... I am shaking my head

I need to get the other-half to chat with you. He frequently chants "a happy wife equals a happy life" (this is when I'm being particularly difficult). Skip the beer and take your lady out. When you think about it, what are the chances that someone else would be willing to put up with you the way she does?

Old 08-26-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
How much do you save per year buying cheap knock-off spoons made in Shanghai over good quality made in Lacombe Alberta?
That's interesting. I didn't know that Len Thompson lures were made in Lacombe. I lived there for a year in '93/'94 and have no idea where the plant is. I think their "platinum" series are great, and I'll probably purchase them over everything else in the future since I now know that they're made here in Alberta.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:03 PM

Here's their address and website,please excuse the flag waving.
http://www.lenthompson.com/
Old 08-26-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAisling View Post
I had a good hard look at these today at the Calgary location, and my impression is that they're junk. They didn't seem to have much weight to them, and many of them had the paint chipping off and/or scratches in the paint.
Duely noted.

I noticed that they were definitely as heavy as they could be, but I didn't take that close of a look at the paint jobs. I think I'll just be staying away from that rack in the future

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 08-26-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Nothing yet, just bringing it into the discussion

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 08-26-2009, 07:57 PM

So I've been thinking...

So far I've decided that for the most part I'll stay away from cheaper spoons...seems that for the small savings it's just not worth it.

For plugs I'm still up in the air. Right now I'm shorebound and don't really have anywhere to use them anyway, so it's almost a non-issue.

I'm still not sure about jigs and plastics though. I've learned to avoid the really cheap jigs as the hooks can break, but what about plastics? And are the bulk jigs (and plastics) you can buy at The Fishin' Hole decent? Seems like a good way to get a variety of sizes and shapes without breaking the bank.

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 08-26-2009, 08:05 PM

Admittedly, I know very little about jigs and plastics. I did have a good look at them (though I didn't purchase any), and I couldn't see anything that was obviously wrong with them.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Admittedly, I know very little about jigs and plastics. I did have a good look at them (though I didn't purchase any), and I couldn't see anything that was obviously wrong with them.
That's kinda where I'm at too.

I've learned from this thread that the hooks on cheap jigs can break, so of course I don't want that.

As for the plastics...I have no idea. Today I was at The Wal and took a look through their fishing section and picked up two packs of 15 single tail plastics for $.97 each, one pack of black and one pack of yellow. I think the brand is Rattlesnake? I have no idea if they're any good or not, but I have lots of 'em now!

As a sidenote, I see you on here a lot, and you remind me a lot of me. It's too bad you're down in Calgary, I'd like to meet you some time...you seem like cool beans

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 08-26-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
As for the plastics...I have no idea. Today I was at The Wal and took a look through their fishing section and picked up two packs of 15 single tail plastics for $.97 each, one pack of black and one pack of yellow. I think the brand is Rattlesnake? I have no idea if they're any good or not, but I have lots of 'em now!
My best guess is that the worst that will happen is that the cheap ones will tear easily. That's a guess, though.

Quote:
As a sidenote, I see you on here a lot, and you remind me a lot of me. It's too bad you're down in Calgary, I'd like to meet you some time...you seem like cool beans
Yeah, my notebook sits on the kitchen table and I've usually got a bunch of tabs open. At least one of those will be AOF. As I'm doing the stay-at-home mom thing right now it provides ample entertainment (with a heavy does of good knowledge) for those free moments, which are frequent but short (except for this time of night, when the other-half is watching TV, the teenager is playing video games, and the little one is sleeping).

Well, at the next mixed AOF gathering in a central location we'll have to have a beer and talk about everything that we don't know about fishing.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:37 PM

How do you guys find cheap plugs vs. expensive ones?
Old 08-26-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Yeah, my notebook sits on the kitchen table and I've usually got a bunch of tabs open. At least one of those will be AOF. As I'm doing the stay-at-home mom thing right now it provides ample entertainment (with a heavy does of good knowledge) for those free moments, which are frequent but short (except for this time of night, when the other-half is watching TV, the teenager is playing video games, and the little one is sleeping).

Well, at the next mixed AOF gathering in a central location we'll have to have a beer and talk about everything that we don't know about fishing.
You're definitely a busy character! And when I'm not at work and actually have time to be at home I've almost always got an AOF tab open in my computer/lizard/personal living room.

I'd definitely love to make it out to one of the AOF gatherings as I'm fairly new to the board and would like to get to know some of the people I'm talking to. So far I've only met BBJ and I had a good time out with him

I can't speak for your knowledge, but if we're having a chat about what *I* don't know about fishing...well...I hope there's an abundance of beer around because it'll be qute the chat!

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 08-26-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano85 View Post
How do you guys find cheap plugs vs. expensive ones?
I'm curious about this also since I don't currently own any plugs, but I'm sure sooner or later I'll find myself in a spot I can actually use one!

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 08-26-2009, 08:57 PM

We have a bunch of old plugs. I think they're "Canadian Wigglers" but I'm not 100% sure of that. They were used by my mother-in-law for years and she's now passed them onto us. They look "seasoned," but they're holding together very well. We haven't caught anything with them, but she was a very skilled and successful angler in her day. These are almost all she used.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:06 PM

Sorry the pic is fuzzy (took it on my BlackBerry in bad light), but these are the old plugs I'm talking about. These things are 15-20 years old, and were heavily used by my MIL.