Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-26-2007, 02:20 PM

Default sheep

not to hijack the thread but i woudl love to see the picture of your sheep,
Old 12-26-2007, 02:42 PM
Banned

Last edited by Mintaka; 12-29-2008 at 05:26 AM.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:35 PM

X3 for the sheep Pic!!!!
Old 12-26-2007, 03:46 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Meindles are still the best for me. The problem that ost guys have is that they get them wet wading across streams and thn get them too close to the fire to dry them off. Make sure you keep the leather clean and taken care of and put some good product on them and they will last you for a long time.
You sound like the Canadian rep nube...no matter what goes wrong with them he blames it on that...lol

My issue with them is the lining at the heel wore out and they started putting excessive pressure on my achillies tendon and I know several others that have experienced the same...but only with ones made in the last 1/2 dozen years or so....definitely not issues of drying them by the fire! The soles don't have much of life any more either. I can easily wear them flat in two years. They aren't the same quality boot they were 20 years ago when I first started wearing them.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:00 PM

I,ll send some pics in the nxt couple days,kinda new at this so I,ll have o get my better half to help me.Also got the kill on Video so that was really cool.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:35 PM

Default wow

no kidding good for you man, take care of that for sure probly be a once in a lifetime video, jeeesss i a month booked off this year in august for the bighorn sheep. smokestick,monstermuley and sheepslam are taking the shoes off the horses today, so every one is talking about next year already.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:05 PM

Hanwag.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
My biggest problem with any boots is my feet sweat so much. My socks are always wet.
Are you wearing goretex? I find my feet get overheated with goretex boots.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:24 PM

I have always worn Meindl's. This year I wore the Lowa Hunter's. So far I like them.

If you Buy Meindl's and are worried about warranty buy them from Cabela's. They will warranty them to your satisfaction.

Last edited by LongDraw; 12-26-2007 at 11:02 PM.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:14 PM

Lowa Sheephunters.....I wont go back to Meindl after wearing out a pair on the inside too easily.....the Lowas are awesome fit and come in a 'wide' fit for my feet....almost like wearing socks on the mountains....
Old 12-26-2007, 10:32 PM

Quote:
I wont go back to Meindl after wearing out a pair on the inside too easily.....
Funny, I had a pair of Lowas do the same thing. Great boot otherwise.

Chuck
Old 12-26-2007, 10:58 PM

I've owned many pairs of Meindl's. Never had a pair of them wear out on the inside?

I will admit I have jumped on the lowa sheephunter bandwagon, but less than 20 days in them- too early for a full report, but so far so good. Quite a bit cheaper than the Meindl's in price though.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:22 PM

There are a few things to look for in a boot - good toe cap, good rocker, tight/comfortable fit (should feel great when testing - don't expect to wear them in), agressive tread pattern in all directions, rugged but lightweight, and a good heavy tongue -so you don't jamb your toes on the down slopes.
Waterproofing is over-rated as your boots will get wet sooner or later - I focus on a good dry sock (daily) covered by a water proof sock- like Duponts - seal-skyns (as important as the boots, they also eliminate blisters) don't cheap out on boots though!
Old 12-27-2007, 11:43 AM

Default Kenetrek boots?

After more years of excellent service than I care to remember, I am going to replace my old Danners this year. After reading this thread, I'm leaning heavily toward the Lowa Sheephunter.
Another boot that has been suggested to me is the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme made in Italy and sold by Kenetrek Boots of Montana out of Bozeman, Montana. They price out about the same as Lowa Sheephunters. I haven't seen this brand mentioned in this thread and I was wondering if anyone knows anything about them or has any experience with them. Any information would be appreciated.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:38 PM

Default gortex

A lot of the boots mentioned are gortex. They work great for the first year or 2 and then they seem to soak up water, taking for ever to dry. Any one have any tips on extending the life of the gortex?
Old 04-03-2009, 06:36 PM

Digging up an old post, but a good one. I just got a couple of pairs (to compare) of the Cabelas Meindl Alaska Hunter & Hiker boots today. Since this post was last made in 2007 does anyone have much experience with these Cabelas Meindl boots? I'm also waiting on a pair of Lowa Tibets to arrive. I currently wear a pair of Asolo Power Matic 200s, but I'm looking at my options for a new pair of boots.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270WIN View Post
After more years of excellent service than I care to remember, I am going to replace my old Danners this year. After reading this thread, I'm leaning heavily toward the Lowa Sheephunter.
Another boot that has been suggested to me is the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme made in Italy and sold by Kenetrek Boots of Montana out of Bozeman, Montana. They price out about the same as Lowa Sheephunters. I haven't seen this brand mentioned in this thread and I was wondering if anyone knows anything about them or has any experience with them. Any information would be appreciated.
I got my new pair of these exact boots yesterday. Only a couple mile hike snowhoeing so far but they sure fit nice and feel light.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
I got my new pair of these exact boots yesterday. Only a couple mile hike snowhoeing so far but they sure fit nice and feel light.
Did you get the Lowas or Kenetreks?
Old 04-03-2009, 07:21 PM

Doh! The Kennetreks
Old 04-03-2009, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
yea sheep i have to agree with you, i sheep hunted for a month every day on two different hunts this year and my mendals are jsut not holding up, i am also going to try the lowa next, used to be mendals were the boot to own now im not sure,
how fast are you i draw 00.2
Old 04-03-2009, 07:55 PM

If you want an awesome pair of boots get Hanwags. they are AMAZING!!
Old 04-03-2009, 08:06 PM

I decided to try the Hanwags last year, and the first pair they sent me were defective, sole coming apart from the boot, they sent me a new pair, the new pair had the same problem but since I got them a few days before sheep season I patched them up myself with shoe goo, they lasted the season but are definately coming apart, I put them on last week for the first time since late last fall and they will not make it to this fall (sole separation getting pretty bad), pretty sad for a 400 buck pair of boots. I also find them less comfortable than my previous Meindls. Haven't tried the Lowa's but might, but right now am thinking of going back to Meindl's as I always liked them.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:09 PM

Congratulations on your RAM Wall! I too would be keen to see pictures.

I am on my first pair of Meindel Canadian boots and I can not say enough good things about them. I purchased them in early August and they scarcely left my feet untill the 1st of December. Much of that time was in the high country in search of sheep. Granted they are only one season old, but I have not seen any wear, or deterioration. The exception is a couple of crampon scars. The boots cant be held responsible for that. I do take very good care of them though.

Will give the Lowa's or Asolo's a try if the Meindels fail.

I had some Zamberlan boots several years ago. At first they seemed like excellent boots but after several long trips they absolutely shredded my feet. I could barely walk in them.
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 04-04-2009, 06:50 AM

Tango, that is the strange thing about the two pair of Meindel's I owned. They still look good. One pair the sole just shredded off and there was no warranty, "abuse". The second pair something shifted inside in the second season and my feet started cramping and of all things falling asleep, no warranty "abuse". At that point I'd had my fill of the Canadian warranty rep and decided I could spend that $900 else where and I say this in all seriousness, that fellow convinced me I'd hunt sheep in sandals before I'll ever use Meindels again.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
My biggest problem with any boots is my feet sweat so much. My socks are always wet.
Honda 450,

Use boot packs with a pair of Bama socks over your regular socks. The Bama's will be damp at the end of the day, but your socks will be dry. You will probably need to up a 1/2 size to 1 size in your boots.

You can get Bama socks at Marks Work Warehouse.

Rafter
Old 04-04-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolan View Post
I was hoping to get some advice on the best sheep hunting boots. I currently use a good pair of mountaineering boots but they are getting worn out. They have a full steel shank (super stiff) and were great in lots of situations. However, they are heavy. What does everyone think? Anyone have a favorite make/model?
Gnolan,

Schnees hunter boot pacs with a bama sock. I use the 12 inch tops with the bob sole. Schnee's are located in Bozeman, Montana. When the soles wear out you just simply send them back and they resew a new bottom onto the top at a reduced price. Check to see if Schnees is on the web.

Also Acton boot pacs with a bama sock. They are virtually the same as Schnees but are Canadian made and have a vee grip bottom. Hard to find though but Henry's western Wear in Rocky Mountain House carries them. You may have to order them if Henry does not have your size in stock.

I used Acton's all the time but they were hard to get sometimes so I switched to Schnees. I prefer the Schnees over the Actons, but they are virtually equal, just personal preference I guess combined with the personal service you get from Schnees. Schnees really looks after you.

Rafter
Old 04-04-2009, 11:55 AM

I have been very fortunate to have used these boots for 4 years now.
4 stone sheep trips, chasing elk, and an annual moose camp, and then shed hunting each spring. No problems, no complaints. Just wonder when they will give out.
I use Dubbin on them. The leather is showing no signs of giving in.
I will buy them again.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...927&hasJS=true
"I am fascinated by the wild, rough country sheep are found. I love the long-continued excitement of the stalk. I even enjoy the disappointments and the frustrations, those stalks that go astray when the sheep have moved, and the wind changes." - JOC

Last edited by whitetailsheds; 04-04-2009 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duk Dog View Post
Digging up an old post, but a good one. I just got a couple of pairs (to compare) of the Cabelas Meindl Alaska Hunter & Hiker boots today. Since this post was last made in 2007 does anyone have much experience with these Cabelas Meindl boots? I'm also waiting on a pair of Lowa Tibets to arrive. I currently wear a pair of Asolo Power Matic 200s, but I'm looking at my options for a new pair of boots.
I have been told that the Cabelas by Meindl are a cheap knock off of the original great boot. I have a pair of these, and they been ok through 3 elk hunting seasons. During a few sheep hunts they hurt my feet bad. During my last minuite Dall sheep hunt I lost 4 toenails and the feeling in my toes for 6 months.
The Kenetrek boots are pushed by the guy's "Huntin Fool magizine" as well as the "Latrop and Son's" boots (which I just purchaced). I'll let you know how they do.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:26 PM

Meindl used to sell "my" model in a lady's issue (full leather, no goretex, stitched, no rubber along the edge), which I think were slightly narrower, or overall less roomy. Boots fit me wonderful. Picked up another pair 1 1/2 year ago when I was in Europe, but now they are "unisex" between size 4 and 13 or some such. I have not been happy with the fit at all, and it is supposedly the same model. Paid over $500 and I'm considering buying a different brand. That said, the 20 years before that I've worn Meindl and have been happy with them.

Frans
Old 04-04-2009, 12:28 PM

I've tried on the Kenetreks when I was in Bozeman last year. Gents boots are too big, and the lady boot they sell are too narrow. It really sucks heaving small feet from hunting boot perspective. They were nice and light though, would have picked up a pair had they fit. I have a friend who swears by them.

Frans