Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-16-2017, 09:26 AM

Default Stop Bump Flushing...

Just have a question in regards to bump flushing. My 2 almost 3 year old has been bump flushing pheasants but she does point on occasion. She gets so excited when she is tracking that her running around causes the bird to flush before I can get to her. Following her is pretty tiring as she is almost at a run. We normally chase after the flush bird and always she would point if we find it again allowing me to get into position and ready. I was wondering if there's any training I can do to teach her to calm and keep her distance?
Old 10-16-2017, 09:36 AM

I found success with a remote shock collar. Was having the same trouble with my pup not responding to commands when he was so excited. Shock was used maybe 3x before he associated to the commands.

Now he behaves like a saint when wearing it, haven't had to use the shock since. Occasionally I do remind him with the Vibrate/Buzz when he's getting too excited.

RL
Old 10-16-2017, 09:44 AM

Default We need to know more.

What kind of dog, is it a "flusher" like a lab or a springer or is it a versatile like a gsp?

Have you trained a pointing dog before? Did the dog ever point? Are you a member of a club?

BTW if it is a breed that is designed to point this is not a big problem, coyotes point.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
What kind of dog, is it a "flusher" like a lab or a springer or is it a versatile like a gsp?

Have you trained a pointing dog before? Did the dog ever point? Are you a member of a club?

BTW if it is a breed that is designed to point this is not a big problem, coyotes point.
Hahah, Hi.
Its a versatile gun dog mostly pointer (munsterlander breed). She mostly points, it just when she's on scent tracking she get wildly excited and usually gets too close to the bird causing it to flush. I have trained her on the woah command and when I use it she does wait until I give the release command. I guess I should start using it when I think she too close (although.... how do you know if its too close?)
Old 10-16-2017, 11:39 AM

I use a check cord and when dog gets to wild on my command i step on the Ford and give command. Mine was who's. Keep it fun for the dog and gave some one help you out.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:55 AM

Teach your dog stop to flush, and don't reward her by following up bumped birds for a kill. They learn bad habits fast and she is probably already somewhat ingrained in her mind that the proper process (because it works) is to flush, follow, point.
Once she is working birds properly you can easily take her to follow up on missed birds - but for now she iwll need to forget about them.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
Teach your dog stop to flush, and don't reward her by following up bumped birds for a kill. They learn bad habits fast and she is probably already somewhat ingrained in her mind that the proper process (because it works) is to flush, follow, point.
Once she is working birds properly you can easily take her to follow up on missed birds - but for now she iwll need to forget about them.
Good point. We normally follow after the birds (can't really blame me for wanting to after 2-3 hours of walking and only one bird...) I'll keep that in mind next time.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:12 PM

I had this exact same problem, as a trainer who worked with my dog before I got him, allowed him to get way too close to the launcher before releasing the bird. At first, I began working him crosswind toward a planted bird on a checkcord, as soon as he made game I whoa'd him and made him stand for a good long time. As he began stopping on his own at a reasonable distance, I would flush the carded pigeon. I then bit the bullet and ordered a remote launcher. I got it on Friday night. Saturday worked him on it 4 times, launching the bird as soon as he moved an inch toward the pigeon. Yesterday he was slamming points on his own, so I was shooting the birds to reward him for getting it right.

Why in tarnations the pro did not do this I do not know. Thankfully WWbirds, densa44, and some fellows on another forum helped me out with good advice. In any event, I am glad I have the launcher.

If you are in the Edmonton area, have some pigeons, and would like to work your dog this way, I would be happy to help you out. It seems to be the most frequently recommended strategy, as you control the situation.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:04 PM

Munsters have somewhat weak point, but great drive to get the game, hence the behavior you're describing.
Are you hunting wild birds or released? How many birds did the dog hunt in its lifetime?

Don't use e-collar around birds, you will do more harm, than good.

The dog needs more experience, but you have to do your part. Don't reward incorrect behavior. If you can find another bird, rather than following up on the busted one, do it.

You can definitely use whoa! when the dog is on point, but not before that or else the dog won't learn to pin the birds. You can teach the dog to hunt slow or something like that. Do you have a word you use to calm her down when she's getting too birdy? Use it.
I sometimes say 'Shhhhhhhhhhh....' as you would to a child.

Small or Large Munster? Talk to the breeder.
PM me if you have questions.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:36 PM

Part of it is experience, IIRC you have a Small Munsterlander, my large Munsterlander is very good at foot scent tracking and when he was young he would bump lots of birds especially if the track was going down or cross wind. Now this next bit is speculation on my part but it seems he has developed the ability to sense how hot the track is and come to a point. He still bumps the odd bird but not what I would call un reasonable amounts.

X2 on the drill where you CC the dog cross wind from a bird in a trap and you pop the bird if the dog even turns to the scent, if the bumping is coming from crowding a air scented bird this should help.

And the standard don’t shoot a bumped bird applies.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h&t View Post
Munsters have somewhat weak point, but great drive to get the game, hence the behavior you're describing.
Are you hunting wild birds or released? How many birds did the dog hunt in its lifetime?

Don't use e-collar around birds, you will do more harm, than good.

The dog needs more experience, but you have to do your part. Don't reward incorrect behavior. If you can find another bird, rather than following up on the busted one, do it.

You can definitely use whoa! when the dog is on point, but not before that or else the dog won't learn to pin the birds. You can teach the dog to hunt slow or something like that. Do you have a word you use to calm her down when she's getting too birdy? Use it.
I sometimes say 'Shhhhhhhhhhh....' as you would to a child.

Small or Large Munster? Talk to the breeder.
PM me if you have questions.
The birds are released birds, and I took her out hunting since she was 8 months. She pointed to her first Hungarian at 1 and a bit (proudest moment in my life).
Old 10-16-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
Part of it is experience, IIRC you have a Small Munsterlander, my large Munsterlander is very good at foot scent tracking and when he was young he would bump lots of birds especially if the track was going down or cross wind. Now this next bit is speculation on my part but it seems he has developed the ability to sense how hot the track is and come to a point. He still bumps the odd bird but not what I would call un reasonable amounts.

X2 on the drill where you CC the dog cross wind from a bird in a trap and you pop the bird if the dog even turns to the scent, if the bumping is coming from crowding a air scented bird this should help.

And the standard don’t shoot a bumped bird applies.
Yes she a small. I don't know about scent hotness maybe 50/50. I know she had false points where the bird wasn't there....(or it ran off). Other times when she does point the damn bird is like 10 feet from her and she can see it and I can see it.
I've been watching her when she gets birdy and on a scent and she goes wild, her movement is practically running with her nose down trying to find the bird. I'll see if I can find a launcher and maybe a bunch a pigeons and practice with her.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:33 PM

Default Bumping birds

Every dog is different and has its own personality. Your dog has picked up that it can bump birds on its own and it likes it. From the sounds of it, when released into a bird field it is trying its darndest to find the birds as fast as it can find them and chase them up. I bet you when the dog tires or you are very close to the dog it begins to smarten up.
I tend to go towards "Dave Walker's " training methods and would recommend to be a little heavy handed with this dog. You are going to have to reinforce to the dog that when it finds a bird that it points it and that it maintains the point till you get there to flush the bird. This would probably involve a check cord, e collar and a bird launcher. You will figure out what works best for your dog, but remember to be consistent with your training.
As far as the dog pointing a bird that it has seen, I would work on that. Hide the training birds better so the dog cannot see the bird and has to use its nose to let you know game is around. Once it is in the scent cone of the bird, the dog should lock up and point, indicating "hey boss" there is a bird here. And your job is to kick the bird up and shoot it. It can take some work but the reward will be having a good dog to hunt over during bird season.