Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-25-2008, 04:19 PM

Default Wild boar hunting near Barrhead????

Has anyone heard of this? How does a guy get in on this?
Old 09-25-2008, 07:24 PM

hog wild in near mayerthorpe?
if so pm me for details
Old 09-26-2008, 10:03 AM

Next year the farmers from Keg River Area will be offering 50$ for a set of wild bore ears.

I was there 2 weeks ago and a friend of mine killed 8 bores this summer and I guess they are breading like rabbits...
Old 09-26-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eys8830 View Post
Next year the farmers from Keg River Area will be offering 50$ for a set of wild bore ears.

I was there 2 weeks ago and a friend of mine killed 8 bores this summer and I guess they are breading like rabbits...
For an 18 hour round trip I would want at least 8
& spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat!
Old 09-26-2008, 12:10 PM

20 years ago when these putz's started bringing in Wild boars, I said we would end up with the same problem as B.C., Texas and California. They are tough as nails and get out. The guy by Mayerthorpe had a load of them get loose a few years ago. It was even on tv that if you wanted to hunt them, just get a letter from the farmer and have at it.

Not so easy. They stay in the toughest bush and thickets they can find. They are very destructive and will kill upland , deer fawns and anything else they can sink their teeth into.

IMHO, the guys that let them get away should have to round em up and deal with them, but we know that won't happen.

Best bet ...shoot on sight, with landowners permission, which I'm sure most would be happy to provide. Problem there, is by the time you find the landowner and get permission, the beasties are back in the bush again.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:15 PM

What I found strange is that there is ZERO tracking of these animals. As a farmer you do not need to register or even keep count of how many you have!
Old 09-26-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado7 View Post
What I found strange is that there is ZERO tracking of these animals. As a farmer you do not need to register or even keep count of how many you have!
One of those Government logic things. As long as they're on your side of the fence, they are a domestic animal. On the other side, they've been declared a pest and you are obligated to "deal" with them.
Grizz
Old 09-26-2008, 08:41 PM

Default boar?

aare they wild? or do you just go out on the farm and shoot them? when can you go hunting them?!?!?!?! some1 pm me the details
Old 09-26-2008, 08:58 PM

I hear lots of people talking about them....BUT has anyone on here actually shot one? I always my buddy's uncle's cusins brother shot one a few years ago.

Would love to see some pics.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:04 PM

On wild TV not to long ago, one of the hunting shows filmed in Alberta was a boar hunt around mayorthorpe. I think it was outdoor quest. They shot a couple nice big boars. I know my uncle had them on the farm in Sask and they sure are tasty, would love to bit into one again soon.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh_3000 View Post
aare they wild? or do you just go out on the farm and shoot them? when can you go hunting them?!?!?!?! some1 pm me the details
they are not under any Alberta hunting regulation... I have been told to just shoot 'em up as you see them... but your local wildlife office could give you a more accurate answer
Old 10-01-2008, 06:53 PM

So has anyone on here actually shot one? I was going to go for a black bear on Sunday, but I've always wanted a wild piggy
Old 10-03-2008, 08:44 AM

One of the guys I work with shot one up by Keg River 2 years ago, although I never did get him to pinpoint where he got it. I have a friend who will be working for F&W in that region soon and I'm hoping he can pass information on to me for a little piggie hunt.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:28 AM

I heard there were quite a few around Mayerthorpe, and east to Sangudo. Has anyone heard the same?
Thanks for the Keg River tips, but a 9+ hour drive for piggies just doesnt work right now(maybe a spring bear, pig hunt though)
Old 10-03-2008, 09:46 AM

Yes there are lots of hogs around the mayerthorpe area. Most all the farmers that have had problems with them are more than happy to give permission to hunt them. There is no regulation to hunting them. Its anytime of the year.
As was said before, they are not easy to get, when they get any pressure at all they turn very nocturnal. Also as was said they like the thickest nastiest bush they can find. If you attempt to go after them in the woods I would suggest 12ga/ slugs. If any one is going through whitecourt, stop at the stoney creek hunting store, they have a photo of a boar killed around mayerthorpe you will not beleive how big it is.. somewhere around 900lbs.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:21 PM

The "guy by Mayerthorpe" (who is my neighbour)who raises the pigs has pretty good fencing. The reason that bunch got out is because some ******* thought it would be funny to cut the fence and let 'em out and they have long since been shot and/or rounded up.(He was caught and charged btw) There aren't too many out around Hog Wild Specialties right now but I've heard that there are a bunch east towards Sangudo. I'll try to get more info for those of you wanting some lean pork.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:12 PM

Default wild hogs

If you ever get a chance to go,,,try it youll love it. they are a tuff animal.
mine weighed 460 lb's. and it was average i was told. the real life tusks are bigger than the mount.

Picture's 121.jpg

Picture's 122.jpg

Picture's 123.jpg
Old 10-03-2008, 07:52 PM

[QUOTE=kingjames30-378;192548]If you ever get a chance to go,,,try it youll love it. they are a tuff animal.
mine weighed 460 lb's. and it was average i was told. the real life tusks are bigger than the mount.

Attachment 7161
Looks like someone just pulled his finger.

Where did you get him?
Old 10-04-2008, 06:23 AM

Wow thats a tuff mean looking critter.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 10-05-2008, 10:48 AM

I spoke with a few Mayerthorpe locals RE: the feral hogs. Most were rather tight lipped on the subject. A few seemed to think they should be able to profit from allowing the hunters to access their land, despite the complaints of the destructive nature of the pigs.

Aside from the hype and gossip on the mass number of pigs in this area, I have only met one other hunter that has actually seen feral hogs and harvested one animal from the Mayerthorpe area.

I have a few friends in the Wabamun and Entwistle area, all of whom complain about all the wild pigs in the area. Not one of them has actually seen a pig that was not pink and secured within a enclosure of some kind.

I am starting to wonder if the population is quite as high as the gossip suggests.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:27 AM

[QUOTE=raised by wolves;193192]I spoke with a few Mayerthorpe locals RE: the feral hogs. Most were rather tight lipped on the subject. A few seemed to think they should be able to profit from allowing the hunters to access their land, despite the complaints of the destructive nature of the pigs.

Aside from the hype and gossip on the mass number of pigs in this area, I have only met one other hunter that has actually seen feral hogs and harvested one animal from the Mayerthorpe area.

I have a few friends in the Wabamun and Entwistle area, all of whom complain about all the wild pigs in the area. Not one of them has actually seen a pig that was not pink and secured within a enclosure of some kind.

I am starting to wonder if the population is quite as high as the gossip suggests.[/QUOTE

That is bang on raisedbywolves. I live in the Mayerthorpe/Whitecourt area & I've run into pigs on a couple of occasions. I know several farmers who have shot more than one pig over the years, but they are out in the fields working for many days in any given year. It is very difficult to hunt them, and sightings are random & rare. I am a bowhunting nut & would love to shoot a pig with my bow, but I don't think this area is as good as all the talk seems to indicate.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:52 AM

Default keg river

yes keg river is the place to go my father was up a week ago shot 5. The farmer just hate them.Wont give any names but if you are respecefull dose not seem to be hard to get permisson and yes they do taste good hope to get one with my moose later this year. If you do get permisssion they want you to kill them all even the little ones
Old 10-05-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
I spoke with a few Mayerthorpe locals RE: the feral hogs. Most were rather tight lipped on the subject. A few seemed to think they should be able to profit from allowing the hunters to access their land, despite the complaints of the destructive nature of the pigs.

I am starting to wonder if the population is quite as high as the gossip suggests.
I just caught the tail end of the "Hunting Chronicals" on Wild TV and they just did a whole show on pigs in AB. Anyone catch where they were exactly?
Old 07-07-2009, 10:31 PM

How far north do these pig's go. I live in Grande Prairie and just wondering where to go. My freezer is getting low and I wouldnt mind trying a boar out for taste.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:02 AM

My brothers budy use to live out sangudo/mayerthorpe way and they were lucky enough to get a couple. His family and some friends farm out that way so they had some pretty good acess. Never seen one myself but they sure were tasty. Quite mean as well. Have some clients from missisippi that are to chicken to come or sit at a bear bait but they invited my buddy and I to come down pig hunting. They stand in 55 gallon drums at bait sites just in case the pig takes a run at you. I think I will stick to fighting bears.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACKLEY ABE View Post
20 years ago when these putz's started bringing in Wild boars, I said we would end up with the same problem as B.C., Texas and California.
There are no wild hogs in BC and never have been any.

But you're right about hogs being a problem. Wherever they have these critters they can't shoot, trap and poison them as fast as they multiply. I use to do a lot of hog hunting with bow, muzzleloader, slug gun and rifle when I lived south of the border and would love to hunt more hogs. But as I said we do not have any here in BC.

What is required of a non-resident to hunt these pesky critters in Alberta? Any information and invitations are welcome.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntwriter View Post
There are no wild hogs in BC and never have been any.

But you're right about hogs being a problem. Wherever they have these critters they can't shoot, trap and poison them as fast as they multiply. I use to do a lot of hog hunting with bow, muzzleloader, slug gun and rifle when I lived south of the border and would love to hunt more hogs. But as I said we do not have any here in BC.

What is required of a non-resident to hunt these pesky critters in Alberta? Any information and invitations are welcome.
no permits are required by anyone resident or non .they are now considred pests and a province wide bounty is on them now..

and as for no wild boar in bc,, i have shot 2 in the kamloops area and members of my family that live there hunt these pigs regularly
Old 07-10-2009, 07:51 AM

Thanks for the info grandslamer.

I live in Merritt which is just down the road from Kamloops. I know the whole area up to Barrier quite well and I never saw or heard of wild hogs. There used to be a place in what we call the Lower Mainland that offered high fence hog hunting but that was many years ago.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:40 PM
Banned

i was in on shooting that pig, it went just over 500 lbs not 900.It was closer to barrhead than mayerthorpe. And yes we are all tight lipped about where they are, we dont need all u city guys leaving gates open and shooting like mad men.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfkiller View Post
And yes we are all tight lipped about where they are, we dont need all u city guys leaving gates open and shooting like mad men.
Then don't bit2h when they tear up you garden or crops or chew up newborn calves. And don't expect compensation (where do you think it comes from)....DAM that attitude of your ****es me off. I grew up on a farm and we let anyone who asked hunt. In 20 years, no one ever left a gate open or shot like a mad man. Only an a22h0le would do that, AND he would not have to be a hunter....have had gates left open and that happen from neighboring farmers and real estate speculators (the ones with the slick back hair and god complex).

I grew up on a farm and your attitude embar***** me.