Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-18-2012, 05:13 PM

22-250 again. 265 yards. Ecall..

Old 01-18-2012, 05:22 PM

Here is another 25-06 dog. Ecalled to 326 yards..

Old 01-18-2012, 08:15 PM

Bearen09 why wasn't I invited? How rude.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predator Princess View Post
Bearen09 why wasn't I invited? How rude.
LOL
Old 01-19-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric2381 View Post
Most of the yotes I've shot this year have been spot and stalk. The double was off a dead cow in the field. About half of em I shot with the 22-250 with 52gr Hornady Amax. The other half was with the 243 with 58gr vmax. The one with the big hole and the innards blown out was with my 30 Gibbs and 155gr smk.

I'm away from home working right now. When I get home I'll try to get a few more.
The one with the sandel on your feet must have been a good stock....LOL
Old 01-19-2012, 10:27 AM

The vast majority of em I've got lately are a case of seeing em while driving, drive past, then walk back to position to take a shot.

Heck of a job calling in and arrowing four on one stand. That's an accomplishment.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:40 PM

In am sucking latley in the effort department, but nailed one today.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:55 PM

Default 4 dawg day!

Perfect Calling conditions today! PERFECT! No wind, sunny, -28 degrees..

1st stand: tried calling a yote in that I spooked going in, no luck,

2nd stand: Call is going for abotu 5 mins when I look over my shoulder and there is a dog about 20 yards from me. Shut the call off and tried to lip squeak him to come to my sie of the fence. He got down in a spot where I could not see him and I tired to make a move on him but he got my wind and he was gone. Turn around to the way I was facing before and there is a coyote about 325 out and looking right at me. Take a poke but missed.

3rd stand: Dry

4th stand: Set up on the side of a big hill overlooking a big flat, 2 mins in got one charging in from the right, stops at about 140 and I drop him. DRT

Next 3 stands are dry

7th stand: SPot one in the basin that I am goign to call as I am walkig in. He was not to intrested, must have been full of mice already, He buggers off, Call a bit but nothing else shows.

8th stand: Walk up to this hill with a big rock on top, Set the call up and sit down beside the rock. Look up and 2 come out around a hill about 400 yards in front of me. Turn the call on and they come charging in. Stop the front one at about 150 and miss an easy frontal shot! I was not happy!

9th stand: Go into an area where I called in a double on monday and didnt get any of them. Sat down and started to call. Was going to leave and then I hear a coyote howl. Start galssing and see 2 out on the side of a hill about a mile away. Turn on the pup in distress and they start running in. Then the batteris die on me!! Pull out the hand call and keep the pup in distress yelps going. I start moving to my left cause that is where these 2 are headed. I glance back to my right and there is one coming in about 100 yards out. Swing over to her and she spooks slightly give quick bark and she stops, Drop her. Move back to the left and keep on the pup yelps. Another one is standing out about 600 yards looking at me, another is moving hard left and is almost behind me at about 600 yards, Look over to my left again and there is another one standing there looking for the one I just shot. move back to the left and he starts moving to the left. A couple lip squeaks keeps him moving. He stops at about 250 right out in front of me. Thought he was a bit farther so I hold on top of his back. Hit him a bit far back and high but he drops. Back on the pup yelps and then I look back and the one I just shto is trying to get up. SHoot again hit him in the ass, shoot again miss. shoot again miss! Damn! Now I am running out of bullets so I get up and run out about a 100 yards, I hear another one barking at me and he is close. Shoot the gibbled one and put him down. Cant see the barking one damn! was set up for a triple!!! But I got my first double ever so I am happy!!

10th stand dry

Last stand of the day: Use my ruffidawg call and blow about 2 sets on the call and I have one charging in from the right comming down a hill into the low spot. He is about 150 out when I sit up and raise my rifle. He puts on the binders and turns to leave. I give a quick bark and he stops and turns broadside. Smoke him and he goes down. Then he gets up and starts pulling his butt along the ground to try and get away. Hit him a bit high as I did not compensate for the down hill angle. He starts to butt rub straight away from me so I put the crosshairs between his shoulders and drop him.

4 dogs in one day by myself is my personal best while hunting solo and I got my first double! Here is to many more!

That is 30 on the year! Now to hit 40!!

This is only my second year predator hunting and seeing how I only got 7 all last winter I am pretty happy! Knowing the area and knowing how to set up in this wide open country and really helped this year!!
Old 01-19-2012, 11:20 PM

Well, as Kale said before, it sure was a perfect day for calling...I cant wait to actually get out for a full day. With work and family, I havent been able to put in a sun-up to sun-down day in quite a while...oh well, at least I still manage to get out for 2 or 3 stands every few days! Did 3 stands today, got this double at 110yds on the 2nd stand. Both nice, big yotes (male and female).

Old 01-20-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
Well, as Kale said before, it sure was a perfect day for calling...I cant wait to actually get out for a full day. With work and family, I havent been able to put in a sun-up to sun-down day in quite a while...oh well, at least I still manage to get out for 2 or 3 stands every few days! Did 3 stands today, got this double at 110yds on the 2nd stand. Both nice, big yotes (male and female).

you sure have some big bodied dogs in your area magman! Congrats!
Old 01-21-2012, 01:06 PM

3 coyotes one fox.. Really cold but could only manage to get the rough ones in.. At least they won't suffer any more.. Fox is awseome..All with the Prarie Blaster and the 22-250.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:49 PM

Mangy one

Pup My buddy called in and i shot

Three i got today
Old 01-21-2012, 08:04 PM

Default Wolf!!

Last day of the late season elk draw, did not see any elk, but this is what we ended up with. He is my first wolf ever and i feel i must tell the whole,very unique story. Hope you guys enjoy reading the story as much as i enjoy telling it. We were standing in the middle of a field surrounded by thick timber, doing some "strategical planning" when out of no where a deep spine shivering howl cuts through the air. I turned and spotted the wolf half hidden by a hill around 200 yards away. This was quickly followed by the crack of my rifle, the bullet missed its mark. To my astonishment the wolf ran for me and my friend. I shot again, the wolf hit the ground.... and then after a second lept to its feet and came straight on a dead sprint for us again. I unloaded my clip unfortunately missing each time. I scrambled to find my extra bullets and load my clip, wondering if i should just grab my knife instead. At around this time a mentioned to my friend that it may be a good time to take his turn and shoot as the wolf was just 40 yards away. His first shot cracks through the air right beside the wolf which was enough to make it change course and head on a diagonal away from us. As my friend shot two more times, high and behind the sprinting wolf, i said, he is close just put the cross hairs right on it. His next shot cracked through the backside of the wolf just as it disappeared over the next hill. I reloaded and quickly ran up the hill to find the wolf trying to get away on the other side, one shot later and we hauled the well over 100 pound wolf back to my truck. I was using my Tikka T3 Hunter in .338 win mag and my friend was shooting a Savage 300 win mag, and believe me the taxidermist... is not happy about that. Enjoy the pictures!!

Old 01-21-2012, 08:18 PM

Fianally got a wolf.. One of the coolest things ever..

Old 01-21-2012, 09:45 PM

Those are some nice looking dogs there. If you ever want a hunting partner or two, let me know.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:23 PM

Skunked today. Had them yippin, and howling, just would not commit.
Too warm me thinks, not hungry yet.
Oh well give it a couple weeks.

Cheers,
Tullfan
Old 01-22-2012, 06:48 PM

Since Redfrog was too darn busy to show the greenhorn around his turf I had to get it done alone:

Is there a category for those of us that are over the hill but still act like youths??
Old 01-22-2012, 07:41 PM

Great photo there Stinkydipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnydipper View Post
Since Redfrog was too darn busy to show the greenhorn around his turf I had to get it done alone:

Is there a category for those of us that are over the hill but still act like youths??
Old 01-23-2012, 11:17 PM

I got out this morning as this was supposed to be the last cold morning for a while, and got 3. I forgot my camera , so no field pics, but I took this shot in a field right by my house. After I got home, my old lady being the good person she is, threw my camo right into the wash when I was showering to head to work, so I couldn't even fake a field shot! haha! They sure seem to moving good right now.

Old 01-25-2012, 05:31 PM

FINALLY
Last 15 min of light on Sat evening. Foxpro with a blackjack decoy. Shot at approx. 125 yrds with Rem mod 700 SPS VAR in .204. Useing Hornady ammo - 40 gr Vmax. This is addictive!

Last edited by bearb8er; 01-25-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:06 PM

Went out today even with the wind they were still out. Not running in pairs yet. Ecalled all three. 55g 22-250 layed them down....

These two are ugly real bad....YUK

Old 01-26-2012, 01:17 PM

Had a pair this am just laying in my uncles field. Hand call got em up and running, then all of a sudden, they 180 and head north! Not having good luck so far! Gonna stay persistant though.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:09 PM

Default got my first triple

went out this morning and managed to put three down. the first one i holwed in with my knight n' hale ez howler. the 2nd called in with the trusty knight n' hale double threat. 3rd on i got on the way back to the truck after shooting the 2nd one, couldnt believe it when i saw him slink out of the cow pasture right in front of me. shots we about 100-150yards. got them with my remington 750 in .243 all 3 were males, the small one on the left had some mange but overall...Great Morning!!!

i know its not a true triple, but its the best coyote hunt i have ever had
Old 01-30-2012, 06:45 PM

Got another one today. 150yds. 243 win, 58gr vmax. DRT. Zero fur damage.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post

Well it was a blizzarding type morning out. canis22-250 offered to take me out and teach me a few things about yote hunting. We made a few setups with no results, I think due to the wind. But on our way back we did a setup and I was ready, but canis was still getting set up when he started to call, "waa waa waaaaa" I told him right there, there coming!! 60yrds and 4 of them busted out of the cattails. FULL TILT I couldnt beleive it. My greenhorness got the best of me and I didnt wait till canis was fully ready to shoot but I had him in my sights. Bam, tried to reload but I didnt pull the bolt back far enough and jammed my rifle, goot thing canis was ready after he had to put one into my yote before it got into the weeds, My shot wasnt %100 but I coulnt help it. My next yote will be a better shot and it will not be so intense. My FIRST yote and it was a greaet hunt, and canis is a good guy too, cant wait to head out again
hey bud, i know your pretty green but i'd make sure you don't have your rifler pointed at your head next time your posing for a photo.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:40 AM

Old 02-02-2012, 09:13 PM

Default another good day!

Great Day! Out with a buddy today to do some yote smashing! Breaking in the New Prairie Blaster I got From Fish_e_o

1st stand - Had 2 come in but they skirted a hill and we thought they would pop out the other side but they just disappeared!

2nd stand - Had a group howling off to the north west, then I spot 2 to the north east just sitting there looking at us on a hill about 500 yards away. They just turned and walked away! Frustrating!

Then It starts!

3rd Stand - Start up the foxpro and then I hear my buddy saying 2 are coming in. See 2 hard chargers coming straight in. Then another pops up around a close hill. Take that one and drop him. The others peace out after a couple warning shots over their heads!

4th stand - Set up in a sweet looking spot on a hill. Call with the lighting jack on the foxpro for about 5 mins then switch the pup screams. See 2 crest the hill a LONG WAYS away. They are comming straight in on my side. First one gets in to about 70 yards and he gets hammered. DRT. Other one took off.

5th stand - Set up in another sweet looking spot. Call for maybe 3 mins and one pops up over the hill about 200 yards away and is just staring at the call. Wait for my buddy as I think he is going to shoot (I can;t see him due to a small rise between us) So I take the shot and put him down. Crap picture sorry kinda dark due to the sun. Really long fluffy fur on this guy, a few burrs.

6 and 7 stands are dry

8th stand - Start calling and about 8 mins in my buddy says he sees one out on the crest of a hill. I put my gun up to have a look but cant see it. Look back towards my buddy and there is a yote about 10 feet right behind him charging right at the call that is sitting between us!! my buddy did not see him due to him watching the other one! I dont know whos eyes were bigger mine or the yotes! It sees me spin now that it is only about 10 yards from the call and maybe 20 yards from me and takes off over the hill. I stand up and run over the hill after him and take a running shot but missed. My buddy did not even see the dog until I got up and started running after it! lol we had a good laugh about this one.

9th stand of the day - Call is only playing for about 5 mins when this super pale female comes ripping down the lease road. Again on my side . the pup screams were playing so i quickly muted the call and she slams on the breaks and stares in the direction of the call. About 130 yards quartering to me. I must be still rattled from the man eater yote on the last stand and I miss the shot. Starts running and my buddy gets a poke but misses. I then find the dog in the scope and at 200 yards I dirt roll her!

Loving this new Prairie Blaster!! going to be sweet for the windy days! Ran it on half volume and had dogs coming in froma coule km away!

Old 02-03-2012, 08:22 AM

I haven't dropped a coyote in 5-6 years! Haven't made the time to get out there until the past few days.

That said, I'm only able to sneak away from work here for an hour or so at a time which kinda limits where I can go. I picked up a mouth caller and I've been trying every wounded prey call I can, with minimal luck.

Yesterday I switched things up because I'd read somewhere that we're into breeding season now. I set up and tried male interrogation howl, followed by a few female invitation howls. Within 5 minutes I had a big male with his chest all puffed out come trottin' in from my 9 o'clock. I wasn't set up to shoot left and was along a tree line. By the time I had my rifle swung over he was already high tailing it back into the trees.

No dice, but it was rewarding to finally figure out what gets these guys moving up here.

Here's a picture of an odd coyote I shot back in 2005-2006.

It was boxing day and the girls headed to the mall, so I headed out to scout mulies. I come up on one coulee and saw this girl running up the opposite side. Went home and got my .22-250 and headed back out.

I knew the field she had took off into and there was only one more coulee in the middle of it so I came up on that one. Sure enough she was heading out the opposite side and I got a lucky shot on her while she was running away.

Ended up giving the dog to a buddy/taxidermist to put in his show room on the condition that he didn't sell it to the guys who were calling and trying to buy the sucker.

It was an odd year for color phase coyotes in Swift Current then. Here's a picture of my white one mounted up next to two black ones harvested in the same area. (Swift Current)

Old 02-03-2012, 10:17 AM

I like that white one. Nice job!!
Old 02-03-2012, 11:34 AM

Default First yote EVER!!

Just thought I would share a pic of my very first coyote.

Attachment 46754

Last edited by KegRiver; 04-07-2012 at 10:40 AM.