Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-28-2011, 09:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfish View Post
the average alberta hunter should be allowed to buy that tag for a reasonable amount There are better sollutions than that !
With dollar 1.29 diesel fuel 250 dollar dumpy hotel rooms and dinner for 2 at A@W for 27 bucks Ya I think a sheep is worth 600$ all day long.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher View Post
Y not make it a pay to play deal 600 a tag over the counter should do it
I'd be all over that. But most would sooner freebee them all the way to non hunting status and defend that position to their buddy on their 4g IPhone while sitting in their $45000 trucks sipping a $4 latte between talking about the latest episode of Whack em and Stack em that's included with their $150 a month subscription on Bell Express Vu.

Talk about entitlement.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-28-2011, 09:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I'd be all over that. But most would sooner freebee them all the way to non hunting status and defend that position to their buddy on their 4g IPhone while sitting in their $45000 trucks sipping a $4 latte between talking about the latest episode of Whack em and Stack em that's included with their $150 a month subscription on Bell Express Vu.

Talk about entitlement.
Oh forgot about those guys! Same dudes that buy dumpy rifles in hardware store calibers in case they forget the ammo on their big hunt
Old 12-28-2011, 11:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
There has been something more recent though. What did they die from?
I am not sure I figured that most were from the predetors.. I was told by the ranger there is a few diffrent kitty cats in the area and a bunch of wolves....
Old 12-28-2011, 11:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Y not make it a pay to play deal 600 a tag over the counter should do it
You buying my tag... Thanks.

Quote:
With dollar 1.29 diesel fuel 250 dollar dumpy hotel rooms and dinner for 2 at A@W for 27 bucks Ya I think a sheep is worth 600$ all day long.
I dont drive a diesel and sur the heck dont stay in a hotel and buy junk food so what is your point???? Just cause you do....

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Talk about entitlement.
Hey Chuck.. Not everybody falls in to this catagory.... Paying $600 for a tag takes alot of people rite out of being able to go up the mountain.... I am not for this as hunting is turning in to a rich mans sport which is BS....

Quote:
Oh forgot about those guys! Same dudes that buy dumpy rifles in hardware store calibers in case they forget the ammo on their big hunt
It is funny alot of people that have killed probably the ton 30 rams in the world probably killed them with one of these crappy guns.... You sir must have a $6000+ christensen rifle in a yuppy caliber...
Old 12-28-2011, 11:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.C View Post

I dont drive a diesel and sur the heck dont stay in a hotel and buy junk food so what is your point???? Just cause you do....

Hey Chuck.. Not everybody falls in to this catagory.... Paying $600 for a tag takes alot of people rite out of being able to go up the mountain.... I am not for this as hunting is turning in to a rich mans sport which is BS....

It is funny alot of people that have killed probably the ton 30 rams in the world probably killed them with one of these crappy guns.... You sir must have a $6000+ christensen rifle in a yuppy caliber...
Was more of a point of the prices of things these days I have yet to see a bag lady on the mountain

Hunting is a rich mans sport sorry

No lol I don’t have a 6000$ Christensen rifle like I said I don’t shoot junk
Old 12-28-2011, 11:49 AM
Banned

Quote:

If that’s all it takes to get you to stop sheep hunting then my plan would work
Old 12-28-2011, 11:51 AM

IMO the government needs to get the cattle out of the forestry, have a cull on wolves, coyotes and open cougar up in the mountains, burn a bunch of bush to improve and expand winter range, limit some access especially easy access on to winter range, limit ATV access in many places, horse access as well in others, gradually phase in full curl with no draw, perhaps put 4/5 curl on draw for a few years until it is full curl throughout the province. I am sure I'll get an earfull from some but just my opinion.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
If that’s all it takes to get you to stop sheep hunting then my plan would work
Good luck with that.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Was more of a point of the prices of things these days I have yet to see a bag lady on the mountain

Hunting is a rich mans sport sorry

No lol I don’t have a 6000$ Christensen rifle like I said I don’t shoot junk
No it sure is not.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
IMO the government needs to get the cattle out of the forestry, have a cull on wolves, coyotes and open cougar up in the mountains, burn a bunch of bush to improve and expand winter range, limit some access especially easy access on to winter range, limit ATV access in many places, horse access as well in others, gradually phase in full curl with no draw, perhaps put 4/5 curl on draw for a few years until it is full curl throughout the province. I am sure I'll get an earfull from some but just my opinion.
I have seen studies where domestic sheep have impacted wild sheep but nothing about cattle. The cows I thought were being used to keep the brush and foliage under control.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
No it sure is not.
Rich could be defined as anything you want Justin to a bag lady hunting is out of reach. Don’t you think a trophy sheep is worth more then 52$ take the bottles back if you have too………
Old 12-28-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad mountain mike View Post
I have seen studies where domestic sheep have impacted wild sheep but nothing about cattle. The cows I thought were being used to keep the brush and foliage under control.
nope they got wild horses doing that task,,,,lol
Old 12-28-2011, 12:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Rich could be defined as anything you want Justin to a bag lady hunting is out of reach. Don’t you think a trophy sheep is worth more then 52$ take the bottles back if you have too………
It is funny you say that as once I had to take bottles back to buy a tag as payday was not till the fallowing Friday. Thank god for cheap gas and a 4 banger car I had a full tank in. Also $50 is more than enough as it just goes in to a general revenue account. If it went to help sheep yes I agree but 600 get real.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
on the right track until you went to full curl....then draw. 328 was full curl...429 was full curl...326 was full curl...the lions were full curl...ed up in a ball....lol
Old 12-28-2011, 12:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Also $50 is more than enough as it just goes in to a general revenue account. If it went to help sheep yes I agree but 600 get real.

Oh well I better get out there and kill them all while I can. I keep forgetting this is Alberta rape and pillage till it is all gone. Glad sheep hunting is affordable to the guy living in the card board box in down town Calgary it’s only fair
Old 12-28-2011, 12:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Oh well I better get out there and kill them all while I can. I keep forgetting this is Alberta rape and pillage till it is all gone. Glad sheep hunting is affordable to the guy living in the card board box in down town Calgary it’s only fair
Hey if you want to pay more tax send the gov you 600. They will be happy for to take it from you. How many rams have you got by the way??????
Old 12-28-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Well here we go with "only the elite should be able to attitude".....jack the prices up so only the wealthy and "Elite" can hunt sheep, give your head a shake.

Properly manage the resource and the non-resident tags......thats a good place to start in all this.

LC
Old 12-28-2011, 12:59 PM
jrs

Wow, hard to believe the high tag cost idea was considered! I did a 10 day sheep hunt up north this year, food, gas, and one night in hotel due to injury first trip out, still under $700. That's including gear wear too. Keep it in reach for the average guy...
Old 12-28-2011, 01:04 PM
Banned

Laughing. 600 bucks wealthy and elite give your head a shake $50 what a joke. Kill them all boys
Old 12-28-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Laughing. 600 bucks wealthy and elite give your head a shake $50 what a joke. Kill them all boys
LOL, you are the one who supported higher tag costs.....what was your reason for supporting that? was it to eliminate some of the competition or was it with hopes the extra money raised goes back into the resource?

I am willing to bet alot of people would not buy a sheep tag if it cost $600.....and that was your point...right? to weed out the people who either can afford, aren't willing to pay, or aren't "serious" enough to go after sheep?

Curious as to you comment about $50 bucks being a joke what is that in reference to?

LC
Old 12-28-2011, 01:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
LOL, you are the one who supported higher tag costs.....what was your reason for supporting that? was it to eliminate some of the competition or was it with hopes the extra money raised goes back into the resource?

I am willing to bet alot of people would not buy a sheep tag if it cost $600.....and that was your point...right? to weed out the people who either can afford, aren't willing to pay, or aren't "serious" enough to go after sheep?

Curious as to you comment about $50 bucks being a joke what is that in reference to?

LC
Extra money to the sheep resource yes. Yup would weed out a lot of guys. $51.31 is a joke
Old 12-28-2011, 01:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
You are special. How is paying more do anything?????

Also still waiting. How many have u got?????????
Old 12-28-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Extra money to the sheep resource yes. Yup would weed out a lot of guys. $51.31 is a joke
Ok.... well you just proved my point then.

LC
Old 12-28-2011, 01:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
How does extra money do anything. It does not go to our sheep it goes to everything but our wildlife. Font you get that??????? Use your brain.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
You are special. How is paying more do anything?????

Also still waiting. How many have u got?????????
Special no I am not able to take the bottles back for extra cash yes. Ah the pics or it didn’t happen guy bothers you not knowing eh?......Grin
Old 12-28-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad mountain mike View Post
Cattle can limit forage for sheep on critical winter habitat, cause avoidance of habitat especially during lambing and shortly after lambing, screw up mineral licks or cause less use of them by sheep. As for keeping bush under control they would be far better off doing more prescribed burns and stop putting out naturally caused fires. The only way to improve or increase sheep habitat is to burn the bush. With better habitat you get better sheep quality and sheep better able to resist lungworm and pnemonia during high stress conditions.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Special no I am not able to take the bottles back for extra cash yes. Ah the pics or it didn’t happen guy bothers you not knowing eh?......Grin
I was a kid when I did that. Haha. No I want to know if you have a ram or not as guys with out have a whole other opinion on how we should do it as they just have not earned one yet.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I was a kid when I did that. Haha. No I want to know if you have a ram or not as guys with out have a whole other opinion on how we should do it as they just have not earned one yet.
I'm not sure I'd make that blanket statement about guys with rams and guys without rams. Several guys I know have not killed a ram but hunted for 5-10+ years for one, understand sheep and have a true passion for sheep hunting. Others have shot one in a year or two. Does killing truly mean that a person understands or have a fully different opion on the matter? I highly doubt it from what I've seen....and earning one comes in a whole lot of different experiences and cant really be measured against another persons view of 'earning' IMO....
Old 12-28-2011, 03:54 PM

I'm going to go with no Rams for gopher as he is avoiding the question, and I would say it takes the average sheep hunter about 10yrs. to get a sheep and sure the odd nube gets one the first year.