Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-09-2013, 04:51 PM

Default Codfather Charters, Port Hardy

Hey guys, I'm in desperate need for some reviews. I am heading out to Port Hardy in the next two weeks and some severely poor reports regarding the quality of the guides and business practices at Codfather were just recently brought to my attention. In order to avoid wasting a trip, can anyone confirm or deny this? Is anyone familiar with the charter? Thanks in advance, any help is truly appreciated!!
Old 07-09-2013, 07:22 PM

I went with them on a one morning trip in about 2000. Wife ended up with a 38# chinnook. I had just pulled in and it was their guides day off so the owner had took us. I ended up with a 25# salmon. Next year we booked a trip and I got a 200# halibut. The owner took us that time as well. He does get a little cranky if salmon are hitting but not getting hooked but he knows where the fish are for sure.
So long it's the same owner
Old 07-09-2013, 08:30 PM

Well Ill chime in as a fellow fisherman in the area and not as a guest I have heard bad "stories" about there on water ethics with other boats and they don't seem like a very friendly bunch.
I think they fish ok as they typically have 4 boats in the water but they don't seem to like to use gas as they try and stay closer from what ive seen.

Port Hardy as a rule has a pretty tight "guide code" where no info is never shared with anyone not complaining but stories I have heard and seen first hand when Codfather boats "thought" they were being followed wasn't cool.

As a customer do they not have a testimonials page or contacts?
for future stays or visits I would suggest Dave and David at Serengeti Charters
Mike at Tides and Tales or Wade at Bear Cove!!!

Good luck on your trip Port Hardy is a great place.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:44 PM

I have been with Mike at Tides and Tales, great guy lots of laughs. Great scenery. The salmon fishing was off the year I went but the bottom fishing was excellent. We even watched a couple wolves on an island chase a deer into the ocean and had a pod of orcas swim directly under our boat only feet away from us.

I do know that the Codfather guides go out on some pretty crazy waters when the rest of the guides stick closer to land....there was kind of an unspoken air around them....if you know what I mean.

LC
Old 07-22-2013, 05:10 PM

Thanks for the input guys, it was much appreciated!

However, after experiencing the charter myself I have to deny all accusations. The guides were some of the most knowledgeable and hardworking ones I have ever come across in many trips. They effectively got us on fish of great quality, even on days when we had to stay close to Hardy. It was quite common for us to be catching while those around us struggled!!

In terms of the manner in which the business was run, the owner was well involved and truly concerned with keeping our group happy. All in all, I would definitely go back and I strongly encourage anyone heading out to Port Hardy to go out with them!