Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-03-2013, 04:08 PM

Default winter bow river help

First off, I know how protective you guys are on your hotspots and hot flies. all I want is a point in the right direction.

I don't have much experience at all with the bow, none in winter. I was wondering about some good places and techniques that could land me a fish or two.

I live between Priddis and Bragg creek and go to school in okotoks so I'm looking for some good winter spots in chaparral or downstream to deerfoot.

If anybody wants to take me out with them I would love to have somebody show me the ropes firsthand. Also don't have much experience nymphing but i tie my own.

Thanks!

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 01-03-2013, 07:39 PM

Nymph some chironomids, pheasant tails, S.J. worms. Swing some wooly buggers. Look for some spots where the water falls over a riffle into a deeper,slower run/hole. Slower, deeper water tends to hold fish in winter. Just get out and start walking. I'm sure you'll see people in good looking spots that you can note to try.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:36 PM

Fish creek Provincial Park, Head upstream from the day use area.

Look for deeper holes as said above, and fish them hard.

San juan worms, bloodworms, chironomids, leeches underneath an indicator on a 10-12' leader will work. You want your flies right on the bottom, the fish dont move very far and expend very little energy in the winter.

You can swing streamers too. Look for days where the weather is above zero, it will prevent slush conditions that make it tough to get the flies down.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
Fish creek Provincial Park, Head upstream from the day use area.

Look for deeper holes as said above, and fish them hard.

San juan worms, bloodworms, chironomids, leeches underneath an indicator on a 10-12' leader will work. You want your flies right on the bottom, the fish dont move very far and expend very little energy in the winter.

You can swing streamers too. Look for days where the weather is above zero, it will prevent slush conditions that make it tough to get the flies down.
X2

Upstream from Policemans Flats has some decent water that holds fish in the winter as well. Watch for floating ice...it can wreck a good day
Old 01-04-2013, 11:04 AM

Yes While winter fishing is fun, it cant be borderline suicidal. Pay attention to everything around you. There is so much that can go so wrong, leaving you seriously injured or worse.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:35 PM

Thanks for the warning Fishonthefly, I don't plan on wading in the winter. I am a half decent distance caster with a 9.5' 7wt and solid airflo nymph line. I don't need to be too close to danger.

Respect the river!

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 01-06-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
Thanks for the warning Fishonthefly, I don't plan on wading in the winter. I am a half decent distance caster with a 9.5' 7wt and solid airflo nymph line. I don't need to be too close to danger.

Respect the river!
I was out the other day and the banks seemed pretty decent. The ice was sturdy, but I still didn't venture out in area's I knew were deeper than 1 or 2 feet. Even waded in near chest deep and kept nice and warm. Amazing what layers will do for you

Good luck, i got the big old stinky skunk
Old 01-06-2013, 11:11 AM

This is a great thread with great information. I too am wanting to start winter fishing the bow. I don't have alot of experience on this river during the warmer months, so every bit of info is appreciated.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:08 AM

Iv had some dandy days on the glenmore section of the bow river swinging streamers. Big streamers and heavy line on my 8wt and I tied into some of my best days on the bow. Look for deeper water and water that has rocks or obstacles sticking out of the water, the midges like to group on there and the browns like to take advantage of it. It's also a really good time of year to sigh fish close to the banks when they're feeding on midges if you know where to look they will be there all season tight to shore. It's pretty funny to watch people
Wade out when it's freezing out but I watch and laugh while I'm on shore staying warm.

Check out the roof of his mouth.

Double bunnies
Big black leeches
CH muddler minnows
Clousers
And trail it with a cronie.