Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-20-2018, 09:57 PM

Default 60 year old man shot & killed while hunting

https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/ne...cident-261049/

Know what the hell you are shooting at, and if you don’t, don’t shoot.
Stupid stupid stupid
Old 11-20-2018, 10:07 PM

Sad turn of events. We had a man slip and fall this year shooting his best friend through the side, killed him dead. I doubt he will ever go hunting again. I feel for all involved!
Old 11-20-2018, 10:23 PM

Seems like it happens every year, somebody shooting at something they 'thought' was a deer. Sorry, you didn't know what the target was, no positive ID, don't shoot. It's not a hunting 'accident', is negligence leading to death. Too sad.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-20-2018, 10:37 PM

More and more I think that wearing at least some blaze orange or another bright color should be mandatory. Not that I am removing blame from the person who fired but people need to protect themselves. A bright colored hat or gloves won't scare off game.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Seems like it happens every year, somebody shooting at something they 'thought' was a deer. Sorry, you didn't know what the target was, no positive ID, don't shoot. It's not a hunting 'accident', is negligence leading to death. Too sad.
I agree and where I hunt I don’t normally see anyone but after I ran into some guy a couple years ago I creseted over a hill and seen his hunter orange toque on a guy and turn around and headed the other way and 15 seconds later the guy let’s off a round and smokes a beauty of a buck right in between me and him where I saw him last. After that I where my Hunter orange . I wonder what the situation in this case was, did he see something and shot or did he just shoot in the bush where the willows were moving and crunching ? Sad day for everyone

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 11-20-2018, 10:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith88 View Post
More and more I think that wearing at least some blaze orange or another bright color should be mandatory. Not that I am removing blame from the person who fired but people need to protect themselves. A bright colored hat or gloves won't scare off game.
Although I agree with you wrt taking responsibility for your own safety, i’m Pretty sure that wearing blaze orange is already mandatory in NS. Not enough info in the article to positively determine what went on out there IMO. Very unfortunate nonetheless.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Agree I personally always have some neon orange on either and hat or hoody and bright colour jacket etc.. dress in full Camo ... if the animal can’t see you neither can other hunters...
Old 11-21-2018, 04:44 AM

I feel for the victims family and of course the guy that pulled the trigger, likely a friend or relative as they were hunting together. A quick search of the hunting regulations in Nova Scotia revealed that It is mandatory for anyone hunting to wear a cap / hat AND a vest / coat colored hunter orange during the rifle season, not during bow or black powder season or if in a tree stand, so we can assume that the hunter who was shot " should have " been wearing a blaze orange hat / cap and coat / vest which should have easily been seen by the hunter that shot him.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:01 AM

Hunter orange has been mandatory in NS for 40 years or so yet I would speculate they have one of the highest "accident" rates in the country.

Orange makes you a more easily obtainable target, nothing more. Everyone knows how important bullet placement is and to be sure of your shot. Just exactly where was this guy placing a shot on an animal? Do you really believe that making yourself more visible is a good idea with wing nuts shooting at movement and sounds?

Good on folks to dance on the grave of a victim of crime to promote an agenda but we are talking a 40 year old shooting his hunting partner who he knew was in the woods with him. No amount of legislation or wardrobe changes is going to fix that.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Blaze orange is mandatory where this shooting took place. It used to be mandatory in Alberta, but since the requirement was dropped, there has not been a noticeable increase in accidental shootings. Game animals are not orange, yellow, red, blue or camo, so anyone that points a firearm at any of those colors is being totally irresponsible. This is a sad situation, but it was the result of a negligent discharge, by an irresponsible hunter, nothing more.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:12 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
True but I am on the other side of that fence.....saskabush....hang a orange hat in a tree to let people know that a hunter is around especially when I was hunkered down out of sight....man people would stop and scope that hat

Walk in or out with a head lamp on....those ball hats with the lights on the brim are the cats azz.....

Seen some bad weapon handling in the past and it will continue, sad but true...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-21-2018, 07:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Sad turn of events. We had a man slip and fall this year shooting his best friend through the side, killed him dead. I doubt he will ever go hunting again. I feel for all involved!
Here begs another question. Why would you walk around with a loaded firearm? For the 2 seconds it takes to load it, it's not going to make a big difference on running game. Just can't fix stupid.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:39 AM

Guys, let me tell my story few years back. I was almost shot by my highly qualified hunting partner, on my own land, with my rifle, driving my scout 4x4. Let me explain; we split up early in morning, tracked deer all day, then I was tracking last deer back onto my 1/4. All of sudden bullet cracked through willows and hit ground in front of me, then second shot behind me. I hit the dirt, thought game over some idiot shooting at me near dark. Then saw vehicle leave from high ridge, my scout, kept following track and saw where deer was standing. It lined up with my hunting buddy, all three of us lined up. When I talked buddy later he said got 2 shots at deer.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
Here begs another question. Why would you walk around with a loaded firearm? For the 2 seconds it takes to load it, it's not going to make a big difference on running game. Just can't fix stupid.
Still hunting, weapon is at the ready, round chambered, thumb on safety and finger off trigger....stalking up on prey....split seconds sometimes...still no excuse for popping a round at an un identified target....

Old 11-21-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Guys, let me tell my story few years back. I was almost shot by my highly qualified hunting partner, on my own land, with my rifle, driving my scout 4x4. Let me explain; we split up early in morning, tracked deer all day, then I was tracking last deer back onto my 1/4. All of sudden bullet cracked through willows and hit ground in front of me, then second shot behind me. I hit the dirt, thought game over some idiot shooting at me near dark. Then saw vehicle leave from high ridge, my scout, kept following track and saw where deer was standing. It lined up with my hunting buddy, all three of us lined up. When I talked buddy later he said got 2 shots at deer.
Backdrop is Importent too....your a lucky individual for sure.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Had similar thing happen to me, shot a mulie buck on a cutline running up a hill, several does with him, does scattered down the cutline and stopped on a ridge milling about. Car pulls up on road at bottom of hill, front and rear windows roll down, guns come out each window, they start blazing away at the does which are directly in line between me and the shooters. multiple shots hitting the ground all around me I yell and run into a dip, they saw/heard me when I ran, the car takes off in a big hurry. Shook me up pretty good.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Had similar thing happen to me, shot a mulie buck on a cutline running up a hill, several does with him, does scattered down the cutline and stopped on a ridge milling about. Car pulls up on road at bottom of hill, front and rear windows roll down, guns come out each window, they start blazing away at the does which are directly in line between me and the shooters. multiple shots hitting the ground all around me I yell and run into a dip, they saw/heard me when I ran, the car takes off in a big hurry. Shook me up pretty good.
Yup,laying on the leeward side of a hill overlooking a coulee, grid road behind us 200 yards, shooting starts, deer running past us, reminded me of working the rifle butts back in my army days.....stay safe out there folks, just like life you gotta do the thinking for the simpletons of society

Old 11-21-2018, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Hunter orange has been mandatory in NS for 40 years or so yet I would speculate they have one of the highest "accident" rates in the country.

Orange makes you a more easily obtainable target, nothing more. Everyone knows how important bullet placement is and to be sure of your shot. Just exactly where was this guy placing a shot on an animal? Do you really believe that making yourself more visible is a good idea with wing nuts shooting at movement and sounds?

Good on folks to dance on the grave of a victim of crime to promote an agenda but we are talking a 40 year old shooting his hunting partner who he knew was in the woods with him. No amount of legislation or wardrobe changes is going to fix that.
x2. We don't have a Blaze orange rule anymore and we have few accidents. vSome of the US jurisdictions where they have a visibility rule and large numbers of hunters can count on accidents happening.

Grizz
Old 11-21-2018, 08:21 AM

A better question in all of this is "why do those people have firearms in their hands in the first place?"

This probably won't be popular, but perhaps its too easy to attain AND KEEP a PAL. I'd sooner see a more rigorous course and test, along with RECERTIFICATION rather than just re-application. As someone who does it the right way, this won't impact me at all, but perhaps weeds out a few who don't.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiewolf View Post
A better question in all of this is "why do those people have firearms in their hands in the first place?"

This probably won't be popular, but perhaps its too easy to attain AND KEEP a PAL. I'd sooner see a more rigorous course and test, along with RECERTIFICATION rather than just re-application. As someone who does it the right way, this won't impact me at all, but perhaps weeds out a few who don't.

The sad fact is, that no matter what testing you make a person go through, you can't know how that person will react in the field, when they think they see an animal. Some people simply have no common sense.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
I can see walking around with a loaded gun, just not one up the spout until it is time to shoot.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:35 AM

Default Hunting death

If I was the victim in this type of indecent, I would want the story to be published in every set of hunting regulations every year and posters where ever ammunition was sold. I would hope to make any people out with guns aware, make them think beyond themselves.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hardin View Post
I can see walking around with a loaded gun, just not one up the spout until it is time to shoot.
Just common sense really, when you are walking and the potential to trip or fall is always possible DO NOT HAVE YOUR GUN LOADED. Some people are just constantly rolling the dice with regard to gun safety and sooner or later you or your hunting partner may pay the price.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:49 AM

Default Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiewolf View Post

People do all the right things during recerts etc which turns into a cash grab...

Stiffer penalties, fines etc.

Old 11-21-2018, 10:12 AM

Guys, deer hunting where lots of hunters chasing same deer in smaller area higher probability of accident. In big bush chasing elk & moose, sometimes do not see another hunter for days lower probability. However everyone stay safe out there while handling firearm, with scope/binoculars no excuse for not recognizing your target. You need to count number of points most times.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:42 AM

Very unfortunate incident, but Im also surprised that more people aren’t shot with how crazy it gets and people shooting from roads and being idiots. I still wear orange, orange toque and my heat seat attached to my beltloop orange side out. But people drive past my truck into fields I’m hunting and when they drive by me or park by me, I just don’t move even though I want to walk to my truck to get to another spot. I don’t because they will probably scope me or worse, shoot. Fellow outdoorsmen don’t share the same respect for it anymore, I’ve heard a couple stories this year and it seems like we’re all working against each other. Just what the antis want, us against each other and people being shot in hunting accidents.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
I feel for the victims family and of course the guy that pulled the trigger, likely a friend or relative as they were hunting together. A quick search of the hunting regulations in Nova Scotia revealed that It is mandatory for anyone hunting to wear a cap / hat AND a vest / coat colored hunter orange during the rifle season, not during bow or black powder season or if in a tree stand, so we can assume that the hunter who was shot " should have " been wearing a blaze orange hat / cap and coat / vest which should have easily been seen by the hunter that shot him.

I don't feel bad for the guy who pulled the trigger, at all! He killed a man because he wasn't positive of his target. The deceased will never see another sunrise or sunset. His family and friends will never share anything with him ever again.

I feel bad for the shooters friends and family, but the shooter can rot.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
It may have been unloaded for all you know. This is not an accidental discharge by the sounds of it. He likely hit what he was aiming at. That seems to be the issue here....target identification
Old 11-21-2018, 12:35 PM

This is ridiculous. When do these people identify their target? When they're standing over it looking down on it? When I'm looking at a deer, the first thing I want to know is if it's a mulie or a whitetail because I don't have a draw for a mulie. Actually that's not true. The first thing I want to know when looking at a deer is if it's a deer!!! How you can get a person mixed up with a deer, elk, moose, water buffalo, elephant..... is beyond me. This guy should have a saying named after him.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:47 PM
Banned

A few years ago, hunting elk in thick cover, I get cow calls in reply to my bull elk, grunt/ bugle sounds, closer and closer the cow calls continue, finally within 40 - 50 yards I can make out something making its way to my location, finally I can hear whispering talk, TWO idiotic suicidal morons are carrying a cloth cow elk decoy through the thick bush, answering with cow chirps , I kept still behind a large poplar tree, when they were about 20 feet from me I loudly commented " I should get your phone numbers from you friggen idiots, so I contact your next if kin later today when some trigger happy novice blows your stupid head off,

Morons