Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-13-2012, 07:55 AM

Default Hunting alone - Bears

So yesterday afternoon I was calling for elk on the ground. Shortly after a huge bear came into sight at 70 yards and was walking at a 45 degree angle back from my right. I am convinced it was coming into my elk calls. It was huge. I could not tell if it was a black or a grizz and really didn't want to wait around to find out. It didn't see me, so I immeidiately, but quietly walked the other way and then down the mountain out to my truck.

Being alone with my bow and bear spray, I just didn't want to take a chance on it coming closer to find out if nothing would have happened.

I have been within 30 yards of some big grizzlies and within 50 yards of a few black bears. Never have been charged or even had a "bad encounter" most times they look at me and continue on their way or I just leave.

Since this one was coming to my elk calls, ( or at least that's what I think ) did I do the right thing and just leave? What would you have done?

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:41 AM
Banned

this is why you should always buy all the tags you can

also the money goes into conservation
Old 09-13-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briverb View Post
So yesterday afternoon I was calling for elk on the ground. Shortly after a huge bear came into sight at 70 yards and was walking at a 45 degree angle back from my right. I am convinced it was coming into my elk calls. It was huge. I could not tell if it was a black or a grizz and really didn't want to wait around to find out. It didn't see me, so I immeidiately, but quietly walked the other way and then down the mountain out to my truck.

Being alone with my bow and bear spray, I just didn't want to take a chance on it coming closer to find out if nothing would have happened.

I have been within 30 yards of some big grizzlies and within 50 yards of a few black bears. Never have been charged or even had a "bad encounter" most times they look at me and continue on their way or I just leave.

Since this one was coming to my elk calls, ( or at least that's what I think ) did I do the right thing and just leave? What would you have done?

Any advice is appreciated.
No question you did the right thing.Especially not knowing for sure if its a grizz or black.Avoiding trouble when you"re alone in the bush is always the best move ,especially when it can be life threating.Only a fool temps fate.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:07 PM

You did the right thing. Live to hunt another day. Be careful going out again.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:17 PM

Yes better safe than sorry out in the bush, especially with bears.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:38 PM

Default ...bears...

You did the right thing. Here are a few methods that I have implemented into my bowhunting adventures.

To begin with, that is why I always buy a bear tag. I likely would never shoot a bear otherwise, but, in the event that I would feel I’d have to shoot one, I want to be able to do it without having to explain why I didn't have a tag and/or, why I felt threatened enough to justify killing it in the first place. (Although in the case of a Grizzly, I suppose the tag scenario wouldn't be an option anyway).

In addition to that, on my back, I carry a 12-Gauge short defender-style shotgun loaded with slugs. The scabbard that it sits in, straps on like a back-pack, and in no way hinders maneuverability with the bow or in the bush. The pistol-grip of the shotgun sits tight right behind my shoulder, and I can reach back and be armed in an instant.

In addition to that (if that fails), I always carry bear spray on my belt.

In addition to that (if that fails), I have a 16" Bowie knife sheathed on the front strap of the scabbard at my chest (for close combat).

In addition to that, (if that too fails), I have a good life-insurance policy so that my family is taken care of.

In addition to that, I am prepared to meet my maker. If I should die at the jaws of bear, I believe that God would agree that at least I had done all I could to stay alive, and that I didn’t go down without a fight!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grizzly.jpg (74.3 KB, 562 views)
File Type: jpg Grizzly 2.jpg (102.4 KB, 503 views)

Last edited by Artist; 09-13-2012 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Photo
Old 09-13-2012, 06:14 PM

You did exactly what I would have done.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist View Post
You did the right thing. Here are a few methods that I have implemented into my bowhunting adventures.

To begin with, that is why I always buy a bear tag. I likely would never shoot a bear otherwise, but, in the event that I would feel I’d have to shoot one, I want to be able to do it without having to explain why I didn't have a tag and/or, why I felt threatened enough to justify killing it in the first place. (Although in the case of a Grizzly, I suppose the tag scenario wouldn't be an option anyway).

In addition to that, on my back, I carry a 12-Gauge short defender-style shotgun loaded with slugs. The scabbard that it sits in, straps on like a back-pack, and in no way hinders maneuverability with the bow or in the bush. The pistol-grip of the shotgun sits tight right behind my shoulder, and I can reach back and be armed in an instant.

In addition to that (if that fails), I always carry bear spray on my belt.

In addition to that (if that fails), I have a 16" Bowie knife sheathed on the front strap of the scabbard at my chest (for close combat).

In addition to that, (if that too fails), I have a good life-insurance policy so that my family is taken care of.

In addition to that, I am prepared to meet my maker. If I should die at the jaws of bear, I believe that God would agree that at least I had done all I could to stay alive, and that I didn’t go down without a fight!
I either read or saw somewhere that i u use bear spray you have a better chance of not being attacked further if bear spray is used than a fire arm. So I think instread of carrying a bear gun im gonna use bear spray. If i am to die...I'd rather die in the woods in the food chain than in a car wreck

Old 09-13-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme hunter10 View Post
I either read or saw somewhere that i u use bear spray you have a better chance of not being attacked further if bear spray is used than a fire arm. So I think instread of carrying a bear gun im gonna use bear spray. If i am to die...I'd rather die in the woods in the food chain than in a car wreck
Thats the way I feel about it. I have a bear tag and will not hesitate to use it in defense, but in the off chance the bear gets me down, I will always have a free hand that will be pulling the 6" hunting knife from my belt (its a quick detatch, its pretty sweet actually) and the knife will be going into the bear as its tearing into me, first one to get something fatal wins. If its me I have a great story bad ass scars and a wicked mount, if the bear wins well, he will get a meal at a price of pain. I would rather be torn apart by wild animals then be killed by man kind. Cars, fires, murderers, crazy people ect. IMO any bear can bring it on BUT it better be prepared to lose an eye and blood
Old 09-14-2012, 12:57 AM

Default wolf

Bears arent the only thing to come to cow calls a couple years ago i put a arrow in a big lone wolf. I tracked him a long ways before the blood trail dried up. I hunt allow alot always care bear spray.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:00 AM

Glad to see people agree with what I did. I actually do have a black bear tag. That's the only reason now I think I should have waiting just a few more seconds to see if it was a blackie or a grizz. But due to being alone and that bear coming out as I was elk calling made me think it was in predator mode and I just didn't want to wait for it to locate me and then maybe charge in. Oh well, it was still an outstanding experience.

I try to be as safe as possible. Wife and a few buddies who know the areas I hunt always know where I am. Let my wife know with a quick text when I am on my way home. She was in tears last year when I was 3 hours later than normal in minus 40. Cell phone died and could not text her that I was staying later.

I do always carry bear spray ( never needed to use it ) and a bowie knife for "close encounters". I don't carry a rifle or shotgun. It's quite funny when people in my office hear about that knife, they give me looks like I'm physcho. But it's the people who know nothing about being in the bush/mountains. Then I show them some of the "critters" out there from my trail cameras and explain at least I have something on my body to grab and fight back with if the bear spray is not affective and I am taken down. Then they realize that it is not just a "red-neck Rambo" piece of decorartion. Hahahaha.

Went back to the same area yesterday afternoon with a hunting buddy, hoping that bear would come back, but no dice. We did however have 2 wt bucks and doe come within 30 yards of us, but busted us before either one of us could draw.

Thanks for the replies and be safe out there. :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BlackBear.jpg (103.4 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg BlackBear_2cubs.jpg (96.0 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg Cougar.jpg (89.6 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg Grizz.jpg (55.9 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg GrizzTracks.jpg (44.2 KB, 270 views)
Old 09-14-2012, 08:07 AM

Default well.....

The hills are full of lions and tigers and bears... oh my

perhaps I'll see a Liger some day....

You should feel very badly. You deprived that poor innocent super rare grizz its opportunity to have a very fattening meal that they really need to prep for winter. Next time stay there.

.... cmon! really? Wait till you get a cougar that comes to your call. That'll make ya shart!

I used to carry a shotty.... but I seriously seriously doubt I'd be able to get it ready b4 ole PooH is on me munchin away.

I've had 4 pretty serious (sphincter pinch) encounters with bears in the last 5 years.... 3 while bow hunting. Its pretty much part of the sport.

enjoy the risk.... Its probably more of a rush than base jumping.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 09-14-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
The hills are full of lions and tigers and bears... oh my

perhaps I'll see a Liger some day....

You should feel very badly. You deprived that poor innocent super rare grizz its opportunity to have a very fattening meal that they really need to prep for winter. Next time stay there.

.... cmon! really? Wait till you get a cougar that comes to your call. That'll make ya shart!

I used to carry a shotty.... but I seriously seriously doubt I'd be able to get it ready b4 ole PooH is on me munchin away.

I've had 4 pretty serious (sphincter pinch) encounters with bears in the last 5 years.... 3 while bow hunting. Its pretty much part of the sport.

enjoy the risk.... Its probably more of a rush than base jumping.
there ya go! Hit it right on the head. I agreeX10
Old 09-14-2012, 11:52 AM

You did the right thing. A number of years ago there was a fellow mauled up on Thunder mountain West of Rocky Mtn House, early season Elk hunting if I recall. Was going to head into the same spot and seen his vehicle parked there and decided to go else where, then read about the mauling later on in the paper.
You never know with bears, I had one (black) charge in while calling moose, now he is a rug. Pretty good adrenaline rush to say the least. But we were loaded with tags and ready for just about anything.
Always better to be safe then sorry.

BW
Old 09-14-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
but in the off chance the bear gets me down, I will always have a free hand that will be pulling the 6" hunting knife from my belt (its a quick detatch, its pretty sweet actually) and the knife will be going into the bear as its tearing into me, first one to get something fatal wins. If its me I have a great story bad ass scars and a wicked mount, if the bear wins well, he will get a meal at a price of pain.... IMO any bear can bring it on BUT it better be prepared to lose an eye and blood
Wow.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Wow.
Double wow!
Old 09-14-2012, 05:47 PM

Default Tripple WOW

Tripple WOW... I'd hate to be THAT bear. Although, I get the emotion and the confidence in the post. I've watched some bear attacks on video, and, frankly, if a bear decides he's going to go to work on a hunter, there's a slim chance that any amount of bear spray, knives, or even slugs are going to do much to change the bear's mind. That "slim" chance however, as "slim" as it is, is a good thing to be equipped for if things get that slim!
Old 09-14-2012, 05:55 PM

Cool

Quote:
Tripple WOW... I'd hate to be THAT bear. Although, I get the emotion and the confidence in the post. I've watched some bear attacks on video, and, frankly, if a bear decides he's going to go to work on a hunter, there's a slim chance that any amount of bear spray, knives, or even slugs are going to do much to change the bear's mind. That "slim" chance however, as "slim" as it is, is a good thing to be equipped for if things get that slim!
Thats exactly right, if I get chosen as the meal for the day, im not gonna curl up in a ball and cry my eyes out till I run out of blood or pass out from shock, Would rather put up as best of a fight I could. Whether my ashes be spread through the woods or my corpse be spread through the woods in lil piles of poop, I will end up where I love one way or another. Besides you have a way higher risk of dying go to or come from the woods, not the woods themselves. Be safe out there everyone, The season is almost in full swing and we need to come home to our families after the hunt
Old 09-14-2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
Thats exactly right, if I get chosen as the meal for the day, im not gonna curl up in a ball and cry my eyes out till I run out of blood or pass out from shock, Would rather put up as best of a fight I could. Whether my ashes be spread through the woods or my corpse be spread through the woods in lil piles of poop, I will end up where I love one way or another. Besides you have a way higher risk of dying go to or come from the woods, not the woods themselves. Be safe out there everyone, The season is almost in full swing and we need to come home to our families after the hunt
I totally agree with you. There is honor being killed by the same animals you hunt. If its my time to die.. I would rather die being somethings food to survive, than something totally meaningless. Like all other prey in the forest.. Im gonna fight until there is no fight left. fight to the bitter end.
The other thing I dont want to happen... is to have that animal killed for what it was bred to do. to me that has never made any sense. maybe in the zoo not in the wild. if I die in the forest being eaten by a bear, cougar or wolf... I made one too many mental mistakes.. and to that i say.... Enjoy your dinner biatches... enjoy.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:22 AM

Default Bear contol... photos

Some photos of my "attempt to stay alive" setup.
The shotgun is a little Mossberg Maverick 88. [5 in the magazine, 1 in the chamber]. The backpack/scabbard was purchased at Seals Action Gear in Calgary. I love this setup. (Although it may look a bit awkward in the photos, once all the camo gear is on, this little setup straps on nice 'n snug). The Maverick sits muzzle down in the scabbard, and can be pulled out in an instant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bear control 1.jpg (29.0 KB, 275 views)
File Type: jpg Bear control 2.jpg (58.0 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg Bear control 3.jpg (28.6 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg Bear control 4.jpg (29.0 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpg Bear control 5.jpg (29.3 KB, 236 views)
Old 09-15-2012, 03:59 AM

I grew up in Kenora Ontario. Every fall we would have black bears in town. One year was the worst with all the forest fires arround. We had 585 black bear trankelized or shot by police. If you think a shot gun with slugs will take down a hungry bear at 20 yards your wrong. I hope you have good aim. On more then one incedent the officers had to put 3 or more slugs into a bear to get him to drop. Those were charging at them.

That year I was chased three times. If you think it is a rush it was. But in the end what I learnt was that being lood and big will most likely get you out of 90% of an attack.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
The shotgun is a little Mossberg Maverick 88. [5 in the magazine, 1 in the chamber]. The backpack/scabbard was purchased at Seals Action Gear in Calgary. I love this setup. (Although it may look a bit awkward in the photos, once all the camo gear is on, this little setup straps on nice 'n snug). The Maverick sits muzzle down in the scabbard, and can be pulled out in an instant.
Haha...I thought this was a joke till I read your post! Man....looks like you're preparing for the Zombie apocalypse!!
Old 09-15-2012, 10:54 AM

Default @ Gbuss

From previous post: "If you think a shot gun with slugs will take down a hungry bear at 20 yards your wrong."

Yes, while that may be true in most cases, there have been hunters who have managed to avoid an attack, because they were at least somewhat prepared. Notice, I call this my "attempt to stay alive setup." As far as I see it, there's nothing lost by adding some protective measures to ones equipment. Who knows, maybe one day, I'll happen to come across another hunter being mauled (it might even be you) ...and boy, that little Maverick 88 might just come in pretty handy!
Old 09-15-2012, 03:40 PM

Default Shotgun Make-Action Type Preference

Ok guys, I would like to hear your opinion on the following for carry in a over the back/shoulder shotgun as spoke about in this thread;
1. Must have a pistol grip- Other than the North American makes what about European makes like benelli etc, do they make pistol grip variants?
2. Semi-Auto or Pump action, would the semi's cocking hammer get caught in the scabard sad you withdrew it??

Any info would be appreciated as am going to make a purchase shortly-thanks
Old 09-15-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Bears are fast, by the time you got you hand on the shot gun yogi would be on you beating the crap out of you. You might think you fast but my money is on the bear. Play dead or you will be.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:49 PM

Default ...bears are fast...

Bears are indeed fast, yet, it is impossible to predict or presume to know what exactly might unfold in any given situation. The idea that "bears are too fast, so don't bother carrying a shotgun with you" is quite amusing. No, the shotgun is not a guarantee, BUT, in a possible scenario, where a bear is charging or coming after two hunters, and only one of the hunters has a shotgun, and the questions is proposed, "Which hunter would you rather be; the one with the shotgun, or the one without the shotgun?" ...I think the answer is quite obvious.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:56 PM

Default @ Dan856

I suggest you check out the inventory at The Shooting Edge in Calgary. I believe they carry the higher end shotguns that you're referring to. They also carry a good selection of accessories (pistol grips ect.)
Old 09-15-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Bears are indeed fast, yet, it is impossible to predict or presume to know what exactly might unfold in any given situation. The idea that "bears are too fast, so don't bother carrying a shotgun with you" is quite amusing. No, the shotgun is not a guarantee, BUT, in a possible scenario, where a bear is charging or coming after two hunters, and only one of the hunters has a shotgun, and the questions is proposed, "Which hunter would you rather be; the one with the shotgun, or the one without the shotgun?" ...I think the answer is quite obvious.
nobody said anything about two hunters, but in that case I would just want to be sure I could run faster than the other guy. I bow hunted many years, saw a few bears but never once thought that I would need a shotgun to defend myself. If you want to carry all the extra gear around with you fine and dandy, thats your privelidge. I run faster than a guy carring lots of weight.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:08 PM

Default Bears are fast...

Running faster than "the other guy" does not equate to running faster than the bear. What if the bear chooses you instead of the slower guy? If I had to choose between "a slower guy" or a shotgun to be my lifeline in the event of a bear attack, I'd take the shotgun any day. (The fact that I hunt alone removes the "slower guy" option anyway. LOL... this is kinda turning into a pointless conversation I guess, but, I simply come back to the main point. Saying that bears are too fast, so don't bother carrying a shotgun, is like saying, fire is too fast, hot, and unpredictable, so don't bother having a fire extinguisher in your home.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:23 PM

Gents,

Can we please stay in the topic of my questions, I'm not interested in other peoples opinions on carrying or not carrying-Thanks